Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First paintball now SCUBA.. Well, my marine biology teacher got me interested in SCUBA.

I've always wanted to buy a scuba to fill my nitro tanks, but how abou for diving? I live near Boston, which has some of the dirtiest waters.. ever.. I'm not too far from Cape cod, and I guess I do a fair amount of traveling.

Well back to my point, I'm in my initial 'do immense loads of research' stage.. Can anyone help?

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
http://scuba.about.com/

just some links to get ya started

First off you have to get certified to be able to go scuba diving. Its just a class you take basicly like driving school. I was going to do it a few summers ago but got seriously sick and couldnt make it.

And i have scuba tanks and such, never got around to seeing if i could get em filled and then fill my paintball tank with em. Father was a navy diver among other things.

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats cool. MY teacher is an instructor, I think I forgot to mention that. He's actually a Marine biologist, so he actually knows abou what we're learning. It doesn't just come from a course he took 10 years ago in college. He did a 3 day underwater mission on some NOAA underwater lab.. Pretty cool guy.

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not?

I just wish the water was cleaner here in MA. I can see myself diving every weekend if I lived in say, the florida keys or somewhere where the water isnt black.

Honestly, in most places in Boston Harbor, there is a nice oil sheen over the water, swimming is pretty much prohibited, and the way the sewer system and rain runoff systems are done, if we get a lot of rain, rain runoff mixes with sewage and RAW SEWAGE is dumped into Boston Harbor. Recently the higher ups told everyone to STFO and they're now working on it.

We have a huge beach in my city that nobody ever goes to. You cant swim in it becuase its too nasty. Its disgusting.

·
Registered
905 Posts
my mom was about to get certified, but she wussed out on the last dive that she had to go on. She still had her wetsuit and weight belt and stuff, i used to wear it around the house when i was a chillin.

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
Revere Beach, MA > all

yeah right..

·
45's to the sky
4,355 Posts
Yeah, I've been certified for like a year now.

I've been diving in Key Largo, Florida like 3 different occasions, as well as the Bahamas once, and we also dive in Ohio at Gilboa stone quarry, which is an old stone quarry turned to dive site. It's really fun.

I definitely suggest you get certified.

Brandon

·
Registered
296 Posts
It can get expensive for sure but only if you have to buy your own gear. If you don't mind renting gear its not that bad. You can get certified for under $500. If you plan on buying your own gear, expect to spend around $1000 on gear alone.

I had to buy my own gear cause I live on lake erie and do salvage diving. I may get called at 3am cause a boat sank and I have to go get wet. Can't rent gear that time of night

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I prefer steak. And you cant get fish from boston harbor. Well you COULD, but you'd probably die of cancer in like 20 minutes.

You know the song "Dirty Water" by the standells? They wernt kidding. No lie, if you take a 5 gallon jug of water and fill it with boston harbor water, you wouldn't be able to see through it. If you could see through it, there would probably be a brownish black tint or a green tint to the water.

Every year a torso or two washes up on shore of one of the islands.

I wouldn't swim anywhere near boston. Maybe glouster and higher.

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
intotheflats said:
It can get expensive for sure but only if you have to buy your own gear. If you don't mind renting gear its not that bad. You can get certified for under $500. If you plan on buying your own gear, expect to spend around $1000 on gear alone.

I had to buy my own gear cause I live on lake erie and do salvage diving. I may get called at 3am cause a boat sank and I have to go get wet. Can't rent gear that time of night
Cool **** (by the way, if you want to pm me or get ahold of me via aim (TheAlphaMag), I need to talk to you about somethign forum related.)

I'm a pretty big guy (not fat, just big. 5'11 and 180lbs), so would it make sense for me to get a bigger tank? I was thinking of getting an 80cf catalina for paintball, but I might get something different.

I live in Boston, where its cold most of the year, so would it make sense for me to get a dry suit as opposed to a wetsuit?

·
Registered
296 Posts
It would be best to stick with an 80 tank they are most standard. The only thing you would gain by going to a bigger tank is a little more water time. It has nothing to do with your size though, just how you breath. I have seen 120lb girls (my wife) suck down an 80 tank within 20min where I can make an 80 last about 45 or sometimes an hour depending on depth.

As far as getting a drysuit, there is actually a special certification you have to have to dive in a dry suit. Basically, if you are in a dry suit at 80 feet down and you get a puncture or hole in your suit, your in real trouble. I would just get a good wetsuit. A good 7mil wetsuit will be good to about 50 degree water temp.

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool.. So what about BC's? Their purpose is to keep me afloat (counteracting any weights and the tank), but what actually secures my tank to me? Does it attach to the back of the BC?

Contact lenses cool for diving? I'd rather not have to spend on perscription goggles.

This reminds me so much of when I first learned about paintball.. I'm trying to not assume anything. I remember when I almost bought a 21 inch barrel...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts