Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they can be helped, but in ways other than throwing food/false infrastructure at them. I'll get more into that as the thread develops.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
The public health problem will be solved by helping them fix their corrupt governments, not by giving them health assistance directly.

Countries in Africa are filthy rich in resources, but the money never reaches the people because government officials take it all for themselves. Solve that problem and so many other issues will be over with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The public health problem will be solved by helping them fix their corrupt governments, not by giving them health assistance directly.

Countries in Africa are filthy rich in resources, but the money never reaches the people because government officials take it all for themselves. Solve that problem and so many other issues will be over with.
This is also the problem with the amount of money spend on AID vaccines, it doesnt really help to get the vaccine just to resell it. (in Africa)

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
The problem with the aids vaccine is that more people are living. So they are having more children who are consuming more aid resources, and then getting aids. I'm not saying we should let them die, but I think we are taking the wrong approach to Africa.

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
I bet you wouldn't say that if they were rich white woman dieing instead of poor black people, but then I've always suspected you as a closet racist.

In anycase, there's an economist at the U of Chicago who theorises that international trade is the cause of the spread of AIDs. Kinda interesting.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
I bet you wouldn't say that if they were rich white woman dieing instead of poor black people, but then I've always suspected you as a closet racist.
I bet you're an idiot. You base that on nothing whatsoever. You don't know me, and you barely know anything about me.

AIDs has nothing to do with race. There are plenty of rich white women with AIDs, but it's not an epidemic among them for many reasons (that have nothing to do with their color).

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the correct approach with Africa NYY?

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
Like I said, we have to fix their governments. A lot of those countries have hundreds of billions of dollars, most of which go into Swiss bank accounts. One of the people that ran for president in Nigeria flew to Europe for some minor medical treatment recently. Their governments are unimaginably corrupt. And that is why Africans are suffering.

Fix the governments, and money will start flowing down to the people. They will be able to use oil revenues to fund schools, hospitals. They'll be able to build up their infrastructure which creates jobs. They'll be able to have free elections, freedom of press, etc..

How do we do this? That's the hard part.

Here's an interesting read for anyone that might be interested.
http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0702/feature3/
Nigeria is something like the 8th largest exporter of oil in the world, but its people suffer from some of the worst poverty.

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
Like I said, we have to fix their governments. A lot of those countries have hundreds of billions of dollars, most of which go into Swiss bank accounts. One of the people that ran for president in Nigeria flew to Europe for some minor medical treatment recently. Their governments are unimaginably corrupt. And that is why Africans are suffering.

Fix the governments, and money will start flowing down to the people. They will be able to use oil revenues to fund schools, hospitals. They'll be able to build up their infrastructure which creates jobs. They'll be able to have free elections, freedom of press, etc..

How do we do this? That's the hard part.

Here's an interesting read for anyone that might be interested.
http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0702/feature3/
Nigeria is something like the 8th largest exporter of oil in the world, but its people suffer from some of the worst poverty.
Embrace your closet racism, don't run away from it.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.rff.org/rff/Documents/RFF-RPT-Patent.pdf

Essentially, increasing agriculture yields by realigning our biotech patents increases food which lowers incidence of disease, poverty, and war (all being interrelated with hunger as the underlying cause).

I think that's the best policy option, which is why it's our plan for this year's Policy Debate's resolution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts