Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to ask everyone i know...Geek Squad was no help...Best Buy is my only option right now...and its like 62 bucks an hour...which isnt what i want to do..

here's the story

i got a new entertainment center...for my computer of course...so i cleaned all my drawers out and what not, and unplugged the computer powered it down before so... and then moved it outta the way put in the new desk and plugged everything back up turned the compy on...nothing.. monitor doesnt pick up anything keyboard picks up nothing mouse doesnt come on...the only thing i put on before i turned it off was a driver for my handy cam and i renewed my nortons and upgraded to 2006...any suggestions on what could have went wrong...i didnt drop it...i didnt uninstall anything...i didnt disable anything...it was blazing faces when i turned it off now its dead...WTF HAPPENED?!?

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, yeh the computer still comes on, the graphics card fan is even running...and all the fans are on...the only thing a local guy told me is to check my pins all my chords..which i already did...and would be highly unlikely to bend a pin on every single one of my devices...and my mouse works with my laptop...so...im baffled...im fixin to call HP though..

·
Pneumatically Insane ©
2,595 Posts
Go talk to a small computer shop, people that aren't looking for a quick buck, or sale. They should tell you.

OR

If you bought your computer from a business (Dell, Sony etc.) call them up and tell them to fix it. You might want to take out any valuable though (G card etc.)

IDK what else, I think a computer guy should know

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i consider myself a computer guy...

i had an emachine before this...and i had to fix...EVERYTHING daily on it...thats why i finnally got this new one...i called HP they said they could help me...there is still a warranty on it...so it seems like im in luck... they are gonna try to walk me through it over the phone first..and if that doesnt work i think they said thay would send someone out to help me...

too bad i gotta work tonight and tommorrow...so thats not getting done till saturday.....

::breaks into Fall Out Boy Song...-Saturday::

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
Does your computer beep once during the boot process, or does it make no sound at all? If nothing but the fans spin, you could have knocked something loose in your case. Make sure that the P1 connector is seated firmly on the motherboard, that your hard drive data cables aren't loose on either end, and that the power cables are hooked on the hard drive(s) well. Another thing to check for is that the RAM is seated properly on the motherboard.

Hope one of these fixes it.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
This may be dumb but it will cause these symptoms. Is your keyboard plugged into the correct port? It should be in the port closest to the outside of the computer case (on all the motherboards ive seen anyway. Some motherboards (including my P4P800) will not do anything if the keyboard is accidently plugged into the mouse port.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PizzaMiLiTiA said:
Does your computer beep once during the boot process, or does it make no sound at all? If nothing but the fans spin, you could have knocked something loose in your case. Make sure that the P1 connector is seated firmly on the motherboard, that your hard drive data cables aren't loose on either end, and that the power cables are hooked on the hard drive(s) well. Another thing to check for is that the RAM is seated properly on the motherboard.

Hope one of these fixes it.
wow do you work for HP? lol...i had done tried majority of that when i called HP and he wanted me to do it again...but then i reset the breaker on it and it came on miraculousley...and then he was like dont celebrate yet unplug it and put it back in your entertainment center...and i was like ok so when i plugged it back in...nothing..

Motherboard Failure...turns out...29 bucks to send someone out to fix it...im gonna do it seeing as best buy costs 62 and geeksquad costs 130 and those dont include the part i need...so...i cant fix it by myself without a new board...so i figure this would be easiest...

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
yeah... hp isnt too big of a step up from emachine.. i have an emachine right now.. it runs okay.. but that's about it... HP and emachine are pretty much the same company and all... glad you figured out what it was though... that sucks that it''s your mobo though...

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pretty much the same company? how bout...No!!?

Gateway bought Emachine...and my HP is way better than any Emachine could hope for...and way better customer service with HP too... HP and Compaq now there is 2 companies that are one in the same... Compaq is like Dye's Proto...

if you find me a better built computer to do what i do then ill buy it..if its in the same price range as my HP was... the only thing i had to add to the HP was a graphics card...

and meh the motherboard no biggie just a manufacturing error...happens lots of times...if i had to pay for a new mobo then i would be mad but its free so im happy.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
xWesXHimselfx said:
pretty much the same company? how bout...No!!?

Gateway bought Emachine...and my HP is way better than any Emachine could hope for...and way better customer service with HP too... HP and Compaq now there is 2 companies that are one in the same... Compaq is like Dye's Proto...
well hp got compaq and now i think way less of hp... only becuase i really hate compaqs lol. it was hp that bought compaq not the other way right?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts