Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day PBF, I've come to you for a scarce visit (wish it could be on better terms) because I need help with something going on, I'm not sure how to handle the situation. And it's some pretty serious stuff, so assholes and people who aren't going to take this seriously need not read farther.

So let me first say, before somebody suggests it, I didn't post this in the dating/relationship thread because it's not about the relationship. I can handle the relationship on my own.

So here's the background story. Been dating this girl for a couple of months. I started talking to her in April actually, that's when our feelings and nice stuff started but she had to move for a while so it was long distance, I wouldn't say we actually started dating until September. Anyways, she's an amazing girl, but she's into using pills. Uppers, downers, stuff like that. And like, I had never tried that kind of stuff before, so I experimented with it with her, and I guess kind of started using it, too. A month ago-ish, I dislocated my knee because of doing something careless while on pills, so that's when I decided I would stop doing it. And I did, successfully. I told my girlfriend that I didn't care if she still did them just as long as she was careful and didn't do anything to herself, so things were good for a while, but eventually she did start hurting herself. I tried to help her, but she wouldn't accept it, and eventually broke up with me (this is less than a week ago) because of the stress it was having on our relationship.

So about two days after we break up, she calls me and asks me if I wanted to hang (I had posted a bulletin on ******* about getting snakebites) so I figure, I still like her a lot, what's the worst that could happen. So that night, after I get my piercings we're hanging at my place just talking, and she bursts out crying. And she says that she needs help, she wants to stop. She says she's going to be out of pills in a week, and she doesn't want to get anymore. But she says that every time she tries to go off of them (I got her to stop for two weeks at one time) she feels massively depressed. Her main pill usage is of anti-depressants, because she does have a problem with depression, I believe.

I told her that we need to take her to see a doctor, to figure things out. And I told her that she probably does need to be on medication, but not the random cock-tails of unknown pills she's been known to take in the past, she needs to be on a doctor prescribed plan. She does not think she is addicted, and neither do I, because she doesn't feel compelled to do them or she doesn't "need" them in her daily life. But she does admit that it is much easier on her to be on anti-depressants than without.

Here's where my advice comes into play, I don't know where to guide her further. I won't be able to get her to the doctor until next week because she absolutely will not go with anybody but me because I am the only one she's told, and because I can't drive right now because of my knee. So we're looking at probably next Tuesday/Wednesday until she can take the next step towards help. Until then, what are things we should be doing to prepare for that doctor's visit? I assume that she needs to stop taking pills immediately so that way it will be out of her system when we visit the doctor. She does plan on telling the doctor her entire history of abuse so that way he can help her better.

Any further advice would he helpful. I feel so much heartache for her and her struggles with this crap, I just want her to be able to beat it so bad.

·
Michael
1,406 Posts
have her be as honest with the doctor as possible. A misunderstanding of just how dependent upon the pills she really is is NOT going to allow the doctor to help her at all. In terms of advice....take it to the experts man...There are some smart people on PBF but in the end this is gonna be between her, her willpower, and her doctors/rehab people. You should stay involved but be aware that if the going starts getting really tough for her...its going to be hard to find that balance between being too involved and not being involved enough.

·
i haz teh titties
199 Posts
As an addict myself and from the perspective of dating an addict (neither one of us has used anything in 2 years but once I feel that once you're an addict you're always an addict) I'm going to tell you this out of honesty and respect. If she has a serious problem and it sounds like she does, its going to be a long, ****ty process for her to recover.

She should seek help from a clinic or a rehab center. Check around in your area for free support groups at churches and community centers. She should look to get into therapy if she has depression because in all honesty a general practitioner can't really help her get to the route of her depression unless it is a chemical imbalance.

Having her stop using immediately could have a negative outcome because once those chemicals are in her brain and she stops using them, she could get suicidal or have serious other problems. Even when a doctor prescribes a psychotropic medication and they feel that the patient doesn't need them anymore, they begin to wean the patient off of them by cutting the dosage.

You're in for a rocky road, she's got the first step down which is admitting she has a problem but the next couple steps are hard. Recovering from addiction is a long and arduous process that has many uphill battles.

Get her to agree to go to counseling, then get her to go to support groups. Have her cut her intake back. You may also discover that the Doctor won't prescribe her anything with her past history of abuse and recommend that she go to rehab or get professional mental health treatment.

If she isn't committed fully to recover then you need to cut her off and not talk to her anymore she needs to be in this %100.

Sorry you have to deal with this dude, caring about an addict is tough.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Agreed with above. Make sure she sees an expert. and above all, be there for her. I know it sucks sometimes, but stick with her. help her anyway you can. It's not easy going through it alone, (or at all for that matter), but at least if she has someone to turn to she will look to you first and the pills second. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

·
Supporter
3,646 Posts
I'm assuming this was the cute scene girl on your ******* randy?

that sucks though, doctor intervention would probably help a lot though.
And even though this probably isn't what you're looking for, maybe get her off the pills and tell her to start smoking weed. Won't give you the high of pills, but its still enjoyable and a lot safer/less addicting.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I know this sounds wierd but you could try to get her a substitute drug. A good pot high will beat most drugs(that iv tried) IMO, that or X. Sounds like whatever shes taking makes her a danger to herself, and assuming shes buying the pills, get her to spend her money elsewhere. Usually when a person(like her) uses an illegal drug, they usually use JUST that drug, mainly because they dont have the funds for anything else.
Mayb smoke weed with her a few times, and everytime she wasnts to take a pill just go smoke.

X is ok for once in a while, if its less harmful(its really not that harmful to begin with) than what shes taking then mayb she will like it better.

Main point is to find a substitute with something less dangerous but still fulfills her urge.

EDIT: Of course the situation could be too deep and serious already to do this.
(btw im not just pulling this out of my ass, i know some people that stopped with shrooms and the occasional acid by just smoking weed and chilling)

·
i haz teh titties
199 Posts
I don't know if replacing an addiction with another is necessarily a good idea...

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I'm going through the same thing with my girl(except she also has cutting on top of pills), except I tried to be there too much and she has all but pushed me away. Man all I can say is be there for her, just a little hug can go a long way. She needs to find a release when life gets her down. For some it's paintballin, others weed, others sports, others(Me) it's poetry, writing music, there are loads of them. Her problem is finding her release other than the pills she so easily turns to.

I've been trying to get that into my girls head, and it has started to work slowly, but I've been doing a lot of damage to the relationship selfishly because the pain of not having her was more than I could take(Do not let that take effect, if you have that pain). You both are in for a rough emotional battle, but you'll pull through man, never loose faith.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I don't know if replacing an addiction with another is necessarily a good idea...

Well youd be replacing one drug with another less addictive drug with similar effects. So they you can quit from there easier than the other drug. I know it sounds silly but I'V seen it work. Make sure she doesnt take both though, because if she pops a pill then smokes a joint the weed will give the pill a kick, giving it a really good high, so then she'd want to take both, which isnt fixing anything.

Just out of curiosity do you know any names of what shes taking? Is it like, prescription stuff or what.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I know this sounds wierd but you could try to get her a substitute drug. A good pot high will beat most drugs(that iv tried) IMO, that or X. Sounds like whatever shes taking makes her a danger to herself, and assuming shes buying the pills, get her to spend her money elsewhere. Usually when a person(like her) uses an illegal drug, they usually use JUST that drug, mainly because they dont have the funds for anything else.
Mayb smoke weed with her a few times, and everytime she wasnts to take a pill just go smoke.

X is ok for once in a while, if its less harmful(its really not that harmful to begin with) than what shes taking then mayb she will like it better.

Main point is to find a substitute with something less dangerous but still fulfills her urge.

(btw im not just pulling this out of my ass, i know some people that stopped with shrooms and the occasional acid by just smoking weed and chilling)
Oh my god, stop. Just..stop. Jesus.

·
Registered BAMF
221 Posts
hmmm... not sure if this will help atall or not seeing as i have no experience with ANYTHING like this, but i find it helpful to try and take her mind off of it, whenever someone i know is upset about something or something is bothering them like a guy, or in your case an addiction, i like to distract them, try taking her to a carnival or something..

hope that helps

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
What pills were you taking to do stupid ****?

I usually take a few tabs and just like sit / lay on a couch somewhere and just chill out. The only time I've ever "hurt" myself on them was when I was unloading a truck at work and had a big box of god knows what fall on me. Not a serious hurt but it hurt the next day for sure.

I've known people who are addicted had a g.f this time last year actually who was. but imo she wasn't really. ( She did them some but never a lot at a time or anything at all. ) She went to rehab and one of my best friends was hooked on them. ( Me and him used to do them a lot of times in a week. im talkin A LOT ) He wanted to stop didnt really matter to me addictions are mental **** imo. so I just quit and if I did do some or know where some was I just didnt tell him. Him and I both havent done anything in probably 2 months or more.

I dont really know how to handle someone who genuinely thinks they're addicted.

-wes.

EDIT: Damn I lied. I had an OC last week. qq

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts
First try to find out why she is useing these pills. You mentioned her using anti-depressants but is she really epressed? If she is, try to make her happy :cool: if sh isnt depressed, find out why she is using them. Then once you find out whats wrong, try to fix it or do the opposite of what is bothering her.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
i popped pills for quite a while. she's got a lot in front of her. just be with her no matter what she says because she will say **** that she doesn't mean.

a lot of posts in this thread really pissed me off but i don't feel that i should rip anyone apart. but don't judge addiction or have opinions on it until you've been an addict yourself.

my 2 cents

feel free to PM me

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts

Not to insult you but, your kinda saying, "here, smoke weed to stop poppin pills" i used to be addicted to cigarettes for awhile but i didnt go smoke crack as a replacement...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.