Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should they be able to post the 10 commandments or not? Its a new issue with the supreme court lately. Thats an issue i feel everyone can discuss......without too much flaming.

·
12,110 Posts
YEs, without doubt. Theres mention of religion throughout the political history of the US. ITs more of a history thing. I dont see what all the hubub is about.

This is all coming from someone who isn't religious at all.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, i see your point, but the idea behind this I almost disagree with. If you can do that, I want to be able to run jihad propaganda as well. See what I'm saying?

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
Its freedom of speech. It is also the "laws" of certain religion so its fitting inside a court system. None of the commandments oppose anything that is in the US constitution or any other American law documents.

Jihad, if i am not mistake, is a holy war. The ten commandments have NOTHING to do with war. If people wanted to put the Muslim law up somewhere, i dont protest that, as long as theres nothing in there against American beliefs and laws. Such as the inferiority of women. Thats against American standards. Im sure there are others but im not looking them up right now.

And what do you mean "almost disagree with"? Either you do or don't. Don't hide behind an ambiguous answer if you are going to discuss something.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I'll be honest, I disagree. Maybe I won't use "Jihadist propaganda" but I'll find something, to stick right next to the ten commandments. If it flys, I'm just fine with it being posted, if it don't, Then there is an issue.

·
12,110 Posts
WEll look at the 10 commandments. Except for the first two, all of the rest of them are all laws within our legal system. Don't lie, don't steal, don't rape.. These are things that all people of any creed can embrace.

People are so worried about being politicly correct. They are afraid that its going to insult someone else or that it insults them.

They just look for things to argue about. People love to argue.

D

·
0 Posts
its not really that the laws themselves agree with eachother..

its that its part of a certian religious group/idea that differs from others.. and the ones that it does agree with will think they have more power and authority cuz of the now politics behind it..

gov and religion should be seperate... religion was a tool for rulers to justify their actions.. and often religion was changed, edited, and rewritten to suit new rulers.. that is propaganda.. that is a means of justifying otherwise unjust things

religion has no place in politics.. so many religious tools are whining about god this and god that cause of the same-sex marriage issue in canada right now.. the liberal party is looking to legalize same-sex marriage.. its ****ing awesome, great step for canadian democracy.. but religious junkies cant see it for what it is.

which is why i wrote a letter to editor, which will be in the paper next week. word

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
i honestly could care less. Im not religious, and i wouldnt mind seeing the ten commandments outside of a court room. It shows that the people there have strong values and believe in justice.

·
TooMuch****inGREENandGREY
1,292 Posts
if they take the 10 commandments out then they need to get the bible out of there to. im catholic but i dont really care either way, but if they take the commandments out they need to get it all out

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As long as i can post my religious stuff right next to it, its just fine. I'm in no way super religious, and I'm not against gay sex marriages etc etc., this type of issue usually don't bother me, but this does.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
ComradeMolyneux said:
No... outdated theology shouldn't be anywhere near our government.
and please, humor me. Where is this "outdated theology" used in our law system? Where is there laws based upon the 10 commandments? Are Americans subject to what Christians follow as their own moral set of laws? Didnt think so.

It is a symbol. Offensive? How? Please humor me. it overlaps some of our country's judicial system, and is one of the oldest known set of laws known to all mankind.

Please, humor me.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
dhill0413 said:
Where is this "outdated theology" used in our law system? ....
It is a symbol. Offensive? How? Please humor me.
agreed. while i would love to hear heis response, no religious debates.

and yes there is nothing wrong with the 10 commandments being displayed... there is NOTHING outdated about it... dont steal? dont kill? yeah I think some of them apply pretty well to today.

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
The issue is not religious in nature. Church and state should remain seperate for the very reasons that Derek has cited. Should the 10 commandments be represented, then this can be interpreted as a state endorsement of a particular school of religious thought.

The law is supposed to trancend all religions and to treat all those that come before the bench with equality. If there is an alleged endoresement of a particular religion, then there is an inherent bias applied to all lawmaking and adjudication. In other words, this would be saying "here is the 'official' religon" and it would imply that if you are not of that particular faith, that you are somehow in violation of the state's edicts and therefore it opens up the possibility to punative measures against a person based on thier faith.

While it is true that this country was founded on religous freedoms, it is particularly important to remember that this very religous freedoms was freedom from governmental religon. The first american settlers were being persecuted by the GOVERNMENT for practicing a faith contrary to the "official" faith -- which at the time was the anglican church.

If government gets involved in religon, then persecution is not far behind -- despite the intentions to the contrary.

So, no; the 10 commandments do not have a role in government.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.