Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sloth Extrodinare
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you like better and why? How long did it take you to learn one or another?

·
I Can't Think Of Anything
131 Posts
i prefer snowboarding,it took me less to learn how, and u have a lesser risk of breaking your knees because ur skis got out of control.

skis get lost easily. also the batons and the stuff. in snowboard it's only the board and you, and generally it has a better feeling

·
0 Posts
Snowboarding on average is more difficult to learn than skiing and thus usually takes longer to learn, with most people anyway, though this is not the case with some people.

I have done both, enjoy both but i'm going to say snowboarding is better for me because i once had a pretty bad fall on skis and it was made all the worse by poles and flying skiis getting all tangled up. Fall with a snowboard, no problem, it's just the snowboard sliding away from you. Mind you i've also had some pretty bad falls on snowboard, even sprained my wrist and elbow trying to do rails once.

I already knew how to snowboard and had done water skiing when i took up snow skiing. Snowboarding took me about 3 days to learn the basics, skiing i got the basics down within a few hours of the first day.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
Iv done both as well, skiing was crazy easy to learn for me because i have been rollerskating for so long (not everything transfers but it does help) I tryed to switch to snowboarding after a few seasons of skiing, horribly failed, then a few years off the slopes my uncle gave me his old boarding gear and i went up again, picked it up no problem, carving a good line on a board is way more satisfying then doing it on skis, and powder is night and day better on a board (getting stuck in powder is night and day worse though)

granted 90% of people dont pick it up as easily as i did but i feel it is well worth the inital frustrations

typically the first day is very frustrating, but if you get through that it gennerally goes uphill from there (well downhill but you know what i mean)

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts
Im not a fan of either. And yes, ive skied AND snowboarded so shush. I actually prefer snow mobileing. But if my friend wanted me to go snow boarding on a weekend, i would go just to get out of the house and hang with my friend even though im not a big fan.

·
Michael
1,406 Posts
Iv done both as well, skiing was crazy easy to learn for me because i have been rollerskating for so long (not everything transfers but it does help) I tryed to switch to snowboarding after a few seasons of skiing, horribly failed, then a few years off the slopes my uncle gave me his old boarding gear and i went up again, picked it up no problem, carving a good line on a board is way more satisfying then doing it on skis, and powder is night and day better on a board (getting stuck in powder is night and day worse though)

granted 90% of people dont pick it up as easily as i did but i feel it is well worth the inital frustrations

typically the first day is very frustrating, but if you get through that it gennerally goes uphill from there (well downhill but you know what i mean)
this was my experience as well

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
im a skier. this thread reflects what ive been seeing on most NE mountains... the age demographic that most of you are in is obsessed with boarding

ive done both, and both well, and i've gotta say, skiing is a much more pure experience IMO. Both are boatloads of fun though.

i'm rockin some classic line ghettoblasters, dynastar twintip concepts, and some line 1260s. all badass skis, love em.

where do you guys shred? (mountain wise)

btw... i have an old burton shaun white (forget the name, has a bull) board with burton custom bindings. if anyone may be interested in buying that i'll get some pictars/size/info :)

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
pacific northwest (seattle area), crystal mountain is my favorite within driving range, snoqualmi is decent although more of a hill than a mountain. I have been to whistler and if you guys ever want one heck of a boarding/skiing vacation that is the place to do it

·
0 Posts
When i lived in ontario i used to board constantly in Calabogie, every winter break. Off an on weekends also did camp fortune (quebec) when i was poor, and when i had a job i tried to do mt tremblant (also quebec) 1 weekend a year (tis mighty expensive to get there and ski there).

Also been Whistler/Blackomb once back in 98 before it got all big and popular, sweetest place to ski in the world.

·
Αdministrator
5,683 Posts
Skiing is a lot easier to pick up. Everyone can do the pizza slice/snow plow. I guess it's just easier for beginners since your two feet aren't connected, so there aren't as many balance issues. Snowboarding is definitely harder to learn.

I snowboard, but if I could, I would do both. Freestyle skiing looks pretty legit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i prefer snowboarding,it took me less to learn how, and u have a lesser risk of breaking your knees because ur skis got out of control.

skis get lost easily. also the batons and the stuff. in snowboard it's only the board and you, and generally it has a better feeling
i used to skateboard so snowboarding was easier to pick up and i just like the style that goes along with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts