Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I asked this exact question over at the other forum, but maybe I can get a respectable answer over here instead of the usual STFO.

What is the fascination with the Skyline? It's not very good looking, it's not very powerful, the only thing on paper really remotely interesting is the 4 wheel steering, which has been around since at least the 40's. It's not even on the list of best handling production cars. What is it about this car that elevates it to such a god like status? Is it because they have never been available in the US or what? Seriously, I would like to know.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
iam not really sure but i have always liked the way the R34 skylines looked theres just something about it i like now i wouldnt give it a god like status but its definatly a decent car and does have some potential IMO now i am just going by what i have seen and readi dont have any hands on experiance with em so idk for a fact

so yeah i just like em because i do i think they look pretty good i love the interior in them and its something i would be happy driving even stock

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
CGras90 said:
because brian had one in fast and the furious :sly:
That's gotta be like 80% of it. lol.

I like the way the R34's look though.

US Price against performance? Not so attractive.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
RWD I6 drift car.

Basically, all the asians hyped it up and americans fell in love. Yet when the Mustang GT beat the Skyline in drifting or something. *Idk I saw it on TV*

Don't get me wrong, I like Skylines, but IMO they aren't all cracked up to be.

·
1,751 Posts
Skylines are popular because over there it is their "supercar". Just remeber, the NSX is a crazy fast car over there.

Then of course add on the fact that we don't get them over here, and you have a fan base. Everyone wants what they can't have.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
CoWcH said:
Skylines are popular because over there it is their "supercar". Just remeber, the NSX is a crazy fast car over there.

Then of course add on the fact that we don't get them over here, and you have a fan base. Everyone wants what they can't have.
The NSX is pretty fast over here too.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
CoWcH said:

bingo. if 3000gt's werent available to the american public, and only in japan, then ALL importers would want to have one SOOO bad. Its just the way it is.

to the fast and the furious crowds (sadly 80% of the import enthusiast world) to have a fast car you need "over-night parts from japan", and the skyline is A WHOLE CAR OF OVERNIGHT PARTS FROM JAPAN! FTW! :hug:

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Its the ultimate japanese supercar, plainly put. When you import one over here and motorex legalizes it, it produces near 400 crank-hp(don't quote me on this). Like the 2JZ-GTE platform, the RB26DETT can take a buttload of power on the bottom-end. Personally, I want to build up a 97-98 240SX with one of these in them, and besides, the SR20DET swap is about as commom anymore as a B-series into a honda. But, back to topic, skyline has a lot of technology going for it. For instance, their Super HICCAS system(I think that's what it is) lets you have AWD and RWD. For instance, on launch, system senses rear-wheels slipping, engages front ones to turn, and vioula, AWD launch. Once the system senses the rear-wheels aren't slipping anymore, the front ones lose power and the car becomes RWD. Once you enter a corner and the car wants to oversteer, front wheels bite, and you have AWD for cornering. Yea, its not a god-like car by no means stock, but who wants to have a stock vehicle anyways? And on the Japan-parts comment, HKS, GReddy, Apex Integration among others all originated in japan, and are now available in the U.S. Back before the Import surge, you had to get ahold of japanese tuners to get the high-dollar stuff. Now, these parts are conveniently available in the U.S.

Also, it seems like the old 80s camaros in japan are coveted almost as much as the skylines are over here.

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
I think the 4wd system is called ATTESA?

Three diffs, and you can go from a 10/90 front rear split to 50/50 in the push of a button. Its a technologicly amazing car.

I was a fan of them way befor the FnF came out, and I have always liked R33's better.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
yea they are great because of the 4wd system, it is basically a RWD car when you are not slipping at all, it all adjusts as you drive instantly to keep you going the right way

this was(not sure about now) the most advance 4wd system in a production car up untill a couple years ago(might still be)

the bottom end of the rb26dett can take about 900 HP from the factory

a buddy of mine had a rb26det in his 240 and just with tuning and an exhaust setup put 427 to the rear wheels, not too bad on a sock motor IMO

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 25 Posts