Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a lot of people that say they snipe in scenario/woodsball. Do you think that there is such thing as sniping in paintball. What is your definition of sniping?

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
heres the definition of a sniper from dictionary.com
"-A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
-One who shoots at other people from a concealed place. "

although you can easily do that in a game of paintball, you have to consider what a the "sniper's" intention is. Many newbies to paintball have this misinformed idea that paintball is just a friendly war game. However we know that this is NOT true. Although paintball, and the military have some similarities, they are 2 completely different things. So anyway, when someone whos a newb will want to snipe in the same way that snipers in the military do, which is observing, and shooting enemies from a concealed place, at a long distance, and not being spotted. There are several reasons why you cannot do this in paintball. First off, a common saying in any sniper school is "one shot one kill". A sniper cannot be shooting rambo style, but rather can only take one shot to make sure he does not reveal his position. Paintball guns are extremely innacurate compared to sniper rifles. No matter what gun you have, upgrades you put, whatever paint you are using, and whatever scope/laser you slap onto your gun, it will not be capable of taking someone down from a long distance, in on one shot. Secondly, paintball guns are LOUD. Although yes, sniper rifles are loud as well, when you play paintball, you do so on a much smaller field. Id say in woods, the one thing that can easily give you position away is the sound of your gun.
However, there are some aspects of "sniping" in paintball that can be very similar to sniping in the military. You can conceal yourself by the use of camoflauge, or hiding in or under certain things. Another aspect is the fact that you will have to be very patient. And trust me if you want to snipe in paintball on a large field, YOU WILL HAVE TO BE VERY PATIENT. What are the chances the entire team will just walk across the bush you are hiding in?

So in conclusion, in my opinion you CANT snipe in paintball the same way snipers do in the military. However you can "shoot an enemy from a concealed position.

·
Registered
74 Posts
NYY hit the nail on the head, infact I would take what he just wrote up and save it because im sure this is a popular question. What is the longest distance you can accurately shoot in a paintball? That is the range of your "sniper" gun. Which probably is at most like 30 ft more than the rest of the guns. So sniping in paintball isn't realistic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
what a paintball sniper really is and does:

i keep getting that paintball snipers dont exist, one is you cannot see them 'cause they are well concealed, that is if they are playing the role, and yes they do exist. every scenerio i been to I get this "your going to be eliminated so fast" and all i say to them is we shall see who gets eliminated. next thing you know is players are being eliminated one by one by single ( or 2 shots, it happens) and no one knows where they came from, at the end of the game, the very same players who say snipers dont exist or ill be eliminated so fast now ask, "what marker do you use" or "what upgrades do you have on your marker" or they will say "nice ghillie suit" all i tell them is paintball snipers do exist whether you like it or not. and when they ask me what a paintball sniper really is or does i tell them.

people say paintball snipers only camp, what a paintball sniper really does is go well behind his/her opposing team's lines and elimiate players. in order to be successfull, one needs to know the tactics, a few being cammoflage and concealment and most importantly stealth, this may be the reason why peoplle say PB snipers dont exist, cause they dont see them and think all they do is camp, meanwhile the exchange of paint is happening this lone or paired sniper (team) is on the move behind enemy lines, moving from one location to the next eliminating key players, so pb snipers do not camp. And i can tell ya, there are some really good players out there, but there are others that play the role poorly due to the lack of understanding and tactics of this position, nothing wrong with that, like everything, practise makes perfect. but then there are others that camp throughout the scenerio and claim to be paintball snipers.

So there is a difference between a camper and the paintball sniper, a camper is one who stays in the same position throughout the game and waits for the opposing members to come to him/her. a paintball sniper on the other hand, is one who most of the time spends his/her time walking, crawling, crouching well behind enemy lines, eliminating players and key players, often relocating to another position and continuing eliminating players from a concealed position.

also the pb sniper must posess better marksmanship than your average player, we know that markers and paint dont have the accuracy nor the distance that a bullet has, but when it comes to eliminating a key player, lets say the general, you are not gonna spray and pray, as you will be spotted and even eliminated at the drop of the hat, which is why that one shot is crucial, but sometimes you have to shoot more than once, just cause the ball may not break upon impact or you may miss, which is normal, this is why cammoflage and concealment is crucial, as you have to get in real close to opposing team members to eliminate them then relocate without being seen, again due to the markers and paintball's innacuracy farther than their range.

Also another thing i almost forgot to mention is a paintball sniper must pocess patience. you may get off a shot and an elimination after 2 hours into a game, rather than just firing paint down range. if you do not have patience you will not succeed.

So ever wonder where that single shot that hit you on the mask came from and yet you see no one nor any sign of movement within the brushes? well now you know.

I hope this finally clears things up as i am sick and tired to hear that either, pb snipers dont exist, pb snipers camp, or pb snipers are useless, a player who knows the role well will be extremely hard to eliminate that I can gurantee you.

·
12,110 Posts
Heres the truth: You can go behidn enemy lines and try to pick people off, but unless your playing against newbies, your just going to get overrun easily because tehre is no front between you and the other team.

Heres teh fantasy: You have a 21" barrel on your pump marker decked out in full ghillie suit and you hit people from a mile away.

First off, unless your a trained person, your little ghillie suit you bought at the local army navy store is just a $150 pair of utilities with some fake leaves and burlap.

A ghillie suit needs to be constantly adjusted, andI don't just mean before every game. Ghillie suits are used in thickly vegetated areas, places where 3 foot tall grass are there. Not a cleared out paintball field with some wooden bunkers.

SO lets say you managed to find of the very few fields that has an untouched natural field with foliage that provides enough cover to utilize a ghillie suit. Now what? You go onto teh field, and pick out a location.

First off, picking a location is a time consuming thing. You need to scout for a location that has a good vantage point, and a place where nobody can easily sneak up on your 6. You also need a thickly vegetated part of the field.

So your set up, and it probably took you a good 15 minutes to a half hour to find a good location. During those 15 to a half hour of minutes, you were more then likely to have encountered some of the other team. SEriously, how are you going to get behind enemy lines like that? sure holes exist, but getting through them at the right time would take either a) luck, or B)an infrared sattelite.

Now you've got your spot. Time to ad vegetation to your ghillie suit. You need to gather foliage from teh area you'll be sniping from, but you can't just chop down a bunch of tallgrass and take a bunch of leaves form teh ground. That would disturb the area signifigantly.

Take a little bit form here and there, and camouflage yourself up. And another thing that is really retarded... A bush with boots. Cover your shoes.

So you've managed to get yourself into the bush in your ideal location.

A good 45 minutes to set up. Game's over, time to head back to the staging area.

Paintball is too fast for snipers.

IT doesn't have the required time and accuraccy and distance, as well as much of the stealth methods, nor does it include the right kind of vegetation.

Its possible, but its like waitign for all the planets to line up. Too much depends on the field your in...

·
Registered
24 Posts
When someone sees the word sniper they think of the definitions that nyy gave us. I think that snipers may exist, just not in the same scenario as in the military from paintball. There seems to be too many products that consist of sniper play like barrels, stocks and the whole marker. I dont think that snipers are effective because of what nyy said about accuracy, noise, etc. In the end I think that snipers exist, but there not very useful and they dont play they way they hope. i think snipers are very cool, but sad to say they would suck in pb.

·
don't drop the soap
3,895 Posts
Only snipers as in terms of how far and accurate a paintball can be. What I mean by this is a sniper in real life shoots you from like a mile away, where as a paintball sniper is more like 200-300 yards. Sure maybe with the right setup you can pull this off. You'd have to be really concealed well, and have a really accurate and really quiet gun for it to work. You'd be just as good being close range though. I guess in some woods setups seing as how sometimes there's not many bunkers close to each other having someone back you up from far back can be of some assistance.

·
PBF's oldest newb
1,618 Posts
ok this as been hashed and rehashed since ive joined this forum, we're never gonna come to a conclusion. i think the best thing would be if one of the mods dug up one of the old threads on this, one of the really long ones and sticky it, just so that we can have one place to discuss it to infinity, then we dont need a new thread on it every 2 weeks, no offense to anyone who starts these threads, its just that we dont need a new one all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the only time paintball snipers would be employed is during those 6 hours or longer scenerio games. i dont even bother throwing on my handmade ghillie for those 30min games, as it has been mentioned there isnt time for me to do go behind the opposing force lines and cause some chaos. again the ghillie doesnt make you invinsible, if you know how to properly make one and employ it properly, meaning using it in the proper enviroment that it blends into, you will not be seen, again this comes with applying the proper tactics and the scenerio lasting 6hours or longer. and no you are not going to be cutting brushes and or that tall grass, hell i dont even bother doing that, cause my ghillie is made to the enviroment in which i play in. a ghillie properly done is 40% fake, and 60% vegetation, again this all comes with the knowledge, and experience.

When i first started playing outdoors, i was new with the type of style for paintball sniping, like eveyone it took me a several games and some time to grasp the skills thats required to play this role in paintball. but with my military background, i figured things out quickly and fluently.

well anyhoo, so theres about 8 guys looking for this one paintball sniper (me), after i eliminated their general (though he was out of the game for and hour, then allowed back in) and some other key players for that particular scenerio, note, that i did not stay in the same location, after each elimination i would relocate according to my cover and whatnot, they finally realized that they had a sniper in their territory, so they sent a section, 8 pers, well they had one guy walking ahead of the remainder about 10feet, i caught this quickly and didnt take my shot cause i knew right there and then that the remainder would be able to locate me cause they where fairly close to my position, so i let them pass right by me, i knew where they where heading off to, so after they were out of sight and out of mind, i radioed to my number 2 guy and mentioned to him, so they basically got ambushed by my team.

Like i have mentioned a good paintball sniper is almost impossible to eliminate if he or she doesnt mess up, which happens, and completely normal. but what people dont understand is that paintball sniping is a style of play, and when done right is very effective during those long scenerio games. So paintball sniping is indeed different from that of a real life sniper, and we all know it and im not going to post what we already know, but what people cant get through thier thick skulls sometimes is in paintball its all about camm, concealment and stealth, and of course good marksmanship with the marker. Stealth, concealment, camm and good marksmanship is a must in order to get in close to your opponent, as we know in order to get a hit with paintball markers, you have to get in real close, sometimes, without his knowledge of you being there, eliminating key players and other players you may come across and then getting out again without being seen, thay may know you are in thier territorry, but if you know the skills and when and how to apply them, you wil get out and onto your side and your team has just gained valuable points. Its a style of play that if used properly can be very effective in demorilizing the opposing team. and i can tell from experience, it demorilizes the team when they have no clue where the shots are comming from.

my point here is paintball sniping is a style of play, and yes they can be very effective, and i know from experience. which is why everytime i play the opposing team sends a section after me, but i myself may not eliminate that section, but i just eliminated key players during a crucial part of the scenerio, so the members dont have that leader to lead them through key parts of the game. that alone is enough to slow them down and allow that time for my team to advance. Again this all depends on the scenerio, and the field you are playing, sometimes you have to change your tactics, some tactics do not succeed in some fields, due to terrain and or the scenerio doesnt dictate. this is why one must recce the field and know about the scenerio then make plans from there.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
Alpha said:
300 yards away.. it will take about 3.21 seconds from the time the paintball marker cycles to the point where the paintball hits me.. By that time I will have ducked.
lmfao 200-300 yards is just a joke

please talk from experience not your paintball dreams

·
12,110 Posts
NYY said:
lmfao 200-300 yards is just a joke

please talk from experience not your paintball dreams
You talking to me? YEs, I have dodged paintballs. I do it all the time. All you need to do is move your body a few feet, unless your in the middle of the open- a big nono unless you have no other choice.

YEa, theres no way a paintball can go 200-300 yards unless your shooting at a crazy angle (I can remember shooting over a lake once... They did go pretty damn far). 300 yards is 900 feet. EVen the godly flatline isn't hyped to go that far.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
no i was talking about the other comment that sniping in paintball is at 200-300yds

incase you dont know thats 2-3 football fields. To shoot someone 300 yards away would require you to turn up your velocity, and really get a high angle on your gun. But you sure as hell wont have any accuracy

·
Almost leet
1,999 Posts
There are snipers in paintball I hide myself in a try and pickem off as they come by one time I took out a whole Squad.

But seriously theere is no sniping. Just ppl camaflouged and get lucky cause no1 sees them.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
No sniping. None at all. Never has been. Never will be until somebody makes a paintball gun that shoots over 1000 yards. Now then is when I'll believe you. Other than that, no way at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.