Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Which Marker, Bests suites what I am looking for(Read Post First)

• 98 Custom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A-5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Project Salvo Alpha Black

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
EXXO
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at a few different tippmanns to pick up.
But before I ask the most redundant question I could possibly ask lets state why and what I am looking for. I am looking for a good durable marker my my first marker. I am planning on playing Woodsball, Scenario and Big-Game. I am wanting fun and massive customization options So my first look for obvious reason is the 98c, then I started looking at the A-5 but because i love the look and feel of the AR assault rifles I went a checked out the Tippmann Project Salvo Alpha Black marker and I love it. So Some of the additions I am looking to do over the course of a year are first wanting an authentic looking marker, I would like to add a few attachments like a reflex or red dot sight, green laser and a fore-grip and collapsable stock, s right there kind of explains why I was leaning towards the Salvo. But other mods I was looking at is the Cyclone feeder system, electronic frame, fang, our double trigger system and I have been very interested in the Apex2 barrel I like the ability to fine tune everything from trigger response, fire rate and adjusting trajectory so custom trigger set up with the electronic frame and Apex2 barrel seam very good mix for me but I am brand new for the sport and though I have done plenty of research it will never give me the knowledge of experienced players until I start field testing my own equipment. So what I am hoping to get out of this thread is just some personal opinions and person experience any and all input would be appreciated.

Thank you, for all and any help I get with this,
Exxo

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
A tippman is a tippman is a tippman. they're all the same on the inside. You're paying extra fro all the plastic parts that are bolted onto them.

..unless you're talking about the Phenom X7. and ONLY the X7 model. Even that is a bit over priced for what it is on the inside (an automag)

sites/scopes/lazers, they're all pretty worthless, unless you're going for style points.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
I have been looking at a few different tippmanns to pick up.
But before I ask the most redundant question I could possibly ask lets state why and what I am looking for. I am looking for a good durable marker my my first marker. I am planning on playing Woodsball, Scenario and Big-Game. I am wanting fun and massive customization options So my first look for obvious reason is the 98c, then I started looking at the A-5 but because i love the look and feel of the AR assault rifles I went a checked out the Tippmann Project Salvo Alpha Black marker and I love it. So Some of the additions I am looking to do over the course of a year are first wanting an authentic looking marker, I would like to add a few attachments like a reflex or red dot sight, green laser and a fore-grip and collapsable stock, s right there kind of explains why I was leaning towards the Salvo. But other mods I was looking at is the Cyclone feeder system, electronic frame, fang, our double trigger system and I have been very interested in the Apex2 barrel I like the ability to fine tune everything from trigger response, fire rate and adjusting trajectory so custom trigger set up with the electronic frame and Apex2 barrel seam very good mix for me but I am brand new for the sport and though I have done plenty of research it will never give me the knowledge of experienced players until I start field testing my own equipment. So what I am hoping to get out of this thread is just some personal opinions and person experience any and all input would be appreciated.

Thank you, for all and any help I get with this,
Exxo
1) none of this is "authentic" heck ask a vet like miller here about his thoughts on military authenticity and paintball. You are playing paintball, the reason military weapons look the way they do is because that is the most efficient way to do what they do, so if you want "authentic" then likewise finding something that is good at paintball is a much better option, I think it was miller that once said something like "if the military weapons could be made to be 2lbs, have fantastic rates of fire and be as cheap as paintball markers are, the military would switch overnight without even hesitating"

so yes, you can make them look like something the military would walk around with but in doing so are also completely disregarding the reason WHY they look that way

2) The sheer amount of money you will spend getting everything on that list is monumental and you could easily purchase 2 if not 3 complete setups by the time you are done with it. Here is what I see, on that list you have a 98, a $120 marker on its own, Im going to compare it to the spyder fenix ($150), which a lot of us on here like for reasons below

A) you want to put an e-frame on the 98, another $100 in aftermarket price, the fenix comes with one stock
B) you want to put a cyclone on the 98, clearly feed rates and not chopping paint is important to you, fenix comes with eyes stock so even if you have a crappy hopper on it, it will not chop and for the money you spend on the cyclone you can get a nice hopper for a fenix. the 98 can never have eyes even with an e-frame
C) you say you want to adjust the trigger responce but this is not possible on the tippmann e-frame, you can do it stock on the fenix

you have roughly a $500 marker in your list and the vast majority of it can be accomplished with a $150 spyder fenix. If you read my new player guide as you said you went though the stickies, you have clearly ignored the part where I highly HIGHLY suggested new players stay away from exactly this for their first marker. I have seen so many players go down this road and get so frustrated within 6 months that they give up on the sport.

You can still play scenarios with any marker, a dressed up marker doesnt change the game, only makes playing it more difficult

almost forgot, lasers of any kind are not allowed on fields and for the most part red dots and any sights are not designed to be used while wearing a mask so they are often very difficult to use and couple that with paintballs being very inaccurate and they become useless added weight, just thought you should know before diving into them

·
EXXO
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1) none of this is "authentic" heck ask a vet like miller here about his thoughts on military authenticity and paintball. You are playing paintball, the reason military weapons look the way they do is because that is the most efficient way to do what they do, so if you want "authentic" then likewise finding something that is good at paintball is a much better option, I think it was miller that once said something like "if the military weapons could be made to be 2lbs, have fantastic rates of fire and be as cheap as paintball markers are, the military would switch overnight without even hesitating"

so yes, you can make them look like something the military would walk around with but in doing so are also completely disregarding the reason WHY they look that way

2) The sheer amount of money you will spend getting everything on that list is monumental and you could easily purchase 2 if not 3 complete setups by the time you are done with it. Here is what I see, on that list you have a 98, a $120 marker on its own, Im going to compare it to the spyder fenix ($150), which a lot of us on here like for reasons below

A) you want to put an e-frame on the 98, another $100 in aftermarket price, the fenix comes with one stock
B) you want to put a cyclone on the 98, clearly feed rates and not chopping paint is important to you, fenix comes with eyes stock so even if you have a crappy hopper on it, it will not chop and for the money you spend on the cyclone you can get a nice hopper for a fenix. the 98 can never have eyes even with an e-frame
C) you say you want to adjust the trigger responce but this is not possible on the tippmann e-frame, you can do it stock on the fenix

you have roughly a $500 marker in your list and the vast majority of it can be accomplished with a $150 spyder fenix. If you read my new player guide as you said you went though the stickies, you have clearly ignored the part where I highly HIGHLY suggested new players stay away from exactly this for their first marker. I have seen so many players go down this road and get so frustrated within 6 months that they give up on the sport.

You can still play scenarios with any marker, a dressed up marker doesnt change the game, only makes playing it more difficult

almost forgot, lasers of any kind are not allowed on fields and for the most part red dots and any sights are not designed to be used while wearing a mask so they are often very difficult to use and couple that with paintballs being very inaccurate and they become useless added weight, just thought you should know before diving into them
This is what I was trying to get out of this thread,some objective feed back, now the only reason I like the Milspec is I have shot m's ar15's sks's for years so the form of it feels comfortable to me having the stock, rails or fore grip feels very comfortable and natural while I'm holding it. But I did look at the spyder as well and my local shop hasa used Fenix with a stock available for 100 so I may look into that. But yes I read the stickies and when I said authentic I meant Milspec, but I am new and all the research in the quirks went give me the knowledge in the world that comes from experienced field time that a lot of you have had I will have in the coming years. So thank you and I'm going to go look more into the Fenix if there is any other markers I should look at let me know I'm in the market at 150-250 range one other thing my local pro shop suggested the flex mask I was looking at the slyfit and the i4 masks but because I'm a bigger guy they suggested the eflex. Any opinions on that would be helpful.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
I'm a small guy and I think that the profits and the i4 masks are too tiny. I own an eflex and I love it. The key to masks is to try them on if you can, because everyone likes something different.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
I love my i4s BUT, they are small i will give you that, more of my neck is exposed than other masks. Also own a pair of e-vents much better neck protection on those go to a shop, try stuff on

Let me just clarify something on your milsim ideas, I am not saying give up on the idea of a milsim marker, just dont do it for your FIRST marker. Just concentrate on getting into the sport. After you have accomplished that and have a solid set of gear, then work on something like a milsim marker.

o, and before I forget, if you like AR15s the closest there is in paintball is the T68 from rap4

the 2 major problems with it though are that it is mag fed, which sounds all nice and authentic but in reality it means that you are typically getting into firefights with around 15 rounds while the person you are shooting at has at least 150 before each of you needs to reload, mags are expensive as well and #2, its made my rap4 whos nickname is "Crap 4" for a reason

·
EXXO
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That I do understand, and is where I was looking at the A-5's as a starter marker, its not too pricy, and I can do alot of addons to give me my Milspec stuff. But I have been doing some research on the Feix since you pointed that one out to me. the only add-on I feel I should have from the beginning is a stock for me, and thats just because I have shot m4's and ar15's for so long it just give me a second nature a fore grip would also be helpful, the other attachment I was looking at was either the cyclone feeder or a automatic agitating feeder. Beyond those I just want a good marker that I will have plenty of upgrade options. I do not plan on this being my only marker over the next 12 month but I would like my first to be easy to maintain and simple to upgrade. I know they offer plenty of body mods for both the A-5 and 98c for my mil spec stuff which is what i was going to do was start off with the basic marker and modify over time. The only high end things i want from the beginning is my goggle/mask and a good feeder. But I am opening my view and not just continuing to have tunnel vision with Tippmann Markers I am looking for at the Spyders. Are there any good lower priced JT or Empire markers I could look at, that could give me the options I am looking for?

·
EXXO
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also on the topic of the goggles/mask I was looking at where the vforce Grillz and the Empire E-Flex ones I am still researching and I plan on going to the pro-shop by my house and try them on but trying on will help me with fit and form for me aswell as comfortability and vision but I question that I have on here is the amount of fogging system that it has because it is a major concern I have is how fast these goggles will fog.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
A high quality mask shouldn't have problems fogging. I've worn mine in all sorts of miserable conditions and I've never had fogging issues. If you wear glasses, though you may have issues with them fogging up.

·
EXXO
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope no glasses so I think ill be going with the e-flex system, still deciding on the marker though but the fenix is looking like a good starting point, is the fenix have wide variety of barrels and what what do you think of the Apex 2 barrels they seem very interesting to me.

·
EXXO
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope no glasses so I think ill be going with the e-flex system, still deciding on the marker though but the fenix is looking like a good starting point, is the fenix have wide variety of barrels and what what do you think of the Apex 2 barrels they seem very interesting to me.

·
EXXO
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, for the double post, I am just trying to get some input i have a lot of interest and just trying to get a feel for whats out there and what i am going

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
That I do understand, and is where I was looking at the A-5's as a starter marker, its not too pricy, and I can do alot of addons to give me my Milspec stuff. But I have been doing some research on the Feix since you pointed that one out to me. the only add-on I feel I should have from the beginning is a stock for me, and thats just because I have shot m4's and ar15's for so long it just give me a second nature a fore grip would also be helpful, the other attachment I was looking at was either the cyclone feeder or a automatic agitating feeder. Beyond those I just want a good marker that I will have plenty of upgrade options. I do not plan on this being my only marker over the next 12 month but I would like my first to be easy to maintain and simple to upgrade. I know they offer plenty of body mods for both the A-5 and 98c for my mil spec stuff which is what i was going to do was start off with the basic marker and modify over time. The only high end things i want from the beginning is my goggle/mask and a good feeder. But I am opening my view and not just continuing to have tunnel vision with Tippmann Markers I am looking for at the Spyders. Are there any good lower priced JT or Empire markers I could look at, that could give me the options I am looking for?
you really shouldnt worry about upgrades to an entry level marker, at most something like a decent barrel and an on/off asa to make life easier should idealy be all you should spend money on as far as the marker itself is concerned. the problem with "upgrades" is they typically do very little for the performance while draining your wallet and when it is all said and done its very easy to spend $300 in "upgrades" when that same $300 can also be used to buy a mid range marker that on its own will preform much better than this upgraded entry level marker.

The tank functions as a stock in paintball, put it up to your shoulder and you are good to go, if you are using a CO2 tank you can purchase butt plates for the tank as well. HPA tanks are pretty comfortable on their own. on the fenix you use the regulator as your foregrip, same with a lot of the industry

I would not recommend any JT or empire markers to start with, both brands make some rather terrible entry level stuff

fenix will accept any spyder threaded barrel out there (there are TONS)

Apex barrels are a lot like a carnival side show, interesting and entertaining but not always the best at getting work done. The problem is you have to dial them in to get them to curve just right WHILE in the middle of a firefight, lets say you are trying to get it to curve around a tree to hit me, meanwhile I am shooting at you and once you start getting close, I move to a different tree or location that is further or closer to you and now you have to start all over. Also, Lets say you are dialing it in to hit me and then martix surprises you and starts shooting at you from over there ----> You have a clear shot of him and turn to shoot him but all your paintballs curve left because you were dialing it in to try and get me

The backspin will not give you any additional usable range like they will try and tell you, it only changes the trajectory of the paint. I along with a lot of people on here feel that the best feature of the apex barrels is that it can be turned off.

for barrels, a $35 J&J ceramic is one of the best purchases you can make, they are fantastic barrels. I own 2 barrel kits, a DW fibur which is a $160 amazing kit and also a $90 J&J kit which is essentially 3 barrels but if I had to choose one single barrel to run on everything it would no question be a $35 J&J 1 piece barrel, Many of us on here own a J&J barrel in one respect or another, they are probably one of the most under-rated products in all of paintball

·
EXXO
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you really shouldnt worry about upgrades to an entry level marker, at most something like a decent barrel and an on/off asa to make life easier should idealy be all you should spend money on as far as the marker itself is concerned. the problem with "upgrades" is they typically do very little for the performance while draining your wallet and when it is all said and done its very easy to spend $300 in "upgrades" when that same $300 can also be used to buy a mid range marker that on its own will preform much better than this upgraded entry level marker.

The tank functions as a stock in paintball, put it up to your shoulder and you are good to go, if you are using a CO2 tank you can purchase butt plates for the tank as well. HPA tanks are pretty comfortable on their own. on the fenix you use the regulator as your foregrip, same with a lot of the industry

I would not recommend any JT or empire markers to start with, both brands make some rather terrible entry level stuff

fenix will accept any spyder threaded barrel out there (there are TONS)

Apex barrels are a lot like a carnival side show, interesting and entertaining but not always the best at getting work done. The problem is you have to dial them in to get them to curve just right WHILE in the middle of a firefight, lets say you are trying to get it to curve around a tree to hit me, meanwhile I am shooting at you and once you start getting close, I move to a different tree or location that is further or closer to you and now you have to start all over. Also, Lets say you are dialing it in to hit me and then martix surprises you and starts shooting at you from over there ----> You have a clear shot of him and turn to shoot him but all your paintballs curve left because you were dialing it in to try and get me

The backspin will not give you any additional usable range like they will try and tell you, it only changes the trajectory of the paint. I along with a lot of people on here feel that the best feature of the apex barrels is that it can be turned off.

for barrels, a $35 J&J ceramic is one of the best purchases you can make, they are fantastic barrels. I own 2 barrel kits, a DW fibur which is a $160 amazing kit and also a $90 J&J kit which is essentially 3 barrels but if I had to choose one single barrel to run on everything it would no question be a $35 J&J 1 piece barrel, Many of us on here own a J&J barrel in one respect or another, they are probably one of the most under-rated products in all of paintball

So I am definitely going to be looking at the Fenix is there a huge between the Fenix and the Electra? And I will be looking at the J&J ceramics.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
Fenix has newer programming on the board (LEAP II vs. LEAP). Basically, the new Fenix is simply an updated version of the Electra missing an on/off, but either gets the job done great. I'd probably go with the Electra since it's only $10 more expensive and has an on/off stock. I only use 1 mode (semi), so the improved modes of LEAP II vs. LEAP really doesn't mean much to me.

There might also be a different valve. Not sure if the Electra has the EKO valve or not...

·
EXXO
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fenix has newer programming on the board (LEAP II vs. LEAP). Basically, the new Fenix is simply an updated version of the Electra missing an on/off, but either gets the job done great. I'd probably go with the Electra since it's only $10 more expensive and has an on/off stock. I only use 1 mode (semi), so the improved modes of LEAP II vs. LEAP really doesn't mean much to me.

There might also be a different valve. Not sure if the Electra has the EKO valve or not...
Miller thanks I think I'm going to go with the fenix and save up for the dye rotator feeder and a air tank over the co2

1 - 20 of 32 Posts