Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and it deals with elementary school kids learning sport fencing, namely epee.
I like kids, don't get me wrong, but I feel that even within the short time that I've been on this planet myself, times and views of certain things are changing.

First day of the class, we safety brief and size the kids for equipment, no big deal. Kids were pretty good, mostly paid attention.

Second day, first class of actual fencing! Half the class goes with me for physical excersise in the form of games and footwork drills. We have a very strict rule about not crossing the center dividing life of the gym due to the fact that the other class is atually fencing, and that fencing masks don't give great peripheral vision.
Now, I'm not the most serious person, and can be a bit on the sarcastic side, but I do stress that saefty is huge. When we cross the line, I attempt to make a joke and say something to the affect of "and remember! Don't cross this line or else I will KARATE CHOP YOU TO THE THROAT!!!" With exaggerated gestures while making faces. All the kids dead-pan, and one quickly says "if you do that, I'll call the police and sue you."

I guess my asian joke didn't really sink in too well, and I could hardly believe that the kid even said that! Granted, the joke may have been in bad taste, but for the kid to threaten to sue me was flabbergasting.

Also, after we start getting into games and drills, one of the more problematic kids asks me what time it is. I always wear a watch, but I told him that he needed to continue with the game and that we would take a water break soon. The kid proceeds to grab my arm to try and look at my watch. Perhaps it was just my upbringing that taught me to respect people in charge, but I was again shocked that the kid was pissed enough at me that he had to become physical. Of course at that age I would have gotten mad as well, but I feel as though I would not have handled the situation in the same manner as the kid did with me.

Well, venting is done.

TL;DR
What the hell are parents teaching their kids now?

·
Registered
357 Posts
We are a lot more self entitled then our parents were so its natural that kids younger than us will be more so than us.

Also parents tend to give their kids what they want rather than to be the "mean" parent because they dont want to upset their little angel. So they think if they can get away with it with their parents they can get away with it with anyone. Working at a Boy/Cubscout camp for 4 summers made me realize that at a younger age.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember all the times that I've back talked to my parents, and was promptly put in my place.

I guess some parents don't do that anymore
:(

·
Registered
361 Posts
There are far too many parents who do not properly discipline their children these days. Whether they are scared of DCFS or just falling for the new age hippie crap of giving a child their space and letting them be their own individual. Kids today have been allowed to have an overinflated sense of self and entitlement.

·
Administrator
14,011 Posts
here is all i took from this....

I like kids,

iv always found push ups are a great motivator for kids not crossing a line, and in specific group punishment, you say if one kid crosses the line, everyone stops what they are doing and does 5 push ups, nobody gets to continue until everyone does 5, if a second kid crosses the line the same day, everyone stops and does 10 push ups, so on and so forth. just keep pushing that they are a team and all in this together thats why they all get to do push ups. what happens is one kid every once in a while will not want to do them and say no, thats when it really gets fun for you because you have to do nothing, peer pressure takes over and everyone else in the room starts nagging on that one kid to do his push ups so everyone else can continue

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The engine cranks and turns over like it's starting, but after that, it won't stay in idle, it just stalls out
:(

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
I remember all the times that I've back talked to my parents, and was promptly put in my place.
Haha never happened to me. But I was rebellious and my parents had no control. Excelling in the real world now though so my parents didn't screw up toooo bad. Sucks about your car. And props for working with kids. I could never do that crap.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after going through and thinking about how the car failed, I think that the fuel pump might be bad
Electrical is all good, and mechanical is good until it wants to idle

I remember a time when I lied to my dad in high school about how my grades were, once the report card came back with an F, he proceeded to throw me into a door frame
I knew I deserved it, I never lied about my grades again
:ninja:

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The thing was, they constantly told me that if I needed help they would hire tutors and all that jazz, so me not performing was directly related to my lack of effort
So when I met the door frame, I knew that they had given me every opportunity to be in a different situation, and I just didn't take it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts