Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short, i ran into a car that ran into a car that stopped to turn.

the first car was able to drive away, the middle car started once, then didn't start again. it's back bumper was in need of replacment.
my car ...I'll try to get pics. Words don't do it justice.

The hood squished into the windshield, the front bumpers was decimated, and about every plastic piece under the hood was misplaced.

I didn't even see it coming it I couldn't do anything about it. Good news is that nobody was hurt. a few bumps and sore backs, but nothing serious. Bad news is that I don't have a vehicle so I cna't work or go to class. My parents said they'd loan me the van for a while, but I'm starting to look at cars starting tomorrow morning. Wonder what I can get for $3,000 that gets good gas mileage? I can't wait for insurance money to come because I need a car NOW.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
damn, glad ur ok. Host b4 u post bro tho.
no camera:( I'll try to find a friend who will let me borrow theirs when I go to claim what is mine from it at the lot.
My phone has a camera, but it's crappy and can't transfer them anywhere but to other phones for 25 cents.

right now i'm trying to decide if I should get a old,cheap car with the money i have, or get a car that is semi-nice like the one i just wrecked and use the insurance money to pay the rest of it off. (I got my 04 for $5500..so i may end up getting close to that back because it was suck a good deal)

anybody know if insurance will allow me to take out the aftermarket speakers, headunit, and amp that are int he car? If not I'm gonna be pissed. those were brand new $70 pioneer speakers and a $100 amp. It's Sunday so they're not around to ask.

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
anybody know if insurance will allow me to take out the aftermarket speakers, headunit, and amp that are int he car? If not I'm gonna be pissed. those were brand new $70 pioneer speakers and a $100 amp. It's Sunday so they're not around to ask.
should be able to... any aftermarket utilities aren't even insured under 99% of all coverage plans.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
should be able to... any aftermarket utilities aren't even insured under 99% of all coverage plans.
well that's good news.

I found some older, high mialige cars for under $2,000. I'm too exausted to be thinking about it right now. I've been asleep the last 2 hours. apparently getting in a wreck wears you out.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
what kind of car do you have? and what kind of cars were the others?

good to hear you're okay, my mom essentially did the same thing about a month ago.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what kind of car do you have? and what kind of cars were the others?

good to hear you're okay, my mom essentially did the same thing about a month ago.
I had an 04 cavy, GREAT on gas, AND a manual!...just bought it fro $5,500 this summer:(
I think the car i hit was a newish neon. (all i remember was that it was bright yellow and I was going to hit it)
and the car turning was an old Honda.(this car actually was able to drive away, the trunk was sorta mess up and a seat broke in half, but it got the least damage somehow)

I'm curious, did you mom get pinned with it being her fault?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
I had an 04 cavy, GREAT on gas, AND a manual!...just bought it fro $5,500 this summer:(
I think the car i hit was a newish neon. (all i remember was that it was bright yellow and I was going to hit it)
and the car turning was an old Honda.(this car actually was able to drive away, the trunk was sorta mess up and a seat broke in half, but it got the least damage somehow)

I'm curious, did you mom get pinned with it being her fault?
yeah because it was backwards from yours. She ran into someone who was stopped who hit the person in front of them because of it lol, not exactly the same but same premise.

yeah I've got a 92 cavalier, which is also great on gas still, even after 15 years. I've been having problems with it recently, but its basic crap that will be expected with an old car like fuses and alternator, hoses, etc. On a good day with my car on a fresh tune up/oil change it gets around 32-33mpg highway, which is sweet for an older car.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well that's good news for me. I've decided to get a car i dont' care about because i've noticed all the peopel who have been working a while as drivers have fairly beat up cars. They're all scratched up,and have dents and dings everywhere.

good news for me because that means I'll be spending less money:)
and maybe I can finally get a bike:)

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
I love my car, but it's a beater. As long as there are no huge dents or body damage that requires maintenance to my car, I really don't care. I'll scratch it and punch it and crap, no worries. It's awesome having a car that you don't have to constantly worry about someone bumping into with their door, or messing up the paint.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there's something about owning a nice car that really appeals to me. But I do drive for a living. that increases me chance of accidents and random bumps and dents by quite a bit...so the beater is really the way to go I feel. Plus it'll give me a few thousand dollars as backup cash. I think I'll use it and invest in some stocks or something.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
Usually when you rear end somebody, you end up being stuck with it being your fault.

About the new (or not so new) car, I'd just pick up a running car that looks DECENT and just stick it out until you're done with school. After this car I'm just picking up a cheap civic, then when I don't have to park in a university parking lot daily anymore, I'll buy a nice new car that's all shiny and that jazz.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
yeah I'm thinking about buying a 98 saturn sl2 with 89k miles for $3000. There's two of them I need to look at. I miss my first car:)

Insurance said I CAn pull out the radio,speakers, gas, etc.. but since i don't have the stock radio, they'll have to claim it first.

edit:
do all 1990 honda accords have airbags? and would one with 165k miles be worth getting for $2000? it says BOB, so do you think I could talk the guy down?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
yeah I'm thinking about buying a 98 saturn sl2 with 89k miles for $3000. There's two of them I need to look at. I miss my first car:)

Insurance said I CAn pull out the radio,speakers, gas, etc.. but since i don't have the stock radio, they'll have to claim it first.

edit:
do all 1990 honda accords have airbags? and would one with 165k miles be worth getting for $2000? it says BOB, so do you think I could talk the guy down?
lol do you mean OBO? :rolleyes:

if so, then yeah you could talk him down

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my insurance agent had to cancel our meeting today and the lot won't let me get to my car till the insurance person gets there.
do not worry though, unless my camera batteries die there will be pics:)

turns out the accord does not have airbags. so I'm not buying it.
I have to look at a saturn today, and i'm gonna try to look as another accord in my area. I also found a lot near chi-town that sells cars for cheap, but you cant' test drive them...so I dont' think i'll be doing that.
I think I'm gonna go with a saturn, or a civic. They're both real cheap cars that shoudl last forever, yet I could care less about them.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
If this was PBN everyone would be telling you to get a Fox Body mustang, an e36 M3, or a WRX.:rolleyes:

Really though, just find something cheap that you like (that's somewhat safe with low miles). After you're done with school and you've got a steady job then look for something you like. Cars are changing so rapidly that it's crazy. By 2010 or so there will be some awesome cars available that wont break the bank.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts