Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be getting a motorcycle, right around spring maybe a little before. Have some questions:
Whats insurance like for a 19 y/o? My buddys 21 and his is 50 something.
What make? Honda is looking real good to me.
Whos done financing, what can I expect?

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Motorcycle insurance is cheap (since bikes themselves are pretty cheap and generally you can't do too much damage to other vehicles on the road).

With that said, it's very dangerous. Not to be "motherly," but it's true. Out in Ohio it's probably not bad, but everyone I know around here (NJ/NY) who rode a bike either stopped because of how dangerous, or is dead/perminanty disfigured. Fact is, cars and trucks don't see you, and often they don't care. The gas mileage is good though.:)

Anyway, what kind of bike are you looking for? Sport bike, cruiser, ect? I wouldn't go much over a 600cc bike if you aren't an experienced rider. Even something like a Suzuki GS500F is going to be faster than most cars. Hell, modern 600 sport bikes runs 12's in the 1/4.

As far as finacing goes, you might need to have a parent co-sign with you. Most places wont let you finance on your own at 19, unless you have solid credit.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Defiantly a sport bike. Im thinking a 600 would be fine, I mod everything anyway.
I can get a co-signer, my mom used to swear up and down NO BIKE but I mentioned it and shes fine with it.
My buddys financing is like $120 a month, but thats with a $4000 trade in, im curious what ill have in the way of financing with 0 down or even $500-$1000 down.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
My buddys financing is like $120 a month, but thats with a $4000 trade in, im curious what ill have in the way of financing with 0 down or even $500-$1000 down.
Best way to find out is go to different dealers and talk numbers with them. Some places might offer 0% financing, others will want over 10%. That can really play with your numbers. It's always best to put something down if you can. When I bought my truck I put $10,000 down on a $30,000 truck. It's costing me about $400 a month. If I didn't put $10,000 down I'd be paying closer to $700 a month. Big difference.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Just be careful man. My friend just wrecked the 03 CBR I was going to buy. SUV pulled out in front of him and he hit it head on. Luckily he was wearing full gear. Only had a collapsed lung and compressed vertabrae.

I'm probably going to pick the bike up for like $1200-$1500. Frame is still straight all forks are good just needs new fairings in the front and side and some other ****.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best way to find out is go to different dealers and talk numbers with them. Some places might offer 0% financing, others will want over 10%. That can really play with your numbers. It's always best to put something down if you can. When I bought my truck I put $10,000 down on a $30,000 truck. It's costing me about $400 a month. If I didn't put $10,000 down I'd be paying closer to $700 a month. Big difference.
Yeah, im going to be checking out different dealers and see what they can do for me. Guess the price wouldnt change too mugh if i bought before spring in kinda off season?
Just be careful man. My friend just wrecked the 03 CBR I was going to buy. SUV pulled out in front of him and he hit it head on. Luckily he was wearing full gear. Only had a collapsed lung and compressed vertabrae.

I'm probably going to pick the bike up for like $1200-$1500. Frame is still straight all forks are good just needs new fairings in the front and side and some other ****.
Damn dude, things like that are terrible. luckily i was taught to be a VERY defensive driver, even with my truck I say away from others whether i have to speed up for slow down.
One thing that worries my is highway driving. Not bc of traffic, but because ive never driven on the highway on a bike.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Honda Card - $39 PER MONTH AT 11.9% FOR 24 MONTHS - All models$39 monthly payment and 11.9% Fixed APR are for 24 months for purchases $0.01 to $3,000, $59/mo. for purchases $3,001 - $5,000, $89/mo. for purchases $5,001 - $8,000, $129/mo. for purchases $8,001 - $12,000, $159/mo. for purchases $12,001 - $15,000, $189/mo. for purchases $15,001 - $18,000, $219/mo. for purchases $18,001 - $21,000 or $249/mo. for purchases $21,001 - $24,000. After 24 months, minimum fixed monthly payments of 2.5% of the original high balance at a fixed rate of 18.9% APR

Theres the honda financing stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Yeah, im going to be checking out different dealers and see what they can do for me. Guess the price wouldnt change too mugh if i bought before spring in kinda off season?

Damn dude, things like that are terrible. luckily i was taught to be a VERY defensive driver, even with my truck I say away from others whether i have to speed up for slow down.
One thing that worries my is highway driving. Not bc of traffic, but because ive never driven on the highway on a bike.
None of that means a damn thing when you're on a bike. A week prior to this, a kid laid down his 954R, went into the oncoming lane and died.

Senior in high school. Been riding for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
None of that means a damn thing when you're on a bike. A week prior to this, a kid laid down his 954R, went into the oncoming lane and died.

Senior in high school. Been riding for 3 weeks.
i know, you can be the best rider possible and still get hurt or killed, from your own stupidity/unawareness or others.
Hell, know what my mom asked me when I mentioned it? "If you were to die tomorrow, would you be happy with your life so far".

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
went to state 8 today for a couple hours, sat on a ton of bikes, and think i found the one i want. its a 2005 Suzuki GS500F with 2627 miles. Its $4,299.00 out the door, after taxes and all that itll be closer to 5. Its the cleanest looking used bike they have. Depending on my cosigners credit, with $0 down, payments will be from $120-150.

·
Registered
8 Posts
pretty sweet bike. i dont know if youve checked them out or not but a yamaha r6 is a very nice bike. and again, dont know if you have already decided on your payments but i would try to do a down payment, it will help. even something like 500-1000 will help for a bike. payments on the bike and insurance should be around $200/mnth. its honestly not bad.

good luck, and have fun

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i do plan i putting a down payment, must have worded it wrong, sorry bout that. Yeah probably a $500 down payment.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
pretty sweet bike. i dont know if youve checked them out or not but a yamaha r6 is a very nice bike. and again, dont know if you have already decided on your payments but i would try to do a down payment, it will help. even something like 500-1000 will help for a bike. payments on the bike and insurance should be around $200/mnth. its honestly not bad.

good luck, and have fun
Are you kidding me? A race replica for a first bike?

·
Registered
8 Posts
yea good point, i didnt know if he had any experience on at least a dirt bike or something.

xtremeAaron, if you have little to none prior experience, i take back my recomendation for a r6. very nice bike but very powerful, even for a 600cc.

and i wouldnt recomend getting a super stylish bike or anything, because odds are that you will scratch it up. you dont always have to be at high speeds to put a bike down. not long ago my buddy, learning to ride on a bike too big for him, was turning out of the driveway at less than 5mph @ dropped it.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Regardless of whether he has experience on a dirt bike or not, an R6 is not a good choice.

I haven't rode a dirtbike or a streetbike, but I would only imagine that they are two totally different things.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
They are to an extent. Sure handling and all that is way different but working the clutch and all that is pretty straight forward.

I got the okay from my mom, shes going to be my co-signer, man i cant wait to get this bike, we still have some good days of riding left!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts