Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips? First real job for me. I've done a lot of ***** work for companies under the table and stuff, but I don't know what to say.

Any ideas? It's at Circuit City.

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
Dress nice.. dockers and a polo are good. Smell nice without being overpowering -- don't bathe in AXE. Make sure your breath smells good. When you shake hands, make it firm without being overbearing -- shows strength but is not a challenge. Look the pople in the eye and make strong positive statements -- "I have a great deal of expereince and I think that I would make a valuable member of your team." Avoid the ahhh... ummmm.. errr.. like ya know.. sound like your intelligent.

dont **** up.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MedicDVG said:
Dress nice.. dockers and a polo are good. Smell nice without being overpowering -- don't bathe in AXE. Make sure your breath smells good. When you shake hands, make it firm without being overbearing -- shows strength but is not a challenge. Look the pople in the eye and make strong positive statements -- "I have a great deal of expereince and I think that I would make a valuable member of your team." Avoid the ahhh... ummmm.. errr.. like ya know.. sound like your intelligent.

dont **** up.
Good advice, thanks.

Especially the last part :p

·
12,110 Posts
In my AFJROTC leadership course we're doing a bit on jobs and interviews adn such. Like medic said, try to avoid uhh, and words like that. Its friggin hard to do. VERY hard.

Watch your body language. Crossing your arms adn sitting back kinda shows your nervous or defensive.

Be calm!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Comb hair, shave, look clean. Be yourself but appear in a nicer way. The handshake thing is good. Dont use slang, dont chew gum, keep your face straight. I hope you dont have alot of acne because for some reason your more inclined to get a job with clean skin.

Get a hair cut, and lets see here. Sound intelligent would be my best advice. When we hire people at coldstone. We ussually hire 3 people for every 100 applications we get. So we are very selective. You definatly need to be outgoing. Sound excited and energetic. Compaies dont heart lazy people.

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
man, youve got it easy

i got conned into getting picked up my a marines recruiter monday after school. no matter what i say they dont give up and keep on following me around.

heres the difference.

your going wanting to part of the circut city workforce. if you screw up, you dont, and go home and watch tv

im going not wanting to sign up. if i screw up and sign up, my ass is in iraq

but good luck nonetheless. talk abouthow your a people person and can be very persuasive, without being overbearing. say your knowledgable with all the latest technology and electronic gizmo's, stuff like that

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
the next job interview i go for i intend to wear a full black suit and tie. that'll make a statement.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chromekilla said:
man, youve got it easy

i got conned into getting picked up my a marines recruiter monday after school. no matter what i say they dont give up and keep on following me around.

heres the difference.

your going wanting to part of the circut city workforce. if you screw up, you dont, and go home and watch tv

im going not wanting to sign up. if i screw up and sign up, my ass is in iraq

but good luck nonetheless. talk abouthow your a people person and can be very persuasive, without being overbearing. say your knowledgable with all the latest technology and electronic gizmo's, stuff like that
lol

I'm doin the whole armed forces thing in a year. I kinda wanna be in iraq lol

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
as do I, but i want to go to college first

the way i see it, if ther's the possibility that i'm going to die for my country, i want to drink as much extremely cheap domestic beers as possible, and impregnate as many young, nieve girls as possible

·
Registered
905 Posts
remember (or write down) all your info, like SS number or past refrences incase they have you fill out forms before the interview. you dont wanna look un organized. Bring a nice looking mechanical pencil. nothing looks more professional then a mechanical pencil.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
the first interview i went on i screwed up. it was a camp interview last year whe n i applied to be a counselor. ok so i go into the office, and the woman isnt there, so i ask the woman at the desk what i should do. she said she'll interview me. now i knew it was supposed to be professional, but she did it very unprofessionally. she had the tv on, i had to sit at some 'tiny' table a 3 year old sits in, and the whole time she was holding a baby that was crying. so anyway, the questions went fine until she asked 'do you think a bad counselor should get a break?'

i responded with
'well not everyone can say their good counselors, its the opinion of the campers, if they are a bad counselor its not their fault they should just realize that mabye being a camp counselor isnt for them'.

now i realized later on that that was a dumbass answer, but HER answer was worse.

she says to me
''no you are wrong, a bad counselor should not get a break, if the camper needs you *blah blah blah*''

'what? i understand your point, but that was an opinion question how could i be wrong?'''

'apparently you dont want to follow directions, so why should i hire you?

''i did i just dont see why i could be wrong that was an unfair question because your answer is always right, you know what i dont really think this job is for be, good day''

she gave me more **** than that, i just always get pissed off when i think about it. the only reason the counselors god the jobs later on was because they knew the camp owner personally. and what pissed me off more was that it wasnt the real camp owner.. i went on a different interview this year it was great! i walked in she told me to be calm, she even pulled the garbage can over to put her feet up on. we talked about music, etc. i think i got that job because i was able to talk to the woman and have an intelligent conversation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts