Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Sounds good, a few less drunk high schoolers. :)

Seriously though, it was bound to happen eventually. There really isn't much that can be done about it.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
We do that at my school.

We dont do it all the time it's pretty much just completely random and it started when we came back from Christmas break.

So far as far as I know only 1 person has been tested.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
just because something doesnt happen in school, doesnt mean its invasion of privacy.. how often do you hear about some drunk story about someone from the weekend? this week alone, i heard about drunk girls hooking up with random guys.. and then you hear other stuff about stupid **** people do.

my school doesnt drug test, and i cant tell you how many people blaze before/after/during school. kids even drink in class (mix vodka w/ gatoradte). infact, the security guards have such a limited jurisdiction, kids go to this clearing in the middle of the woods literally 2 feet from the back exit of the school to smoke. and the school can't do **** about it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
We could debate forever if it is an invasion of privacy or not. I think it is complete Bull**** and really pisses me off. I would complain so much if I went to that school. I think our country is starting to go to far on this kind of stuff.

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
im sorry, but even though it sucks for 'us' theres still a legitimate reason for it. kids shouldnt be drinking, schools dont want to deal with drugs and drinking in a place where its illegal and not appropiate.

and then on top of it, it helps the parents out.. especially since they will know if their kids are drinking.

honestly, there are alot worse security problems than a school trying to crack down on underage drinking..

·
Ðèm-öñ(Pòp)tårt
1,469 Posts
i dont think it's necessarily an invasion of privacy, but more 'does it matter?'

why would a school need to do something about a student having a few drinks on the weekend?

is it really that big a problem? is it having such an effect on school that they're planning on this?

i dont drink at all but i still think this is not very well thought out... i've known my fair share of students who have parents that allow them to drink in the privacy of their own home... why does that matter?

eh - i guess it doesn't matter to me, i'm out of high school anyway.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
I used to get high on the weekends. Never was much on drinking but now I don't do anything. Just because of the drug testing.

My performance has everything but increased.

I still do small stuff to get a little buzz that will get out of my system quick but nothing like the THC or anything.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Haha 2 towns over from me. I don't really care about this. It's been the talk of our health class for the last few days. I havn't drank since freshman year so it won't affect me at all. But a lottt of people will have to go to counseling.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
in most states drinking is illegal if you're not 21. 21 is the national drinking age. either way, schools can bend any rules/laws/rights/etc. they feel are necessary to keep students safe. if you think this drug testing is BS, how come no one ever complains about the fact that schools can censor or search without warrants? this is basically no different.

and it has nothing to do with parenting or teaching.. it just has to do with workplace ethics. schools today are so different than the used to be years ago. think about the problems today in high schools: drugs, alcohol, sex, depression, racial problems. sound like they've existed since the 50's, but today its on a much more rampant level. the general truth is, schools have trouble getting rid of all these problems in school, so theyre forced to make more strict rules/regulations. in case you didnt already know, but legally school is considered a workplace. so, as a workplace, it is required by law to have certain rules and regulations in place to protect it's students from say harassment, discrimmination, etc. thats why sexual harassment is so broadly defined in schools. honestly alot of school laws and powers school boards have may sound like "BS", but theyre watching out for their back, the students' back, and attemtping to get rid of these problems in their 'workplace'.think about what employers do for their employees to prevent discrimination, or to protect other employees, or even to protect themselves from liability. its not different for a school.

·
Registered
814 Posts
in most states drinking is illegal if you're not 21. 21 is the national drinking age. either way, schools can bend any rules/laws/rights/etc. they feel are necessary to keep students safe. if you think this drug testing is BS, how come no one ever complains about the fact that schools can censor or search without warrants? this is basically no different.

and it has nothing to do with parenting or teaching.. it just has to do with workplace ethics. schools today are so different than the used to be years ago. think about the problems today in high schools: drugs, alcohol, sex, depression, racial problems. sound like they've existed since the 50's, but today its on a much more rampant level. the general truth is, schools have trouble getting rid of all these problems in school, so theyre forced to make more strict rules/regulations. in case you didnt already know, but legally school is considered a workplace. so, as a workplace, it is required by law to have certain rules and regulations in place to protect it's students from say harassment, discrimmination, etc. thats why sexual harassment is so broadly defined in schools. honestly alot of school laws and powers school boards have may sound like "BS", but theyre watching out for their back, the students' back, and attemtping to get rid of these problems in their 'workplace'.think about what employers do for their employees to prevent discrimination, or to protect other employees, or even to protect themselves from liability. its not different for a school.
I understand your point....Especially the part about student's rights being limited in a school. I can understand maybe a breathaliser(sp?) to make sure that kids are not drunk while AT school. But does the government have the power to see what you have done on the weekend? Is that their business?

One could argue that the tests are providing extra security in the workplace. Allowing for more focus and higher grades. In the end it could be said that this is being done for the greater Public or Common Good.

One could also argue that a school does not have the right to invade one's privacy. It is not the right of the school to monitor a students behavior out of school.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
it is the schools right, because alot of stuff out of school is brought TO school. like i said before, have you never heard of someone getting into a fight because of something that happened over the weekend? theyre not following you around outside of school all day, but theyre making sure that their students are keeping clean and they dont ahve to deal with any problems relating to drinking, especially since the majority of drinking is done during the weekend.

plus its not the government, its the school making the decision. and its not like theyre saying 'we're drug testing you because we want to' its because they CAN. its because students who go to school have to be there, and its considered likei said before, a workplace. the schools cant obviously get into certain types of business outside of school, but these type of things they can especially since they have to attend the school

·
Registered
814 Posts
I understand your point of view. I disagree.

I also understand that what I think means nothing. No matter how much I debate and argue it will change nothing. The school has the power and will for a long time. So I'm going to choose to NOT waste any more of my time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts