Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The average man is a conformist, accepting miseries and disasters with the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain.
Colin Wilson

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary. Albert Einstein

In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.
Bertrand Russell

Don't think you're on the right road just because it’s a well-beaten path.
Anon

Most people are more comfortable with old problems than with new solutions.
Anon

Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity. Christopher Morley

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road.
Voltaire

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
J.K. Galbraith

What this country needs is radicals who will stay that way regardless of the creeping years.
John Fischer

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

If you don't control your mind, someone else will.
John Allston

Mental slavery is mental death, and every man who has given up his intellectual freedom is the living coffin of his dead soul.
Robert Ingersoll, Individuality

Finding the occasional straw of truth awash in a great ocean of confusion and bamboozle requires intelligence, vigilance, dedication and courage. But if we don't practice these tough habits of thought, we cannot hope to solve the truly serious problems that face us - and we risk becoming a nation of suckers, up for grabs by the next charlatan who comes along.
Carl Sagan, The Fine Art of Baloney Detection

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Those who stand for nothing fall for anything.
Alexander Hamilton

Common experience shows how much rarer is moral courage than physical bravery. A thousand men will march to the mouth of the cannon where one man will dare espouse an unpopular cause.
Clarence Darrow, Resist Not Evil

All progress has resulted from people who took unpopular positions.
Adlai Stevenson

No.
President Jimmy Carter's daughter Amy, when asked if she had any message for the children of America

Habit rules the unreflecting herd
William Wordsworth

If everyone is thinking alike then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

One of the greatest pains to human nature is the pain of a new idea.
Walter Bagehot

And who can doubt that it will lead to the worst disorders when minds created free by God are compelled to submit slavishly to an outside will? When we are told to deny our senses and subject them to the will of others?
Galileo Galilei

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.
Albert Einstein

Consistency is contrary to nature, contrary to life. The only completely consistent people are the dead.
Aldous Huxley

Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.
George Bernard Shaw

I'm not sure I want popular opinion on my side - I've noticed those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.
Bethania McKenstry

just read it man.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
Those are all pretty similar quotes. They're good though.

But seriously, the message is be individual, I think that sums up the good majority of all of them without all the witty word play.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I felt more from them than that.

Of course, thats a good general message indeed. Individual doesn't mean do something particular new either...

Anyway.

I'll stop, because I know exactly what will happen if i keep writing on. It'll become an endless rant..

and I don't think PBF is ready for my endless rants. As I'm pretty horrific as it is.

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
Why do you always try to put up this "mightier than thou" attitude in each and every post/thread of yours. You look down on everyone else because you think your intellectually cultured and talking about cake and tits is below you?

You think your some Voltaire Jr. bringing enlightenment to pbf?

Think your bringing us our release from our "self incurred tutelage"? (Just to quote a little Kant.)

I actually think this is a cool thread, but you seriously need to lighten up some.

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Good quotes.. a favourite of mine:
"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
Anon

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chromekilla said:
Why do you always try to put up this "mightier than thou" attitude in each and every post/thread of yours. You look down on everyone else because you think your intellectually cultured and talking about cake and tits is below you?

You think your some Voltaire Jr. bringing enlightenment to pbf?

Think your bringing us our release from our "self incurred tutelage"? (Just to quote a little Kant.)

I actually think this is a cool thread, but you seriously need to lighten up some.
you do have a point.

I must honestly agree with you, I get this way alot. Its probably not good for me, at all.

The reason why I do it anyway (Knowing full well I'll probably come off as a jackass 9 times out of 10) is because i can't do it ANYWHERE ELSE.

So, I let all this pent up energy off in various different places.

Sometimes, it does not come out right, which is why I refrained from commenting on myself.

Sometimes, it does.

Anyway.

Yeah, you're most certainly right about me in this way.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ja289 said:
ok im just going to get this off my chest... whats with your posts? you made this thread, and then some other completely random thread about the EU...

well, one thing is for sure. I'm trying to find my own place on PBF that relate to my interests that i can discuss with others..

So, trial and error ?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
ja289 said:
but no one cares
I happen to love reading good quotes.

The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by somebody else's rules, while quietly playing by your own.
~Michael Konda

·
I'm on your back.
1,882 Posts
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it."
– Learned Hand

1 - 12 of 12 Posts