Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so for TWO months Ive been saving 90% of my paychecks to buy a 1200$ laptop from Compaq. The offer had a free upgrade to a 60gb hard drive from a 40gig harddrive. I have had my mind set on the particular setup for these past two months and now that I FINALLY have enough money for it, they take away the hard drive upgrade and start a free screen size upgrade. I dont need a freaking screen size upgrade...I want the extra 20 gigs damnit!!
So i wrote them a letter complaining (it was a nice letter, i was courteous and basically told them I was dissapointed and tried to get them to give me the HDrive upgrade.) I figure, if they dont give me the upgrade they lose a customer, and 1200 dollars...so I'm hoping that they will comply with me in order to make a profit. I figure its like buying a car. If you tell dealer "A" that he needs to knock off 1000$ from his price because you can get the same car from Dealer "B" for 800$ cheaper, then 99% of the time he will knock $$$ off the price. Hopefully the same applies to computers.

tl;dr
Been saving 2 months for a particular laptop setup and just when i go to buy it, they take away a free 20 gig hard drive upgrade. Wrote a letter of complaint and hoping for Compaq to comply

Discuss.

·
Registered
972 Posts
i was going to go buy a watch a big 5 and the watch i liked wasn't on sale but the one next to it which is the same make/brand/model but with a leather bad and different face plate but they were cool and gave me the one i wanted for the discounted price.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
My dad rebuilds nice laptops if you want one I can get you a very nice Buisness Class Toshiba laptop for around 1200. PM me if interested.

Compaq sucks anyways. HP is falling apart to.

·
Banned
259 Posts
My alienware laptop owns it!

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
i need a cheap but not pos laptop. i wish i had 1200 to spend on something...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Compaw sucks dont get compaq. Get a Vaio and just pay monthly. Theres no interest deals and the shipping is free. A dell Laptop will let you get the hard drive you want and you can probably get what you need for under $1000. Remember software should never be included in your reasons on why to get any computer as all software is free. ^_~

also 60 gigs compared to 40 isnt much of a big deal. I have 500 gigs on one compy and 300 on the other. I also have a DVD burner which is a way better way to back up your stuff since the DVD's hold 4.7 gigs each.

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Banned
259 Posts
how dare you speak that blasphemy to me!! Yea they are though only if you buy there desktops, because it is so much better to build your own. But since i dont know how to build a laptop i got one of theirs and well.... they hook you up with some good stuff.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
braka said:
ebay.. pricewatch.. ubid.. you can always find something better than retail
No, im not dealing with dead pixels or dead keys or dead mouse pads. Two of my close friends had horror stories involving that. Plus, im buying directly from HP. I did my homework and I found the exact same setup on other websites...best buy, comp usa for 300$ more. I know what im doing and have read up on reviews for this laptop and i am getting a good price on it and a good computer.

·
Registered
757 Posts
True ebay is sketchy... but ubid has a solid return policy and in some cases warranties are available. Pricewatch depends on the company, but as long as you do some googling to see what people's experiences have been there are no problems. There is a lot of peace of mind in buying from a big name, keep your opts open tho.

On ubid right now there's a refurb HP P4 2.8GHz, 60GB hd, DVD RW, CD RW. 90 day warranty with the option to purchase 1 year for $160. Price w/o warranty is 1100. Sounds close to what you were looking for...

·
More Caffine PLEASE!!!
334 Posts
Who the hell cares what kind of deal/up grade you get? The BIG think is customer care and support. I worked for both Dell and HP(Dell comps, and HP scanners). HP is going to a PUSH model of tech support. In other words: "Thank you for calling Hp/Compaq. Your what isn't working? That's too bad. We can send you a bigger new version of it for X dollars. You want to fix it? Um, well we can try, but I don't think it'll help. If you get the bigger thing, we can include a whatsit for an extra Y dollars."

Dell on the other hand has a much better and more comprehensive Warranty. With the changes they've made for Student systems you can get it replaced no matter what.

What ever you do though DO NOT get an eMachine.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts