Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a massive amount of research on this marker before my purchase and finally decide to go with it this spring. Here are my experiences and impressions:

Out of the box - nice marker. A bit of a pain making sure the dwell setting was correct (which I think in retrospect, I did not even have to do), but I figured it out easy enough. Don't love the little embedded power switch too much, but it worked fine...more on that later. All set and ready to fire. Gave it gas and loaded my Evo II hopper. Fired a few times and noticed it was very accurate with the Beast paint in it. Then a velocity drop. Then normal shot, then velocity drop...well stupid me, I did not have the tank in tightly enough. Screwed it in about 1/3 more turns and it was firing great.

First field experience - worked for about an hour perfectly. I then noticed it would beep, but not allow CO2 through. After a minute, it would fire more, but shortly after that it would cease from firing again - just beeps. I did not think it was CO2 issue because I use a remote line and assumed no CO2 was getting into the internals. Meanwhile I got obliterated in the field becasue I was not firing any paint! Ouch.

Called Smart Parts and they quickly gave me a RMA and said it was a known solenoid issue. I sent it in a few weeks later (just couldn't get to it) and they fixed it and sent it out fast. Nice service.

Marker is back and I tested it. Worked great. Next time in the field I prepped the marker the night before - everything is great. In the woods though, the marker refused to power up. Battery dead? Swapped battery still nothing. Looked like the button was "stuck" in the down position. It was no longer clear either, it had turned to a weird blue color...anyhow the marker was completely non-functioning so I borrowed a TIppman 98 and from a buddy and enjoyed the day. He had his 98 setup very nicely...best one I have used.

Back at home I called Smart Parts and explained the issue. The tech told me to take the body off the frame and push the button back out. Sometimes they get stuck down. He also said to use a razor to debur the hole where the button slides into and out of the housing. He did not tell me how to take the body off the frame, but stupid me again, I forgot to ask.

I was about to call back when I figured it out. The front handle needs to unscrew to lift the body off the frame. After it was done, it seems easy enough, but it took me a bit of time and patience as I did not want to break it.

Anyhow, sure enough the button was wedged into the frame improperly and keeping the actual power switch in the down position. The power switch is blue and that explains why the button looked blue when it was wedged next to it. Worse though, the little button had a small chip in it that made the back surface that contacts the power switch on the circuit board not quite flat. I think what is happening is that as I push the button, the switch is being pushed on an angle which makes the switch harder to push and the button wants to wedge in to the side of the switch. Ugh.

Anyhow, the button now works okay. I can get it on and off if I'm careful. If I get stuck in the field again, I can remove the button and use a small allen wrench to turn the marker on and off. This will be a pain, but a feasible fix to keep playing.

Next I want to call Smart Parts and see if they will send me a new button. It is a tiny little part. Honestly, I think it should be a bit longer for convenience, but I'll take what I can get.

So when the marker works, I really like it. I am 0/2 in the field though, which is bad. If I go 0/3 I will consider selling or returning the marker or even seeing what Smart Parts can do for me to keep me as a customer. I never had any trouble with my A-5, but that marker wasn't perfect in design either and was not as much fun to shoot. It did however, ALWAYS shoot.

I thought I would post for folks who are researching the marker. I would be happy to answer any questions.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
0/2?
Is that your kill/death ratio?

If you sell your guns just because you don't shoot anyone, then I think you need to just try and have fun when you play and not worry about those things

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
0/2?
Is that your kill/death ratio?

If you sell your guns just because you don't shoot anyone, then I think you need to just try and have fun when you play and not worry about those things
lol. No. Sorry if that was not too clear. 0/2 in the field means that I have tried to play twice with the marker and it has failed both times.

I do have fun playing and I don't see myself giving up on the hobby anytime soon.

I might give up on the marker though, if I go 0/3 with it in the field. I figure, 3 strikes you're out sort of thing...

·
Registered
28 Posts
That all seems real unfortunate. I'm sorry to hear that it hasen't been working all that good for you. I just ordered my Sp1 and hope it works well for me. I tried my firends vibe and fell in love with it. I'll give my input once i get a chance to test out my marker a few times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts