Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm thinking of getting a smart parts SP-1 sometime soon. I was wondering what is better...14" or 16" barrel and what barrel i should get for the SP-1. I'm looking to spend like $40 dollars on the barrel.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
either, its just personal preference, no preformance difference anywhere from 12"-16" above that you start loosing efficiancy, look into the J&J ceramic, they are $30 and imo better than any barrel under $70. i stick with 14", 12 is a little too short for me and 16 too long, with a longer barrel you can push bushes out of the way or bunkers but its also harder to move around with, 12 is easier to move with but you cant stick it through as many bushes or push larg bunkers out of the way

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Autococker threads are actually worse then SmartParts/Impuls threads in terms of overall quality

The only reason why cocker threads are so common is because back in the day, cockers were everywhere, and an industry standard, so of course, when other companies made guns, they want to keep everyone happy and keeps the same threads as all the bwlarrels hat everyone already has

Cocker threads are thin and fine, it takes quite a few twists to get it all the way threaded, and if you aren't careful, you can crossthread and/or strip the threads of your barrel and/or gun

SmartParts/Impulse threads are huge, corse, and are double helix(or whatever it's called when there are two seperate sets of threads) in design
It only takes 3 complete turns to screw in and out a SP barrel, close to impossible to cross thread or strip, and the dual helix design helps add strength and robustness to the threads

That's why SmartParts has their own threads
:)

P.S.
The only SP gun that I believe had a different threading was the SFT Shocker, which used SFT threads

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
the only downside i found to SP threads is because of the double helix design (im pretty sure thats what its called, i wasnt paying close enoufgh attention in class when we went over it a month ago) the barrels will sometimes rattle loose after you have snugged them on so you have to really make sure to get it on there good and tight, something that has not happened with my cocker threaded markers yet

I believe all SP guns are Impulse threaded (don't know why them and a few companies have to be difficult and not use autococker).
really its called SP threads, idk who started calling it ion/impulse threads but it gives the impression that the ion and impulse are threaded differently than the rest of the SP line which is not true, the older SFT shockers had different threading but i dont believe any SP marker has ever had AC threading, not even the luxe. you can however get AC threaded breaches for the ion, this is a aftermarket part of corse

1 - 7 of 7 Posts