Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K sorry if this has showed up too much but is it true??? I need some one too back it up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so basically the owners jus took there money and abandoned sp? How long do you guys think it will take them to go bankrupt?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya same here. I read on the nation that there doing restructureing??? Then ppl were saying theywent bankrupt. I wish they weren't

·
KRAKEN! KRAKEN! KRAKEN!!!
1,298 Posts
Like they are saying on nation. All you guys who want them dead don't realize what they have done for the paintball industry
Stealing patents doesn't count...
:)

But on a serious note, I'll agree that most SP haters have no idea why they hate SP, it's just the cool thing to do. There are a few of us who are well informed and decide for ourselves if we like or hate the company.

You can thank Mike Phillips for the creation of your stereotypical SP hater.

·
1,298 Posts
I didn't run into nearly as many poser SP haters until he started dishing out the hate. Yeah he isn't the sole cause but he definitely played a large role.
For some reason teens just eat up his every word without forming their own opinion.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Like they are saying on nation. All you guys who want them dead don't realize what they have done for the paintball industry
What have they done for the industry? Released a ****ty pump gun? Stole a product from Pneu-Ventures, Inc., sued them and bankrupted them? Patented spiral porting (though they didn't invent it) and shut down manufacturers using it? Patented the electro (though they didn't invent it) and shut down manufacturers, stifled growth of others, and raised prices across the industry by demanding bogus royalties? Patented barrel inserts (again, though they didn't invent them) and shut down more manufacturers and stifled others? Released guns that used proprietary barrel threading so they could sell more barrels? Released guns that used proprietary batteries so they could make a few more bucks? Released barely-functional, problem-laden, underdeveloped markers made from velveeta-grade aluminum that required upgrades out of the box to work properly? Yeah, they are great. :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to touch on the Ion, a cheap, high ROF marker mass-marketed to the kiddies that arguably precipitated the current decline of airball/speedball.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok now not dishin you or anything but phune ventures was making the same thing as sp was at the time. Now all sp was trying to do was protect there marker and products. Now if I am a buisness I would want to own everything and anything, sp was jus protecting there sales and products.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
What have they done for the industry? Released a ****ty pump gun? Stole a product from Pneu-Ventures, Inc., sued them and bankrupted them? Patented spiral porting (though they didn't invent it) and shut down manufacturers using it? Patented the electro (though they didn't invent it) and shut down manufacturers, stifled growth of others, and raised prices across the industry by demanding bogus royalties? Patented barrel inserts (again, though they didn't invent them) and shut down more manufacturers and stifled others? Released guns that used proprietary barrel threading so they could sell more barrels? Released guns that used proprietary batteries so they could make a few more bucks? Released barely-functional, problem-laden, underdeveloped markers made from velveeta-grade aluminum that required upgrades out of the box to work properly? Yeah, they are great. :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to touch on the Ion, a cheap, high ROF marker mass-marketed to the kiddies that arguably precipitated the current decline of airball/speedball.
Getting patents = making more money.
They are smart for sueing them especially if there was no patents on the **** already

we have another ion hater. Why do you dislike it? because it was a great entry level gun that could keep up with the higher priced electros?

·
1,298 Posts
Ok now not dishin you or anything but phune ventures was making the same thing as sp was at the time. Now all sp was trying to do was protect there marker and products.
Who designed that product? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't Smart Parts. :)

Here's my biggest problem with the Gardner brothers, they patent a piece of technology they didn't invent and proceed to sue the inventor(s) and any one using the previously public domain technology into the ground. Six feet into the ground to be exact.

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
Fk SP, and all their products. I jumped through hoops and bent over backwards to get them in my store as a vendor, put up great sales numbers for them and they completely fked me. I hope their factory catches fire.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Ok now not dishin you or anything but phune ventures was making the same thing as sp was at the time. Now all sp was trying to do was protect there marker and products. Now if I am a buisness I would want to own everything and anything, sp was jus protecting there sales and products.
Busy day at work... I don't time to adequately respond to this... But no, that is not correct. PVI was contracted by Smart Parts to invent the Shocker, and SP had an exclusive licensing agreement to sell it. SP then reverse-engineered the gun, started making it themselves, patented it and served PVI with legal action. How it got through the courts, I have no idea, but in the end PVI was left with a gun they invented but were not legally allowed to market, and went bankrupt.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Getting patents = making more money.
They are smart for sueing them especially if there was no patents on the **** already

we have another ion hater. Why do you dislike it? because it was a great entry level gun that could keep up with the higher priced electros?
Yeah, never mind screwing the player base or other companies, let's have paintball companies sue each other. Don't you get how that's bad for the sport?

I'm not interested in debating the Ion. SP made a smart business move by mass-producing a cheap little electro, and made good money off of it. I think it "arguably" precipitated the decline of airball/speedball, but am not interested in arguing it.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
great? ion? they half assed the design in order to save a few bucks, yes it is a electopnuematic marker on a budget but something as simple as a back cap would have made it so much better and lead to less broken parts during routene maintanance, but broken parts lead to more money for SP, yes your right though lets congradulate SP on produsing a half assed marker much like everything else they make, all the LPR-less stuff that could easily be better with a LPR but that would require less of a profit margin on SPs end

the only good thing that came out of that camp was the vibe but even it was a ion base design, the company only produses 3 markers, the shocker, the impulse and the ion

im glad they are dying, industry will be better off without them

talked to a field owner a few weeks ago, he said SP had lost most of their pattents in the whole .50 crash over in Europe, but they did manage to hang on to the E-frame one which is now going over to GI-milsim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts