Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, being in the Electrical/Computer Engineering college of my school, I need to take some courses in programing(C++). At first I figured this class would be pretty much a push-over but now I'm not so sure... I found out we needed a "spartan 3e starter board."

Check this thing out:
Spartan-3E Starter Kit Image

Apparently, my RA tells me, we need to learn to write programs that run on that thing. So it is basically some switches, a processor, and some memory. Fun stuff.

Maybe I am a loser, but I am pretty excited to get my hands on this thing and play with it.

Weird? I think so.

Any body do anything like this before or have any ideas what it does?

·
Registered
11,482 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Looks sweet. Is that an IDE interface on the right? Any pics of the sides?
Not IDE, IDE is 40 pin, that has more. Looks like the top left is where a power plug will plug in, and the left looks like an ethernet adapter maybe?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Key Features

Xilinx Devices: Spartan-3E (XC3S500E-4FG320C), CoolRunner™-II (XC2C64A-5VQ44C) and Platform Flash (XCF04S-VO20C)

Clocks: 50 MHz crystal clock oscillator

Memory: 128 Mbit Parallel Flash, 16 Mbit SPI Flash, 64 MByte DDR SDRAM

Connectors and Interfaces: Ethernet 10/100 Phy, JTAG USB download, Two 9-pin RS-232 Serial Port, PS/2- style mouse/keyboard port, rotary encoder with push button, Four Slide Switches, Eight Individual LED Outputs, Four Momentary-Contact Push Buttons, 100-Pin hirose Expansion Connection Ports and Three 6-pin expansion connectors

Display: 16 character - 2 Line LCD

I have not done any C or C++ but I have done java before. My lab was canceled this week... so I need to wait until next week to give you guys an update.

Turns out there is a heavy focus on "Integrated systems." So I think that has a lot to do with why we have this board thing.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Key Features

Xilinx Devices: Spartan-3E (XC3S500E-4FG320C), CoolRunner™-II (XC2C64A-5VQ44C) and Platform Flash (XCF04S-VO20C)

Clocks: 50 MHz crystal clock oscillator

Memory: 128 Mbit Parallel Flash, 16 Mbit SPI Flash, 64 MByte DDR SDRAM

Connectors and Interfaces: Ethernet 10/100 Phy, JTAG USB download, Two 9-pin RS-232 Serial Port, PS/2- style mouse/keyboard port, rotary encoder with push button, Four Slide Switches, Eight Individual LED Outputs, Four Momentary-Contact Push Buttons, 100-Pin hirose Expansion Connection Ports and Three 6-pin expansion connectors

Display: 16 character - 2 Line LCD

I have not done any C or C++ but I have done java before. My lab was canceled this week... so I need to wait until next week to give you guys an update.

Turns out there is a heavy focus on "Integrated systems." So I think that has a lot to do with why we have this board thing.
java's good...that's what i love about coding, if you get past that initial learning curve on any given code, then all the rest is pretty much the same, but with different tags.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts