Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that we hooking up normal stereo subs and speakers (not car) that if you have the wires all bunched up together a short circuit can happen or you can get less performance. I have about 5 speakers and all the wires are bunched up but i'm not getting anything like that, which i'm happy. Like all my wires are touching in ****, should I seperate em?

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
The only un-insulated parts should be the ends. If those are frayed, too long, or otherwise touching each other they'll short. As for the insulated other 99% of the wire, it should be fine unless something happens that will destroy the covering.

You could get interference or noise if they're poorly shielded cheap cables, or if they're laying by something that carries a lot more power than they do though.

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
like torch said...as long as the ends that have no insulation are touching...you should be ok

i have a lot of audio wires bunched up behind my entertainment center to...nothing bad has happened or anything and i always use my stereo

also...make sure that you dont have your wires switched...from your reciever to your speaker...i mean the side of the wire or the wire that is plugged into the negative (black i think) channel should also be plugged into the negative plug in on the speaker

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fenix_freak said:
like torch said...as long as the ends that have no insulation are touching...you should be ok

i have a lot of audio wires bunched up behind my entertainment center to...nothing bad has happened or anything and i always use my stereo

also...make sure that you dont have your wires switched...from your reciever to your speaker...i mean the side of the wire or the wire that is plugged into the negative (black i think) channel should also be plugged into the negative plug in on the speaker
What happends if they are switched?

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
on cheaper speakers (like the ones that come with stereos you get at like wal-mart) it doesnt really matter. But on better speakers it can short them out and ruin the speaker

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
What happends if they are switched?
this a a fun littel experiment to do. if you've got 2 speakers in the same box wire them in opposire ways and turn them on...sounds like crap doesn't it? this is becasue when one speaker is pushing out the other one is pulling in, causing the sound waves to opposite. It affects the high end sounds less thatn the low end sounds though.

I accidentyl wired my car speakers oposite and couldn't figure out why it sounded horrible till I loked at the wirieing and realized how stupid I was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts