Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or so ago I got a speeding ticket. 74 in a 55. It was my first one ever, so I have a clean record. I'm wondering how much you guys think it will be for. It was a state trooper, if that makes a difference. I'm going to plead not guilty, though I don't know if it will make a difference or not. What am I looking at either way?

Not that it makes a difference, but I was late to work. Moral is, don't speed unless you don't mind getting caught eventually.

-Jin

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I was just thinking about how lucky I was to never have been pulled over in the 2 1/2 years I've been driving.

Then again...I obey the speed limit with 8 mph 99% of the time, so the cop would have to be a ***** to pull me over.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
In Michigan that would be a $110+ ticket. Unfortunately I have no idea what it would be where you are. I rarely go that fast in a 55, though, and you probably won't after this, either :p.

·
Registered
904 Posts
It varies from the state, your ticket will have a number to call. Call the number, get the info and it should tell how much you'll have to pay. It could be around 100 to 200 dollars, but it's gonna be bad on insurance in the long run. As far as pleading not guilty, that's hard to do. You couldn't file for harrassment, and you plainly violated a traffic law. There was no legitimate reason for you to disobey safe traffic practices. Running late for work is not an acceptable excuse and you could get laughed out of the court.

Simple thing to do is pay the ticket, take the dd course and get it whiped of your insurance, but be careful for the next 2 years, because next time it will go on your record, and you can only do the course once every 2 years.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, what sucks is that I've been trying to work as much as possible, because I need the money for something I'm saving up for. I work tech crew at my college, so every Friday we have a meeting where we can sign up for jobs. It's first come first serve.

So basically I was speeding to work so I could sign up and make more money, when I get pulled over, get a ticket that will cost me a ton, and also miss out on all the good jobs. :rolleyes:

I've been driving for 2+ years and have never gotten a ticket or been in an accident (when it was my fault), so I'm hoping that will help.

-Jin

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Your insurance will skyrocket.

Most states, you can double the ticket and nothing happens. I'd do that, or get a lawyer to take care of it for you. Sure he may cost more than the ticket, but **** look at it this way.. no court to show up to and pay fees and your insurance won't skyrocket.

If I got charged with my drag racing ticket, my insurance would have multiplied by 1.5

Lawyer was definitely the way to go in that situation.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
my last speeding ticket was 180 for doin 85 in a 60. since that was my first moving violation i had the option to take a defensive driving course and avoid having my insurance going up unless i got another moving violation.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it doesn't say the cost of the ticket on there. And there's no phone number to call.

1337 - What do you mean double it?

Is there any downside to pleading not guilty? What are the chances that they'll lessen it to a lower violation?

-Jin

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was what I thought, but my dad talked to a friend of his who's son is a cop. He said that I should plead not guilty, and they might lessen the offense.

The trooper who pulled me over was a decent guy, and though he made it clear he couldn't tell me how to plead, it seemed as if he was suggesting that I plead not guilty. So I don't know...I'd rather pay it and be done, but then again if I can get it lessened and not pay as much on my insurance it'd be nice.

:shrug:

-Jin

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
i would call down to the court house or wherever you go to pay you tickets and ask them if they have any programs that you can do to possibly lessen you ticket or have it taken off your record.

when you call there they should be able to tell you how much it will be too.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
i got one like 3-4 weeks ago it sucks its going to be about 160 for mine. 65 in a 55.

I'll be taking a driving course though... so no raised insurance and parents dont have to find out.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
In Kansas, you can double the fine and it doesn't count against you or get submitted to your insurance company.

·
PbF Administrator
3,361 Posts
Call the court office and ask them about deferring it. I know here in Indiana you can get it deferred as long as you are at least 17 years old and never had a ticket. What it does is you pay a little extra and it wont go on your record, BUT if you get another within one year both tickets will go on your record. I got a ticket a little over 2 years ago and my insurance didn't raise.

D

·
0 Posts
here you take it to court.. and more often than not the cop wont show up.. and you get away for free.

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
There should ALWAYS be something you can do to take it off your record, as long as its a first offense.

I got lucky, my cop wrote it backwards on the ticket.

45 in a 65 issent illegal your honor...

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
There should ALWAYS be something you can do to take it off your record, as long as its a first offense.

I got lucky, my cop wrote it backwards on the ticket.

45 in a 65 issent illegal your honor...
LMFAO! HAhahaa

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
I'll look for the ticket to scan tommorow.

Worst part was, cop had a retainer or somthing, that messed up his S's when he talked. He seriously looked like 18. Redheaded and pretty fresh.

'Do you know how faschht you were going?'

1 - 20 of 45 Posts