Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Spyder ACS Pilot

4K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  bbcmudtruck 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm having trouble getting my Spyder Pilot ACS to work properly. I've had it for 6 years or so and only shot around 100 balls through it. I got it out to play the other day and the solenoid wont push the hammer hard enough to release the bolt. I've tried a new regular 9v battery and it still wont push it hard enough. Do I have to have 9.6v battery for it to work? Any help?

#5 ·
Ok I'll try radio shack for a new capacitor. While we are on the subject, is this gun worth upgrading? I also have a 98 custom and from what I've seen, people say not to spend money on them. So would this acs be worth fixing up? I'd like a more accurate barrel. What else could I get for these guns that is worth buying? Thanks for your help!

#6 ·
if you want a barrel look into a $30 J&J, they are fantastic but i would not sink too much money into an entry level marker, they are just not worth it considering you can pick up a mid range marker starting at around $200 now a days

the best things you can get for it are a forcefeed hopper and a HPA tank

#8 ·
Ok sounds good. I realize that its a cheap gun, but at the same time I'm a woods player that plays with friends about 10 weekends a year, if that. I don't want to dump a ton of money into a high dollar marker and I have to stick to co2. Where is a good place to buy a new board, barrel and hopper for it? Also, what hopper specifically should I get? Thanks for your guys help, its much appreciated!

#10 ·
No, thats not correct. I'd like to put a barrel on it for a little better accuracy as well as a better hopper to feed it. Currently it doesn't work at all and honestly my local radio shack is kinda dumb, so I don't even know if they can get me the correct parts to fix it. I bought it 6 years ago an never really got to use it. I kinda hate to just throw it away if I can fix it for a reasonable amount. From what I understand a good barrel is about 30-40 bucks and I'm not sure what a good hopper costs, that what I'm asking you guys. So what should I do? Throw it away and buy another gun? I just bought a new Tippman 98 so I could go play with my friends last weekend. I use walmart paint and I'm fine with that. I would just like to have a good reliable gun that doens't break paint and shoots where I aim it! So what is a good mid-range gun I should be looking for? Remember that I need to stick to CO2 because we have our own refill bottle. Switching over to nitrogen or whatever it is you guys use would be a pain in the ass and I would have to build or buy my own refill station. So to wrap it up in short. I have a nice new ACS that doesn't work. I have a new Tippmann 98 that quite honestly worked great, other than ****ty accurracy. I play a few weekends a year, if even that often. In the end, I want a good reliable gun that is accurate and shoots CO2. Questions, thoughts? Thanks

#12 ·
well the tippmann should work fine for just some backyard ball

to put a new board in the acs your looking at roughly $70 minimum.

if you are willing to put in the effort here is what i would suggest, take the $70 for the board, and the $75ish you can sell the tippmann for, together that will get you right around the $150 that a spyder fenix sells for. it will still use co2, has a whole host of features over the 98 and a good chunk of features better than the acs

a barrel will help accuracy but sadly not to the amount you are thinking it will. paintballs are inherently inaccurate, they are a liquid filled sphere rolling through the air, that said the best way to improove your accuracy is to shoot good paint. the wal mart paint may have a good price but you pay for it in other ways. if you put crap paint in the barrel you will get crap accuracy out of it and the barrel can not do much to change that

#13 ·
Ok, I have two other low level guns as well. I have an old spyder sonix and an old pirahna. They both work. Would either of those two be worth fixing up a little? I'd like to keep the 98, it was honestly very reliable. Would it be worth putting a barrel and hopper on it? IE would it improve the accuracy and feed performance, I'm not talking about resale value. What barrel should I get for them?

#14 ·
J&J if you're going to get a barrel
about $30 and a forum favorite here

As for fixing up your other markers, sure
Most of the problems (if any) are just replacing orings. Don't get into serious upgrades though, price/performance ratio it's better to save all that money upgrading your low levels and either just going out to play or using the money to get an overall better marker

#15 ·
Ok thanks guys. With your help I'm starting to get a feel for what I need to do. The radio shack has my ACS now and they are going to see about replacing the capacitor, hopefully that will get it back up and running. So get the J&J Ceremic barrel for all my guns? Also, if I ordered up some better paint for accuracy and breaking issues, what pait should I order up for woods ball? Thanks again!

#16 ·
really that depends on how much you want to spend

Draxxus bronze is one of my favorites stay away from their "field grade" paints though,i also love ANYTHING made by RPS (check out "premium" for a good paint thats not too expensive)

if you need to go cheaper, visible impact has been good to me in the past and its really cheap

#21 ·
He charged me 24 bucks, and they installed it. I think the actaul part cost around 12 bucks.thanks again for your help. That gun is the same as new, I would have had a hard time just throwing it away. I'm going to order up another J&J forthe spyder as well as some draxxus bronze. If my friends decide to get a little more serious and play more often, I'll look into a better marker, but for now I have 4 entry level guns that work at least!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.