Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apparently offended with my last post. Sorry.

I'm trying to get back into playing paintball. I used to have a Spyder SE, and played pretty regularly. I got out of it for a few years because of work, but recently I've wanted to start playing again. I was all set to get a Spyder Sonix (in Matte Titanium). I could pick up the marker, mask, CO2 tank, and some cleaning stuff for around $200 online. But a friend of mine recently offered me a DM4 Matrix with a Nitro set up, spare barrel, mask, and some jerseys and stuff for $150. Sadly I've been out for so long, I don't know how good a DM4 is. Apparently new it was like $1000 or so, and Dye makes pretty good markers (or so I've been told). Should I just stick to the Sonix, or go for the DM4? Thanks in advance guys!

Drew

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i just got a dm6, i love it, yes it probably was over 1000 new but that was 4 years ago, I just snaged mine for 500 and its only 2 years old (if you havnt figured it out the number coresponds to the year)theres still a good aftermarket for it.....well i WAS gunna say to go look at pbreview but i just found out that theres nothing but the dm7 and dm8 on there, I for one would generally take any HPA marker over a CO2 set up, more consistant, better accuracy, longer life.

I dont know a terible amout about the spyder, im sure someone on here will be able to answer your question properly, but honestly, $150 is a pretty good deal for that set up, sounds like all youll need is a hopper that can keep up and youll be ready to go.
Ah, no I hadn't realized the number matched the year. So it's a 4 year old marker. I'm not to worried about the Nitro vs CO2 problem. I'm strictly a rec player, so it's not a big issue. I don't really like to buy used equipment, especially one thats 4 years old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just do your research and really compair both before deciding, but honestly, $150 is a heck of a deal for all that, im not so convinced your friend knows what he is selling. or he is just REALLY nice
He needs money desperately. That's the only reason he's selling it. The issue is we live several states apart, so I can't inspect the stuff myself. Otherwise I wouldn't be to concerned about it.

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
I agree, the only real problem I see here is the price. you know the old saying "If it's too good to be true, it usually is?" That's what comes to mind here. be sure to get all hsi contact info, phone number, parents number, drivers lisence number, etc etc before making this deal. I think I smell a scam here. That or you are buyign stolen good.

edit: oh this is a friend. How good of a friend is he?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
DM4s are heavy an inefficient, but in every other respect they're great markers. I'd take one over any Spyder. Just be sure that you're not getting scammed, $150 is unusually low for a DM4 with all those extras.
dot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's a guy I knew a few years back. I would say more of an acquaintance than a friend. This was actually the first time we've talked in probably over a year.

DM4s are heavy an inefficient, but in every other respect they're great markers.
Huh? I'm not sure how to take this. If it's heavy and inefficient, wouldn't that make it bad? I remember my Spyder always performed great, which is why I'm tempted to just go with another one.

The more I think about this, the worse it sounds. So I think I'll just pass on this one, and maybe get a Spyder instead. Thanks for the help guys!

Drew

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Test the DM4 and make sure it works. If it does, buy that instead of the spyder.

The DM4 will outperform the Spyder tremendously. Although it will be heavier and probably not as efficient. It will still shoot a lot better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Test the DM4 and make sure it works. If it does, buy that instead of the spyder.

The DM4 will outperform the Spyder tremendously. Although it will be heavier and probably not as efficient. It will still shoot a lot better.
Sadly the DM4 is about 1200 miles away in a different state. So I can't test it in person.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Well, if you trust the guy go for it. thumup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
sounds auckwardly low priced. If its true take the dm4

·
Registered
65 Posts
Never buy a spyder!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Also consider a SP ION, you can find them for about $160 new and it'll be way better than the spyder, and theres a lot of aftermarket stuff for them

·
Registered
80 Posts
a working dm4 for $150 alone is a hell of a deal.

get the dm4 package over the kingman spyder sonix package.

other marker packages are a different story.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts