Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still don't understand the concept of standardized testing. I mean, the state wastes millions of dollars printing and correcting all the tests increasiing the deficit and whatnot. It's a waste of time too -- we're taking half the day for a WEEK to take these stupid tests. By the time I'm finished with them I don't feel like learning anything for the rest of the day. Some of them have stupid questions too, like the Science Standards test. It showed four objects. It asked "Which one of these is used to measure blood pressure?" I bubbled in the letter for the syringe just to spite whoever is going look at the test so they'll actually realize how stupid these tests are.

Random rant... some states don't even have standardized testing.. lucky bastards =/

·
Registered
522 Posts
those tests test not how smart you how, but how well you think. I guess the government needs to know how well America can think...

i don't mind them cause i'm smart, and cause i can miss school, and hang out for a while...it's all good.

·
Registered
98 Posts
personally i love them just for the fact that i have like half of the school day i usually wud have.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The real reason for standardized testing?

Teachers Unions.

Nearly all public school teachers are part of the United Teachers Union, which is one of the most powerfull union in the country.

This union is SO POWERFUL, that most schools are afraid to fire teachers for incompetence, and bad teaching. As a result, we have a lot of kids leaving high-school who can't read, and don't know basic math.

The states realize the problem with the Unions, but also do not want to deal with them. Some states have tried to test the teachers, but run into FIERCE opposition from the unions.
SO... many states have switched to testing the students, as a "roundabout" way of weeding out the crappy teachers.

The unions are still mad as heck, and they GIVE A LOT OF MONEY to 'certain political organizations', which means that the issue has become VERY POLITICAL, unfortunetly.

As a result, the tests have become meaningless, lost in the current political war over education. Schools are again afraid because they are worried about retaliation when the next state-level administration takes over.

nick

·
Registered
98 Posts
so in other words i can get myself and my friends to fail the test and get one of my asses of a teacher out ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts