Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
<a href="http://www.picoo
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so most of PbF's older guys went to college this year but I still have a year, but I want to make decisions now.

I'm good at hockey and play for a AA team and NDP Varsity (best in state.) When I go to college I want to go to law school and then to a cinematographer study, and I was thinking NYU would be a good place for both of those, no? But I also want a shot at the pros (I know, it's a long shot) because I've been playing hockey for 14 years.

What are some good schools with what I have in mind?

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
Sorry to break it to you, but you have to decide on something. If you want to be a pro hockey player, then apply to a school that has a good hockey program. If you want to do law, apply to a good law school. If you want to do film, apply to a good film school. Obviously you can apply to more than one school, but you're going to have to make a decision eventually as to where you're going to go.

NYU is a great university, but realize that when you apply, you apply to a specific program.

·
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh, I realize I can only apply to one thing, that's why I would stay in law till' I get masters, then go to film. I just don't want to waste time with hockey if I don't make it.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Yeh, I realize I can only apply to one thing, that's why I would stay in law till' I get masters, then go to film. I just don't want to waste time with hockey if I don't make it.
What do you plan on doing in law? If lawyer status is what you're shooting for I don't think you'll be up for another 4 years of college in film school if you've already went through the BAR and everything else.

I don't know you that well so I have no idea on what to tell you to do. Hell I'm myself and I don't even know what I want to do. Production major is what I'm looking at right now.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
yeah what NYY said.

NYU is a ridiculously hard school to get into (ESPECIALLY for cinemetography). my friend's older brother actually got into the film school somehow. he had to do a 6-part supplemental application (had to write a sample script, essays, send in a film, etc.).

and to get into stern, thats even harder..

your best bet is to find a school with a good hockey team. and unless you've already considered playing hockey in college, you better step it up now before its too late, because schools come to you for that sort of thing.

·
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you plan on doing in law? If lawyer status is what you're shooting for I don't think you'll be up for another 4 years of college in film school if you've already went through the BAR and everything else.

I don't know you that well so I have no idea on what to tell you to do. Hell I'm myself and I don't even know what I want to do. Production major is what I'm looking at right now.
Well really, I don't exactly want to be in law it's just want my mom would want because she's a lawyer. I see what you're saying and now that I think about it you're probably right. I think I might have to go law though because Cinematographer's don't make the money lawyers do unless they are amazing.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
do you actually have any involvment in any of these programs though?

you cant just decide you want to play hockey, you have to actually play hockey and be involved.. if thats what you want to do..

lawyer? get your grades up, you're going to have to go to a good school, take lots of pre-law and lots of business classes, then go through law school

cinematographer? do you actually do any film-related activities? inside, and outside of school?

my friend's brother had to take film classes at NYU for 2 summers, direct and shoot basically every school event, and had a huge portfolio for the dean of the NYU film school to reccomend him.

its not like you canjust wake up and decide you want to do one of these things, because sadly, its not that simple.

and theres money in every field.. lawyers happen to be the most abundant career available today. people say theres no money for lawyers anymore, but thats completely untrue. the opportunities come to whomever you work for. if you work for a large, money-making firm, well thats not a problem. thats also why you have to go to a good college/law school.

the film/movie industry is extremely competitive. my family friend is an agent in hollywood, he makes hardly any money doing his job, despite the fact that he went to NYU stern to get where he is. my dad graduated from new york tech in 1970, he made more in 1970 than my family friend (an NYU grad) does now.. starting salary too.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Well really, I don't exactly want to be in law it's just want my mom would want because she's a lawyer. I see what you're saying and now that I think about it you're probably right. I think I might have to go law though because Cinematographer's don't make the money lawyers do unless they are amazing.
In the long run it's not going to be about money. I say go into a career that you will always enjoy doing.

Do what you're passionate about in other words.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.