Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a project due on the stock market tomorrow. I have this sheet with information to find, and one of the things I need to find are my dividends.

So, the companies I need to find dividends for are Evergreen Energy, Gamestop corp, and C & D Technologies.

I go to the NYSE site and look at the companies, and they all show a 0 and 0% dividend, or either a n/a sign. Clearly thats no the answer, because my sheet says:

"To find the annual earnings of your stocks, multiply your dividend by the number of shares purchased."

That would cause all those numbers to be zero. There's also a question saying "to find total earnings, all all your dividends" which would be zero, and there's several other questions involving my dividends. So I'm pretty sure they're another number other than zero.

Any help is appreciated. Project is due tomorrow btw, so hastefull answers would be nice.

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, help me with the rest of this then, because without any dividends, it seems I lose all my money. Which would probably mean that I fail the project.

"
Annual Earnings of Stocks:
Dividend of stock 1_______________ (dividend times number of shares purchased)
Dividend of stock 2_______________
Dividend of stock 3_______________

Total Earnings of Stocks
Total earnings (add all above dividends)______________
Total earnings above transaction costs (subract costs from dividends)_______________

Total Profit or Loss AFTER Total Earnings (Add total profit line to total earnings line)

"

So if all my dividends are zero, it results in me losing a crap load of money, even thought my stocks turned out pretty well.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Dividends change with each quarter anyways. If a company has high dividends, it generally means they are doing well, as they can afford to give money back to their stock holders. But as said, not all companies give out dividends, or can afford to.

For your project, you earn $0 annually. Owning a stock in any of those companies makes you absolutely nothing right now. Just because you own stock in a company does not mean you make money off of it. Without dividends, you only make money when you sell the stocks.

Did you pick these companies yourself? You may want to pick different companies. Or see if it says anything in the project outline about selling your stocks.

-Jin

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
darn. well, we've been recording this stuff for 30 days, so I have a chart with all my crap on it for the past 30 days. to pick new companies, I'd have to start over scratch.

So I do I just put 0 in for all my answers and admit that even though I made smart investments, I thought, I ended up with no cash? Because that is not cool.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
No. What you would say is something like you picked stocks that, despite not currently offering any annual dividends, show great promise and potential for growth, which may lead to high dividends in the future, or a large jump in stock price, in which case you can sell your shares for a large profit.

Play it off like it was intentional - very few people who day trade make profits. A lot of the big money in stocks come from long term investments, or at least a few months. It usually takes a few quarters to see market changes.

-Jin

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah word I got it. I wasn't thinking about it straight.

I see now, even though I didn't have dividends and my earnings from transaction costs was in the negatives (-$6,394.36), My total profit was $15,266.48. Thus making my total profit $8,872.12 after trading $100,000 worth of stocks for 20 days.

Which isn't bad I'd say?

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
You would have made more money by picking random German stocks ya know =) The irrationality of it all...

Hey, who's the other Econ majors here? Anybody down for a little game theory throwdown?

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
Ah word I got it. I wasn't thinking about it straight.

I see now, even though I didn't have dividends and my earnings from transaction costs was in the negatives (-$6,394.36), My total profit was $15,266.48. Thus making my total profit $8,872.12 after trading $100,000 worth of stocks for 20 days.

Which isn't bad I'd say?
You can buy and subscribe to software that makes stock decisions for you. It's all based on bizarre derivatives and what not. Still, many a day trader can make many a dollar by buying the software...

... must be nice to be rich... :rolleyes:

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was way more than just homework thread, I was interesting in expanding my knowledge of the stock market. The stock market is an important part of today's business society, and understanding how buying/selling/ and trading stock is an integral part of understanding how our economy works.

And I did do my own work, as you can see from my last post :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts