Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
PB REF
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
There isn't just one, Stonehenge is the only one that gets attention though.

There is actually hundreds, thousands of megaliths all over the world, although most noticeably in north western Europe. There is even one here on the east coast of the U.S., although I forget what state. It wasn't made by Indians though....

You dont give prehistoric people enough credit. Starting about 5,200 years ago these stone circles (megaliths) started popping up in Europe. Stonehenge was built like around 4,000 years ago. It was pretty much the ritual center of southern England. Whats more interesting than actually how they made it, is that while the big ones came from a quarry about 25 miles away from the site, the smaller, "blue" stones came from a quarry about 150 miles away. My professor told me that it took like over 1,000 men to haul one of those big stones to the sight.

As for what it is, we really dont know. There are burials there, and there is a sight possibility that some sacrifice could have happened there, it was probably a place for burial for important people of the time. The stones do lin up with the midsummer sunrise, so that was probably an important date to them.

As for how it was erected, the holes were dug and each stones would be lain on the ground with one end over the hole, then ropes would be tied to the other end and they would hoist them up into the holes. How they got the stones up on top? I dunno, I'm stupid.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Aliens....... But seriously, how many people today would it take to lift up those big rock's? Not sure how much they weigh apeice, but if they weigh around 500 lb's a piece, 5 guys could lift them up. How would they lift them up so high? Well, By standing on the rock's they havent put up yet. :rolleyes:

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
What's funny though is 2,000 years from now people will look at structures like the empire state building, or sears tower, or the Petronas Towers and ask themselves. "How did those people back then build those things with such poor technology."

I'm sure most people would be absolutely amazed when I show them how I could make fire with a stick and a board or a rock and piece of iron. That's because they have never seen it done before and don't realize there are other methods to making fire besides a lighter or match. Years ago friction fire or a flint and steel fire wasn't amazing at all, it was how you got a fire started.

Technology breakthroughs and methods are largly relative to the time people are using it. Once we figure out a new method, even if it isn't really any faster than the old, we often abandon and forget about the old methods. There is nothing mystical or magical about stonehenge. We just lost the method they used to history because no records were kept and people moved on or died out. That is why keeping a written history of the past is so important. So many ideas were thought of long ago that got pushed aside and forgotten. Remember when one of the luxery car manufactures came out with headlights that turned with the wheel and hailed it as some big technology and safety break through? That's nothing new, there were cars in the early 30's that had lights that turned. User adjustable air suspension isn't new either, Citroen had it on a production car in the 50's.

I always found it interesting how quickly we forget about the past. There are so many great ideas from just the past hundred years that were so ahead of their time they wern't readily accepted or were too complicated. It took 100 years to put some of them into common use. Now imagine what we could do with a recorded history going back thousands of years. :)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
toXic said:
Aliens....... But seriously, how many people today would it take to lift up those big rock's? Not sure how much they weigh apeice, but if they weigh around 500 lb's a piece, 5 guys could lift them up. How would they lift them up so high? Well, By standing on the rock's they havent put up yet. :rolleyes:
are you stupid, or just.....stupid?

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Im just stupid. Never really looked into stonehenge, becasue i didnt find it all that marvelous. :shrug:

edit- dang, didnt realize how much they actually weighed. the smallest was around 10,000 lb's. They dont look that big in the pictures. :dodgy: And these thing's were probably made almost the same way as the pyramid's were. Or they were made by giants.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
i really enjoyed the video of the man putting up the 19,000 pound stone. thank you for sharing.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
no one really knows for sure how

but its funny how we get amazed at how people centuries ago did things. we think of ourselves as so technologically superior, that we forget that the way we think hasnt changed in millions of years. the people that built the megaliths werent stupid by today's standards.

·
Woohoo
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NYY said:
no one really knows for sure how

but its funny how we get amazed at how people centuries ago did things. we think of ourselves as so technologically superior, that we forget that the way we think hasnt changed in millions of years. the people that built the megaliths werent stupid by today's standards.
This is true, but I just find it cool how people can move such heavy stones without cranes or anything mechanical.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
sittn do you know how they moved the big block's for the pyramid's and probably the stonehenge? It's fairly simple, and complex at the same time. *this is what they thought they did to make a pyramid* They made like a trail/road with a slight incline in it, and put log's under the rock's. And used rope's to pull the rock's and pure man power to push/pull the rock's also. As to how they actually got the rock's to the top of the pyramid....... i have no idea lol.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
DaBluedevil said:
I have no idea how they did it, but I did hear it lines up with a LOT of important sun dates. I think it was their way of telling the seasons and setting up a calender.

Why didn't they just order the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit calendar like everybody else? Dumb pre-historic people. :dodgy:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The answer is pretty obvious. In fact, I thought everyone knew. Chuck Norris (using the time machine he built to stop the JFK assassination) went back in time and erected them by simply roundhouse kicking a mountain. Chuck's precision accuracy and God-like strength caused them to scatter all over the earth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts