Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are they actually called? just street bikes? i get my license next year in march (ill be 17). i personally always thought it would be alot of fun to invest in a streetbike to ride in the summer or on the weekends for fun.

what do i have to do to get a license? it says on the NYS dmv website i can get a permit, but there's no point because no one i know has a bike to ride.

anyway, im just curious as to what the prices are for bikes. im obviously not looking to spend 20,000$ on a hardcore bike, just a small amount on something that at least looks good. any suggestions?

·
Registered
431 Posts
prostock05 said:
Dont get a streetbike dude, someones gonna flame me for this, but i actually like harleys better.
harleys are awesome, but if i had a choice id choose a street bike... harleys are way loud too lol...

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Harleys are gay.

You've got a few options.

Don't go above a 600. 750 or 1000 is way too powerful, hell even 600 packs plenty of power.

I'd probably recomend a Kawasaki Ninja 250 if you've never riden much before.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a Ninja 500 until I got caught up by a gust of wind and tossed into a semi. I would recomend the 500, especially if you are going to be doing any highway miles. The 250 can do it, but you'll be winding her out sick.
check out http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/index.php . There are a lot of us that ride 500s and a decent number of 250 riders.
And no matter what you get, make sure to take MSF, successful completion of that, in most states, along with the DMV written test will get you the motorcycle endorsement on your license. And a nice discount on most insurances.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i told my parents i was serious about getting a license. they don't think im serious and they said that i'm not allowed to anyway. but how much does a used ninja 250 go for? im just looking for something to take out on weekends or like during the summer for fun.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The ninja 250s have been around with basically no changes for around 17 years (I Think, could be a little less, could be a little more), so you could find them from cheap to 2799 for a new 2005 I believe.
From everything I've read about 250s and the few times I've ridden them, they're fun little things.
Just make sure to invest in good gear. Helmet (prefferably SNELL certified), armored jacket (prefferably leather), Good Riding gloves (armored), and riding boots (check SIDIs out. They might be expensive, but they save my ankle from getting shattered in a wreck). Riding pants would also probly be a good idea down the line a little bit.
Hope this helps!
Also, taking the safety (MSF) course first might show them that you are serious about it.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I prefer Shoei and HJC helmets, that's just me.

I wanted to buy a Ninja 250. Had some minor fairing damage and needed new taillights, only wanted $1200 for it and it was a 2001.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I should look into that.

I just wish my parents would let me buy a 250 next summer. My dad dosen't give a **** what I do it's just my mom. I'm thinking maybe since I did horrible this year on grades that if I work my ass off I could get a 250. That could be my motivation.

I mean a 250 is going to be very safe and I'll always wear my helmet and gloves when I ride. I don't really like all the leather and big boots but if I would do any serious riding I would definitly wear that, but for just cruising I would have the gloves and helmet.

I would probably keep the 250 throughout high school, then get a 600. Because you know by then I would have lot's of good experiance and I would be on my own when I have the 600. But for now a 250 would be just fine, they still have a lot of power. They can hit 130mph and can take off from 0-60 in like 5 seconds or something.

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
whats wrong with harleys?? The only gay harley is the sportster. You can make one badass harley with ported and shaved heads, bored out valves, new pistons and connecting rods, crank and cam kit, and a nitrous kit. The only thing is it aint gonna be cheap. Why u guys flame harleys?? you cant compare them to anything. thats like comparing a caddy deville to a dodge viper.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Dude any Sport bike could smoke a harely.

I just don't go for the "I'm better than you and I'm a badass" Plus I rarely see harely riders with helmets, and that pisses me off. Almost every Sport biker I see has a helmet on.

I just like the high pitched high revving sound that sport bikes make. I don't like it when my bike sounds like it's taking a big ****.

Oh and get this. I was bored and got some insurance quotes for a 16 year old to ride with 1 traffic violation.

GSX-R 600 - $1178 per year
Ninja 250R - $577 per year

I thought bikes would be much more expensive for insurance!!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Although I don't exactly dig the Harley's, I like more of the custom bikes. For me, my ideal "harley" bike would have a sissy bar, ape hangers, the whole 'old school' look. I have always thought about getting a bike also. Nothing serious as of now, since I don't even have a drivers license yet, but what would be an ideal bike to start out with? I saw the Ninja 250 was listed but what are some other bikes comparable with that?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts