Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were hit by a lightening storm Sunday that passed uneventful until the end of the storm.... The sky was brightening up and the lightening was long past when all of the sudden *BAM*. Mother nature decided to hit me with one last blast that was close enough that it sounded like a pop and didn't have a gap between the flash and sound. So far I've discovered that my XBOX and computer are both fried. The XBOX flashes red and green (indicating a BIOS fault or something) while my PC doesn't even POST. I bought a new XBOX and can't connect to Live with it for some reason. My Linksys works fine for wireless connections but I think the wired part is fried. I'm hoping that is all the damage but I'm sure there's more to be found. I'd say the worst part is losing all my game saves. I've had the XBOX since launch and had a lot of time spent on KOTOR, Morrowind, and Soul Caliber II. I *might* be able to swap out the drives but it would be tricky to return the old one then. The moral of the story? Keep everything unpluged until you're SURE the entire storm is past!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Or use surge protectors. They have saved my thousands of dollar stereo equipment in my room many times. Tough break man.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Can they really withstand lightening blasts? It would be pretty difficult to surge protect everything since it's such a huge mess of interconnects.... RG6 cable from the satellite dish to Tivos, Video from them going to all the TVs in the house, Phone line from Tivos going to telephones and DSL modem.... Networked XBOX hooked up to TVs ect. It's like everything electronic in my house is hooked up together one way or another even while unplugged from the outlet. I'm surprised that I didn't lose everything!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Alot of the strips (plugs in 1 outlet and has 6 or so plug-ins) have em. I have alot of stuff in my room that I would hate to lose, such as a Pioneer syereo, Kenwood stereo, speakers to them, x-box, PS2, nintendo(yes, an NES), VCR, DVD player, TV, etc. BTW, did it get through the breaker box?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure where it came in but I'm beginning to think it was phone line -> Ethernet related since all three affected things were hooked up in some way to it. The odd thing is that my DSL router was uneffected (As far as I can tell). Maybe has a higher tolerance for voltage fluctuations.

*edit - Thee to Three. I'm not living in the middle ages anymore hehheh*

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I think they have the strip surge protectors with phone lines in 'em. Wouldn't hurt to look into one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts