Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no n00b to computers, but this is starting to annoy me. The idle process is sucking up CPU usage (fluctuating from 70% up to 85%), and I have no other programs open except for the needed ones to sustain windows, the ones for my network, and 4 or 5 from HP to keep my speakers working and stuff like that.

I'd just like to be clued in on whats going on. XP sucks SO much ass its not even funny.

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The light on my tower is flashing and I can hear the hard drive ticking, and I gt an hourglass for some of the time.

I have nothign else but windows and a couple drivers running, adn its doing all this.

And I know for sure I dont have spyware or any viruses. My computer is clean as can be.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
hmm. run scandisk and defrag along with a good drive cleaner to free up some hdd space, it might help cut down on the problem.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Alpha means that his idle SHOULD be at 97-99%, but is only at 70-85%.

There is obviously stuff running in the background. Could be "nice things" like firewalls, or garbage collection. Could be "not nice things" like spyware, adware, virus, worms, etc.
Could just be a bug in Microsoft. XP tends to create "orphans" which are programs that XP was unable to kill, and are still running, even though the system *thinks* they are dead. These then lead to memory leaks, which hog your paging system.

The first step is to obviously run Adaware, S&D and MS-spyware killer. Run them until the system is clean. Then run hijackthis, and clean out the registry. Then run your msconfig, and turn off all the startup aps.
Then try a refrag. This sometimes can fix directory errors that are accidentally creating orphans and memory leaks. Then try reloading system components. (like IE, or whatever you use).
Then after that, there is about a million small things, like graphics acceleration, and driver conflicts.

nick

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I mean my idle is sucking up CPU space.

It should be reading at least under 25 when no programs are running.

Usually it goes from 2-10%.

But sometimes it jumps up to 70+%, adn my computer lags like hell for a little wihle, then it goes away on its own after I run some programs.

My computer is clean as a whistle. Its sparkling. I keep it in top shape. I delete things after I use them, I do a defrag once a month, I run WinFix on Nortons systemworks, I run antivirus, I run adaware and spybot in conjunction.

XP Users. Hit control alt delete right now to bring up the task manager. See how it says CPU Usage down at the bottom. Right now mines fluctuating from 11% to 25%.

Now look in the processes. Click on User Name at the top to sort them by the user name. Look at SYSTEM and find the System Idle Process. How much does yours register> It says its using anywhere from 72-93% of my CPU.

Normally, it is a very low percentage.

I just took a screenshot, let me clean up my room take a piss and ill host it.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
i have the same issue. Though my comp is probably not as clean as alphas, i think i've got some crap running around that nortan is to dumb to pick up.

It will happen at various times, sometimes when i start up, sometimes when a launch a program. Basically whenever i dont' want to idle.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Alpha said:
No I mean my idle is sucking up CPU space.

It should be reading at least under 25 when no programs are running.
system idle process means that its NOT using cpu space... it should be running +95% when no programs are running.

you WANT your system idle process to be as high of a percentage as possible.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
BZ is correct. The "System Idle Process" is not really a process at all.

Its really just a measure of how "free" the processor is. 99% means the processor is practically doing NOTHING, while 0% means the processor is currently maxed out.

Each real process in the list gets a chance to run a small peice of code, then the processor moves to the next item, and so forth. If 20% of the time is used running that code, then the "System Idle Process" will say 80% is still free.

Generally, as long as its above 0%, the computer is not maxed. (ignoring paging, and media issues).
nick

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i know u said u dont have spyware but just incase u do have it, a great little program is hijackthis (no spaces) just look for stuff that is not stuff u reconise. spy ware is actualy real easy to get just from surfing the net. i had a bad case of it before.

·
Retired
4,332 Posts
if you are using only one spyware, one anti virus, and spybot, its not likely that you are as clean as you think. i find free ones every so often and load them just to take out the things the others miss.

for instance, i use McAfee and scan every day, but when i loaded a freware version of AVG, i found 194 viruses that macafee didnt catch. i use 3 spyware programs on a rotation basis, and i use the cleaner (a trojan finder) and im behind 3 firewalls (my server, router, and mcafee) and yet i still have problems. guess i should stay away from the pron sites... but im sure you get the point.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
mcafee sucks.

for freebies use adaware, spybot, AND microsoft anti spyware.

for paid(or bootleg) get webroot spy sweeper, and periodicly run adaware and spybot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts