Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Procrastinating my research paper.. thought I'd make a thread just for fun. I've logged over 100 hours on this car, I can't give up now. I'm not going all out or anything, but I'm definitely going to make this thing move.

Second day I got her.. Previous night I was doing some bull**** pulls. Thing moved, quick. Had an MBC turned up who the hell knows how high. Previous owner said it was broken. Had no boost gauge or anything. Started to get smoke real bad under heavy boost and a little bit at idle. DDed it for a few more weeks, then started pulling the head off.

Fun stuff. Replaced all the gaskets, valve seals, ARP head studs, few other little things. Car wouldn't start. Took me 3 weeks to finally figure out my CAS (Cam Angle Sensor) was dead. Pulled one off of a 1G DSM and made my own wiring harness. Changed some wiring on the ECU for injector firing, car fired right up. A glorious day indeed.

Time goes by and I'm still constantly working on the car, completely restoring it. The windsheild washer tank is in the trunk, leaked and rusted everything pretty bad. Fixed the pumps and leaks and fixed most the rust. Re-did the whole interior, almost looks new. New seats, black accents around the dash and door panels, stock CD player is back in, etc.

What she looks like currently... sort of. I've painted the brake calipers red and painted the wheel wells black. The car also has Halo Projector headlights on it now. They aren't ricey it looks clean, and I only paid $35 for them. Plus I sold my stock modded headlights (painted the inside of them black, clear cornered) for $120 shipped. :tup

Lost all my clutch pressure this week. Bled and lost all my fluid. Turned out to be the slave cylinder. Found out I have a SS clutch line going to it.

Turbo is blown still.. has shaftplay and I'm sure the seal is shot. Smokes under deceleration due to backpressure.

Anyways.. Here's what's in the mail, or is sitting in my garage awaiting installation. Money hasn't been a big issure (yet), time has been a huge issue.

Mods soon to come:
Front Mount Intercooler
Ported and Clipped Evo III Big 16g Turbo
DSMLink V1

Maybe around Christmas time...
550cc or 660cc Injectors
190lph Fuel Pump

Would get a 255, but then I would NEED an AFPR. Meh, lot of work. rollin:

That's about it. I'll keep it updated. For the turbo, it has a jpipe I just need a few random little things. Need intercooler piping though, probably just mount it, route everything with pvc pipe then get real piping welded. Just to avoid using a ton of couplers and t-clamps.

Oh yeah, mods the car already has..

-TRE Rebuilt Transmission
-Stage 3 Clutch
-K&N Filter
-Hard Upper Intercooler Pipe
-1G Blow Off Valve
-Magnaflow Muffler w/ test pipe
-ARP Headstuds
-1G CAS
-Tokico Illumina Shocks
-16" AR Wheels
-Swoosh Boost Gauge
-Turbosmart Manual Boost Controller
-Blitz DCII Electronic Turbo Timer
-Black Widow Alarm System

Ohhh forgot to mention.. ordered a die grinder! Going to do some porting and cutting my o2 housing and welding a dump tube. :tup

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
if your stock turbo is crap and you want one just to have while you're saving for the new one lmk, i know of a couple people that may part with their old ones for cheap or next to nothing...

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if your stock turbo is crap and you want one just to have while you're saving for the new one lmk, i know of a couple people that may part with their old ones for cheap or next to nothing...
I'm buying my 16g on Sunday. Thanks anyways though. :tup

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Evo III 16g should keep you happy for a bit. Good call on the dsm link as well. Go 660s over 550s-you get bored with the 550s real fast.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was asking about HP not boost level. And you'll be driving daily at 18psi? Seems a bit high especially for a problematic car?
How does 18psi daily driven on a tune from DSMLink with a motor that has compression of 170-170-175-170 high? My friend before he sold his was daily driving with 22psi and still had the stock head. I don't think you know anything about these cars or what they are capable of.

As far as numbers it will put down, I have no idea. I'll probably never even dyno it. AWD DSMs, I don't care about numbers, I care about what the car can actually do. I'll take it to the track, but that's probably about it.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 4g63 can hold up to 400hp on a stock head. No cams, valves anything. This is of course, assuming that you have ARP headstuds and an MLS Headgasket. (Cheap and easy to do)

Hell the block has been known to hold 400hp with no problems. There are tons of people who have hit 350-400hp and made 11-second passes on stock motors.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It'll be a while. By the time I get home anymore, it's already pretty much dark out.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got a ton of flourcent lights in the garage, I just don't feel like getting it off jackstands then pushing it in. I'll probably end up doing so though. I've got to put my alternator back in but while I'm down there I might as well get the turbo on.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got my 16g installed tonight. Only took about 5 hours by myself. Dad came out and helped a little bit towards the end. Mainly just mounting the new turbo on the manifold.

Anyways the car sounded great, but I blew my intercooler hose off and barely got it back home. I only have the stock hose which isn't long enough for this turbo, so it's stretched and binded on.. I wouldn't doubt it if I had multiple boost leaks. The car at WOT only hits like.. barely 5psi and doesn't even blow off. Gave up tonight because it's real late and I've got another 8 hour day + more hours cleaning the garage and working out the bugs on this thing.

Buuuutttt... No more smoke!! :D

1 - 20 of 59 Posts