Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres a few martial arts practitioners here... Theres got to be.

From age 7-13 I studied Shorin-Ryu Karate Do and earned the rank of 1st dan (black belt). I quit a few years ago. It was a combination of my instructor going away for a while (he got divorced and was out of it for about a year), and not being able to afford the tuition, but now that I can afford it, I'm going back.

This week I started working out again. I'm not interested in lifting (you'd be suprised what you can do with your body using nothing but yourself).. A lot of pushups, situps, stretching, getting my balance back.

I'm wondering what rank my instructor will want me to start as. Personally, I think I would rather start from the bottom up again... Not sure if anyone has any suggestions.

Anyways, I thought I'd just share what was on my mind... thumup:

·
I'm on your back.
1,882 Posts
9 year Shotokan student here.

You don't use your biceps and triceps to punch, so don't train them extensively, you use your hips and abs to punch.

Abs, abs, abs, core of everything. Situps, crunches, anything to work the stomach.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
7 years Isshin Ryu, brown belt.
I'm taking a break because of a.)Tuition is expensive and b.)College is time consuming & expensive.

Agreed with working the abs. Also work the legs. A lot. Balance and power all stem from the legs. Power does come from the abs, but it goes through the legs first. If you're not planted, you won't punch hard. Think of it like a 1,000HP car with crappy traction.

Keep us updated.

-Jin

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have pretty good form, its just my balance, and speed I need to work on again... 3 years of eating crappy and living unhealthily will do that to you. For balance I'm going to start doing one-legged squats. I used to be able to sit there and just throw out as many kicks as I wanted without any effort. I was quickly going over a kata yesterday and I almost fell on my ass.

I dont know why I left. Martial arts is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

·
NORTHCOAST HARDCORE
6,318 Posts
i train in BJJ and used to train in karate when i was a lot younger. BJJ is WAY WAY more useful for MMA fighting so im sticking with it.

but yea, martial arts of all types is something everyone should get into. i dont really fight much nemore cuz my wrist is all messed up, but it keeps you healthy and balanced

·
Registered
193 Posts
:ninja: Got 7 year of Budo Tijitsu... its really repetative and BORING! but im at brown blet, so i figure it would be really gay to quit now after all this time :dodgy:

·
NORTHCOAST HARDCORE
6,318 Posts
i wanna start doing judo but there is nowhere around here to do it. o wellllllll

·
ShArPeYe
1,271 Posts
Judo 8 years blue belt studying with my instructor and hopefully since no more good ranking players my age study there anymore ill be working with his son international silver medalist and his school and i get in there for free since im really tight with my instructor :)

but good luck alpha its great stuff

·
Supporter
3,646 Posts
Sittin_duk said:
I'm pretty much on the same boat as Jinjiro, tuition, other things getting in the way, so I'm taking a break.

I took Shuri Ryu for a while, earned blue belt, I'll be hoping to start back soon. I loved it.
I've never taken any kind of course in my life.

and I've kicked this guys ass multiple times.
true story.

·
I'm on your back.
1,882 Posts
tippmann666 said:
i am not fit at all. my muscles=suck. i really feel the need to bulk up.
Martial Arts have nothing to do with size or muscular structure, unless the art you practice is heavily biased one way or the other.

For example, Shotokan was started by Okinawans to defend themselves from theives and muggers, which were all to common in Okinawa. Okinawans were generally shorter than the residents of mainland Japan, however, they were almost always more muscular. Hence, Shotokan favors short, stocky, muscular people.

However, I'm tall, muscular but not to a great degree, and I do just fine. Are some things more difficult for than say a short ripped kid? You bet, but that doesn't hold me back any.

Anyways, long story short, don't let fitness or body type stop you from entering the martial arts.

If you're fat, you'll have a harder time, but martial arts will help you lose pounds too.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
sumsimpleracer said:
are you serious? i took 5-6 years of Isshin Ryu and made it to blue belt, mmm from what i remembered one belt below brown
Depends on the dojo. Also, our belt ranks go white-yellow-orange-green-blue-purple-brown-"advanced" brown-black.

Also, I really should be a black belt. I've been doing it for 7 years, but there's been times that I've had to stop for months at a time due to money or school or family things. My skill level is definitely at that of a black belt, I just haven't formally tested for it.

-Jin

1 - 20 of 48 Posts