Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rubbish!
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headline: Land-Mine-Detecting Plants

This January, the Danish company Aresa Biodetection announced that it had produced an unusual new variant of thale-cress, a small flowering weed: a strain that turns red in the presence of land mines. Aresa scientists had genetically modified the weed so that it reacts to nitrogen dioxide, a gas commonly emitted by explosives. A result is a new way to detect mines: sprinkle the seeds over a suspect area, wait a few weeks for the thale-cress to grow and -- presto -- wherever they turn red, you have danger. ''It's much more efficient,'' says Simon Ostergaard, Aresa's C.E.O. ''It's very tedious to clear mines the normal way. You're putting a stick in the ground every three centimeters. One man can sometimes only do two square meters a day.''

·
12,110 Posts
WEll they aren't going to use it for CQB like that picture implies.

This is a great technological achievement.

Look at this.. We go to Aghanistan, and drop a C130-load full of seeds over a mine field. Then, a few weeks later we go in carefully and clear the area of mines. IT could just as well speed the process up.

D

·
0 Posts
dhill0413 said:
Personally i think its cool the things they come up with to use natural things(plants, animals, etc) for brand new uses.
haha yeah, just let a pack of dogs loose on the fields.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts