Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I get the feel from a lot of the posts that in the states the difference between college and university isn't really made.

If some one here were to say that I went to college, I'd definitely correct them and tell them that I go to University. It seems in Canada, or at least in Ontario, the distinction is definitely made. It's much harder to get into a university than it is college and because of that most university students take offense, or at least dont like it when some one says they go to college.

What do you think? Is there a difference made where you live/go to school?

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
I know one main difference is that there are no junior universities, only junior colleges.

My university(U of Dallas) has several colleges within it. The colleges pertain to different areas of study and ultimately different degrees. You go to a university, and then are part of a certain college within that university, at least 4-year institutions.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My university(U of Dallas) has several colleges within it. The colleges pertain to different areas of study and ultimately different degrees. You go to a university, and then are part of a certain college within that university, at least 4-year institutions.
Likewise, UoG has about 7 colleges within it. I'm in the College of Arts. Theres also Ontario Veterinary College, Ontario Agricultural College, College of Biological Science, etc, etc. But I, along with pretty much everyone I've come across, would never consider that because we are in the College of Arts we go to college.

EDIT. I checked some other Universities in Ontario and rather than having colleges within the university they have what they call Faculties.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
I don't feel there's any difference. I don't know of anybody who goes to Purdue university that doesn't say "I go to college"
universities are usually bigger and I think they are state funded. But meh..whatever.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I guess what I'm getting at is just the difference in Ontarian societies perspective on it versus elsewhere. Just something I've noticed and was curious how it's viewed by others.

·
Registered
8 Posts
http://apps.carleton.edu/intl/looking/collegevsuniv/

College or University - what is the difference?

In a global context, the words "college" and "university" can inspire confusion. Different countries use the same words to name different things. What is usually called a "college" in Europe is really more like the two-year institution called a "Community College" in the U.S.

In the United States, when you ask someone what differentiates the two, the first response is likely to be "not much."

How they're basically the same:

* While many factors affect the quality of an institution, the same type of Baccalaureate or Bachelor's degrees can be conferred by both colleges and universities.
* Admission requirements differ according only to selectivity-Highly ranked colleges are often more selective than universities.
* Both colleges and universities can be either privately or publicly operated.
* The phrase "going to college" is used to mean attending any university or college in the U.S.

How they generally differ:

* Colleges tend to be smaller, with smaller class sizes and students receiving more personal attention from faculty.
* Universities offer Masters and Doctorate degrees-requiring completion of the Bachelors degree first.
* Universities tend to be larger, with faculty time and attention divided between research and teaching.
* Some large Universities will have divisions named "The College of Liberal Arts" or the "College of Engineering."

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
* The phrase "going to college" is used to mean attending any university or college in the U.S.
Interesting post.
Yeah see here, if some one asked me if I was heading off to college this fall, I would have said that I was going to university. Which is, from what I've experienced, how most university students would respond. I guess it's kind of a respect thing. Like generally University is regarded as being much harder, so we want to be recognized for that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would say it kind of a slang term here in the US.

To me I don't think education makes the person it only adds to it.

Not to insult anyone but I have met plenty of people who could do things in a classroom but then when they tried to apply it in out in the world they couldn't perform.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
It's already been said, but college and university are pretty synonymous at least where I come from. I didn't really understand the difference until I actually got here, and realized college means the specific field of study. University is the school as a whole.

As for which is more difficult to get into, it seems at least for my school, if you are interested in studying a specific field and have at least a little credentials backing it up (relevant classes, you're application indicating your interests etc.), they'd prefer that over someone with similar grades and test scores but is undeclared. The difference is very minimal though.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
yeah, i got to lock haven university. never really thought about it when i say "i'm going to college" or "I'm at college". just kinda synonamous with post-secondary education.

woah, hey, someone changed my user title. sweet

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
I get the feel from a lot of the posts that in the states the difference between college and university isn't really made.

If some one here were to say that I went to college, I'd definitely correct them and tell them that I go to University. It seems in Canada, or at least in Ontario, the distinction is definitely made. It's much harder to get into a university than it is college and because of that most university students take offense, or at least dont like it when some one says they go to college.

What do you think? Is there a difference made where you live/go to school?
Even though the distinction exists in the US, the two are can be used interchangeably (most of the time).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
RIT also consist of several colleges - 8 to be exact.

We're an "institue", but everyone just refers to it as college. I don't think there is any distinction here.

-Jin
Yeah. In my home town our public high schools were called institutes. They all had ridiculously long names so we just used Acronyms or one of the words. Example, one was SCITS, Sarnia Collegiate Institute and Technical School, but everyone called it scits. Mine was NCIVS. Northern Collegiate Institute and Vocational School. Another was LCCVI.

Speaking of my highschool, I just found this YouTube - NCIVS Class Movie - "Forbidden" This is my highschool. At the 4:07 mark theres a shot down the hall to three people standing by some big windows. I almost broke one of those windows in grade 11 when some guys standing near them threw something at me. I had a big ol' orange and wiped it full out at them and it exploded on the window. Got in a bit of **** for that.

Most of that video was from the the third floor. ****tiest section of the school. The lockers were ****ty and it was also SO hot up there.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
Well-

Here in Florida, we have University of North Florida, University of Florida, University of South Florida, University of Central Florida, Florida State University, and New College of Florida (amongst other private schools like Miami or Flagler). New College only offers Bachelors, so that's probably why it's called New College not New University. However, it's tied with University of Florida for being the best in the state (and I'd say it is, but I'm a tad biased) and is also an "honors college." So, it really doesn't matter whether you go to a University or College here.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
I go to the Pennsylvania State University, which is made up of 13 Colleges. I'm in the college of Liberal arts. Therefore, when people ask me where I go to school I say Penn State. When they ask me what college I go to I should say "Liberal Arts." However, I say Penn State anyway since I know what they meant. Basically, I use College and University interchangeably, most of the time, since most people do. But, I do recognize a college is a smaller entity than a University.

I'm not picky, they'll probably forget where I go to school in 10 minutes anyway.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Weird, I always thought you'd be something like MechE...Liberal Arts, eh?

-Jin
I'm a Crime, Law, And Justice (basically Criminal Justice) and Psychology double major, which falls under LA. I would have loved to do the Engineering thing, but my math skills are piss poor. I would never be able to get through it. So, I went for my other love, Law Enforcement and Criminal Psychology. I love trying to figure out what makes other people tick. It's actually pretty similar when you think about it. Instead of finding and fixing the problem with cars, I do it with people. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts