Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'd much rather not because computer gaming is very expensive. A console is something made to play games with certain specifics to base the games on so they run smoothly, and you do not have to upgrade, if you are gaming on a computer you need new stuff every year, like the 8800 GT was amazing earlier this year and now it's the GTX260 everyone wants, also Dual core and Core2Duo were speedy as heck in the beggining of this year, then quad core came out and people bought that, now i7 is out and you need a new mobo specifically just to use the Intel i7 processors.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The keyword is last year, not everyone will be happy running games from last year. Did you buy it on sale? I built a computer that could run most games on medium settings 2 years ago, then out came some newer games, a few new gfx cards and bam, there is another $200 I would have to spend to keep up with the times to play on high settings. I don't game, I am trying to learn to edit, good thing I have a mac now (got it 2 weeks ago, I recommend them to anyone!)

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
personally i think consol gaming is on the way out, the consols are just very specific computers, so why should I have to buy a new one every couple of years? Id much rather have a computer and a few different controlers
I'd much rather not because computer gaming is very expensive. A console is something made to play games with certain specifics to base the games on so they run smoothly, and you do not have to upgrade, if you are gaming on a computer you need new stuff every year, like the 8800 GT was amazing earlier this year and now it's the GTX260 everyone wants, also Dual core and Core2Duo were speedy as heck in the beggining of this year, then quad core came out and people bought that, now i7 is out and you need a new mobo specifically just to use the Intel i7 processors.
Word...if you think console platforms change dynamically, look at how dynamic the PC industry is. Your stuff won't stay top of the line for more than 6mos-1year. Compared to a console that will be a standard for at least 4-5, if not longer. Also compare a $300-500 console, where a new video alone will cost you $350-400 for the top cards right now.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah

And if you want some of the best graphics cards they will run you 700+ or even for gamers who want less lag, they will want velociraptor hard drives and stuff, it's too hard to keep up with top notch stuff in the pc world, just switch to macs, they'll last you 5 years, then you get a new one, simple as that, I still build and troubleshoot pc's for free for friends though, so I guess I will have to keep on top of what's happening

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts

we had it hard back in the day, didn't we?

atari 2600 was my first system!

one i'm suprised they are missing is the jaguar, anyone have one of those?
i have a jaguar. favorite game is ruiner pinball.

they forgot the intellivision controller :( best system ever. had an intellivision II bck in the day but it fried.
kind of an old systems nut

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
well what martix has done is like you buying a invert mini or PMR, no they are not the top of the line but they definatly serve the porpose that the user intends them to. If you want to run with the best each and every year, in paintball you are going to need to dump 1k on a new marker, with computers you are either going to need a new computer or to heavily upgrade the one you have (granted that analogy isnt perfect but you get the idea), for a lot of us, medium settings on new games are just fine, i dont care to squeeze every last drop of resolution out of every game. and even when compairing consols to computers, both have limits, as newer games come out they push the limit of resolution untill the hardware reaches its limits, in a computer at this point you can offten get a ner video card, for a consol....well too bad, time to buy the next consol. a computers processor can be upgraded, consols not so much (N64 has the exception unless theres another one I dont know of) you can upgrade a computer to suite a game, you can not upgrade a consol to do the same thing. ex: you cant get a PS3 game to work on a PS1, even if they were written in the same code, however I can get my computer from 02 to play a game that came out in 08 just fine.

Not to mention the makers of the consol more offten than not, do not turn a proffit off the consols, they turn profit off the games (from what i was hearing Nintendo did actually turn a profit off the wii and thats the first time its happened since before the N64 was released, i think the PS1 managed it then) so where is the advantage to creating a product that you cant make a profit off of it? yes the consol enables them to turn a profit off of the games but if they knew nobody would buy the next consol, they would start pumping out PC games in a heartbeat.

side note, think microsoft will ever try to make a handheld capable of compeating with the PSP?

i think we need a chart of the evolution of handhelds now......

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well if you think about it, the really tech savvy people, or at least people who can build a computer, if they want to upgrade their comps from 02 to play 08 games, most likely hardly anything will stay the same. A new processor and all that jazz will be needed so you'll be left with an old case haha. And yes, there are always new guns coming out, but paintball guns, if you get good ones, will last a few years, and if the person buying the gun doesn't intend to go hardcore into it he or she will be fine, but when getting a computer, I built my computer 2 years ago, it can hardly run G.R.A.W 2 without lag, and the pixels are the size of a piece of gum. So in 1 or 2 years a new card will literally be NEEDED, not wanted.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts