Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so its been a little while since i got my car, and simple upgrades are no longer really available except for my next one. so far i have:

cold air intake
chopped exhaust :)D)
premium spark plugs and wires switched in

in a couple of weeks i will be installing a stainless steel header from ebay, and after that comes an engine overhaul. were gonna polish the internals, clean everything up, bore the pistons, put new shiz in place of old shiz (everything were replacing im not even sure of yet- its my friend whos the smart guy with the shop) were pretty much rebuilding the whole thing and boring it out in the process.

come summer, i will have saved enough for a hahn 2 stage turbo, which we'll be installing and having lotsa fun with :D

so whadya guys think? anything you'd change about that order and why? oh yea, can anyone explain what a stroker kit does to your engine?

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
a stroker kit increases your displacement by lengthening the stroke (distance the piston travels from TDC to BDC). for example, you can get 331 c.i. from a 302 by stroking and boring it out (boring it out is enlarging the piston diameter and making the cylinder that much wider).

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
from Mustang Monthly
"As its name implies, a stroker is where we increase engine displacement by increasing piston stroke. When we increase stroke, we take the piston deeper in the cylinder bore, which increases displacement. The longer the stroke, the greater the fuel/air charge. Because mechanical advantage or leverage comes with stroke, torque does too. Think of stroke as you would using a breaker bar instead of a ratchet to remove a stubborn bolt. The longer the lever—or stroke—the greater the mechanical advantage.

We can stroke an engine in a number of ways. One way is to offset-grind the crankshaft rod journals, adding some meat at the top of the rod journal, then grinding the journal true again. This adds stroke, even if it’s just 0.020 inch. This might not seem like much, but it can add up to significant displacement increases. Remember, Ford stroked the 289 0.013 inch to achieve 302 ci.

Another way to achieve stroke is to machine a larger crankshaft down to fit a smaller block. The 347ci stroker is designed this way. We take a 351W crankshaft, machine the main journals and counterweights to fit the 289/302 block, and we end up with a 347ci stroker. The same is true for the 408ci stroker from a 351W block. A 400M crankshaft is machined down to fit the 351W block. Stroker kits often go even further, using Chrysler or Chevrolet connecting rods to achieve stroke. Piston wrist-pin height is another means, which calls for the use of custom pistons.

Stroker kits make obtaining displacement a no-brainer, because all you provide is the block—and in many cases, the manufacturer provides the already machined block, making short work of displacement."

·
Registered
833 Posts
Tell you right now......

Stage 2 is good for about 250hp at the crank....

Now for the ultimate power house from the 420A motor under that hood take these things and put into action....

Buy a 2.4L DOHC Motor form a Stratus or PT cruiser, these can be had for anywhere from $0-1000 depending on where and who is selling it.

Second thing you want to do is buy yourself some factory SRT-4 Internals, IE Rods, Pistons, bearings and stuff. My room mate can get me the complete list of the needed parts if your interested and it totals about $500 But the SRT-4 Internals are good up to 400Hp.... give or take.

And there is no need to even use that 2.4 Cyclinder head what so ever. You can use your stock 2.0 head on the 2.4 and have same flow numbers and combustion space. Port and polish your head.

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you say the srt-4 internals are good up to 400 horsepower, do you mean they can handle that much without blowing up, or they can potentially put that much out (which seems like a teensy bit too much..)

if the engine will go in easily, i think we could do it, but if not we decided that changing the entire inside of the car around will be too much of a chore. I think the guys at ASOG said you dont have to change anything around up to a 2.4 though so ill have to double check that and see

oh yea, if i go ahead and get a new header for my current engine, you are saying it will fit the pt cruiser or stratus motor as well? thatd be pretty sweet if they can go together easily

-edit- could i have the list of srt-4 parts? how muych power would they add (if they canb handle, not put out 400)

thanks a lot

·
Registered
833 Posts
to drop in the 2.4 block you need to move one of the motor mounts like 2" or so no biggy easy stuff and a small bit of wiring i think.

The SRT-4 internals have been taking up to 400hp as of right now guys are putting them through the loops constantly to see where they break at and some guys are hitting near 500. 400 is just a safe estimate before you should replace for forged internals.

If you drop in the 2.4 now w/o the turbo you might not see any gains really. If you put your 2.0 head on the 2.4 block the header will work but i would just waiton swapping motors untill you have everything ready and purchased

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea if im gonna do motor stuff, im gonna get everything done while the thing is out of the car because my buddy has to be there to help me with stuff and i dont wanna kill the poor guy's summer

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Nice mod list, but what are your tranny mods? You running an auto or manual? A new clutch, flywheel, and maybe a decent lsd will help, but, imo, you're gonna fry that stock clutch in a heartbeat. If you are running the auto tranny, a torque converter and a shift kit perhaps? But, this is if you do go with the Turbo also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts