Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know, but most probably dont, that we had a bad-a$$ lightning storm last Tuesday in the NorthWest (Seattle area) anyway my block lost power and its been on and off for the last 5 days or so, Ive been making most of my post at work....Well, knowing a tad about elctronic currents and such, I know the possibility of a surge, when the juice comes back. So I shut off all the breakers to the house. Well, along comes my grandpa with a generator that he wants to hook up, so we do the thing and get it set up, and run a hotline into the powerbox in the backyard. NOT knowing my mother had already flipped the breakers ON. So WHAMMMMM!!! as soon as I get about 6 feet from the box, I get a white lightning arc to the cable end and it blows it about 10 feet in the air outa my hand. Everything plugged in that was fuse protected survived except for the Micorwave (exploded completely) and all the lights, thankfully the TV and DVD survived (blown fuses and blow transistors everywhere). Not to mention we had 6 inch fireballs blow out the AC sockets everywhere, and it melted about 500 paintballs in my room.
I called the PUD and they detected a massive 500+ Amp surge in my grid right as it happend. I could have died (happed like 30 minutes ago!!!!)

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
Pics homie.

Actually something like this happened to me. My tv went off and then back on when I was playing halo and I was like what the hell. Then I got out and looked outside cus I heard like a boom and a sizzling and weird crackling noises. So I see a huge thing of electricity flying down the wires, It was like a 20ft blue and white ball. Its pretty damn scary isnt it?

·
Registered
917 Posts
My friend and I were working on his shack about 4 months ago when something like that happened! His little brother turned on the power as we were doing the wiring. We didn't realize this until my friend touched a bare wire. He flew into the pool, literally. I almost s***ted my pants! He did. :D

Always wear rubber gloves when working with bare wiring and a stupid little brother.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uh, my digi camera is annihilated. That little .5 amp slow blow fuse didnt save it, you cant really tell what it was before. Yeah, when I saw the arc I thought it was pretty cool. Once I found out I just had a run in with half a fricking kiloamp...
I was shaking for alittle while.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
b_heald said:
did u get hurt at all?
or are there pics?
Yeah I got some 2nd degree burns where the prong hit my wrist, then flew up and nicked my upper left arm, lol you can see the prong prints on that one. I will try and get pics of that.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
yeah man the northwest was a mess everett around mill creek got hit hard. have you seen the movie 10.5?

·
Registered
923 Posts
man, that would be crazy, i would be flipping out

poor paintballs :(
glad your ok though man, probably came pretty close to getting hurt.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, Ive been in some bad places, but the thing that made this one so intense was the fact it was at your own house ya know? Like, really we arent totally safe standing in our yards, holding a live 8 gauge cable to a generator walking toward a live powerbox when a down and grounded main line half a block away...who would have known that was dangerous???
lol......

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts