Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Mausers give me a hardon. I love weapons of the early and mid 1900s.

Take the Colt 1911 for example. Designed almost a hundred years ago, but its still one of the most trusted pistols in combat.

·
Registered
778 Posts
ComradeMolyneux said:
I figured that, but how old. I have tons of garands, M1903s, M1917s, G-41s and 43s, SVTs, Mausers, etc and those are old. But are we talking like some of my 3 band Enfields, 1860 Springfields, Sharps, and Spencer, etc. old or Brown bess, Kentucky Rifle? Or hell even match locks and bows and arrows?

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
anything before 1960 I would say as old.

anything world war 2 is old. cool stuff.

I really don't have one and wish I did. I was supposed to get my grandpas 1903 but he didn't wanna hand it over.

·
12,110 Posts
M16's were horrible in jungle conditions, until they learned the values of chrome in the reciever. The high humidity caused everythign to swell which is why we hear horror stories of them jamming up and soldiers being slaughtered with nothing more then a chunk of metal in hand to defend.

M14's on the other hand didn't really have the reliability issues the early 16's did, but any gun was threatened by the jungle conditions. Stomping through water and torrential rainfall could cause the round to swell up especially if one was chambered. And when you needed to shoot, you'd get a jam.

Much like why we dont pick up old paintballs and reuse them.

I like the M14 better, but I'd give for even an M16A1.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
Alpha said:
M16's were horrible in jungle conditions, until they learned the values of chrome in the reciever. The high humidity caused everythign to swell which is why we hear horror stories of them jamming up and soldiers being slaughtered with nothing more then a chunk of metal in hand to defend.

M14's on the other hand didn't really have the reliability issues the early 16's did, but any gun was threatened by the jungle conditions. Stomping through water and torrential rainfall could cause the round to swell up especially if one was chambered. And when you needed to shoot, you'd get a jam.

Much like why we dont pick up old paintballs and reuse them.

I like the M14 better, but I'd give for even an M16A1.
it wasnt swelling it was dirt fowling the chamber. I know a ranger that was deployed in vietnam. from what hes said, the ONLY way to keep the damn thing working was to clean it nightly. You ought to hear the guys like him that were over there when the first A1's got issued. they finaly had to ban the use of the ak by american troops. people were picking them up and using them because the m16's were jamming. the ak makes a VERY distinctive sound and troops were getting shot accidently

ill see if i can get the pick of my local gunstores prized possesion. actualy he has two that wualify for that. original armalite ar-15. im talking real vintage ar, no forward assist, no macnemares wix kids got hold of it and f'ed it up crap. he halso has a stoner 69. that gun was just bad ass

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
plus they chambered the m-16 in such a weak round. 5.56 just doesnt have enough punch behind it. i like smaller higher velocity rounds, but crap at least put some weebles behind it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
You're both right. The ammo made at the time used graphite in the powder which gave the ammo the tendency to swell if not kept dry. Plus with the powder recipe it created some very dirty scenarios after a fire fight.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
txaggie08 said:
they finaly had to ban the use of the ak by american troops. people were picking them up and using them because the m16's were jamming. the ak makes a VERY distinctive sound and troops were getting shot accidently
That's what they wanted them to think.

The real reason they were banned was PARTLY due to the noise it makes, but also one other MAJOR reason: SOG teams had been inserting ammunition that would explode when fired through the gun into ammo caches in Cambodia and Laos. Since you never knew when to expect this, you couldn't go around using an AK with comandeered ammo. This is why a lot of infantry patrols would find dead bodies with the bolt in the person's face...not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
damn i love old guns, my main area of interest is WW2 stuff, i have just about every variation of mosin-nagants out there (except some of the finnish ones that cant cost over $1000) a bunch of enfields, mausers, got and old cop shotgun (still need to fix some cosmetic things if i get it to work right), different SKSs(no chinee ones), swiss rifles, swedish stuff(old ****) - most recently a STG-58 Fal type rifle (a mosin sniper is in coming in the mail soon)

for most of them ammo is cheap as hell (but corrosive) so i can shoot all day and not get too broke

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Alpha said:
Mausers give me a hardon. I love weapons of the early and mid 1900s.

Take the Colt 1911 for example. Designed almost a hundred years ago, but its still one of the most trusted pistols in combat.
right with you there alpha.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
david_4x4 said:
You're both right. The ammo made at the time used graphite in the powder which gave the ammo the tendency to swell if not kept dry. Plus with the powder recipe it created some very dirty scenarios after a fire fight.
yeah the ball versus stick debate. it was all directly tied to the lack of achrome plated bore. Macnemera(sp?) was a smart guy, but should have left the gun designing to gun designers.

Ive heard roomers of the "exploding" ammunitio, but never seen any real hard proof. personaly wasting the time and energy to insert jury rigged ammunition, when it was vastly simpler to detonate the entir stock pile, makes absolutly no sense. even for the army...... SOG teams wouldnt have even been capable of carrying enough rounds to make an impact on deaths. They would however be carrying enough explosives to take out large weapons caches. it may have occasionaly happend, but the primary issues were friendly fire.

I also highly doughbt you could pack enough explosives in a 7.62 round to fire an aks bolt into someones face. render the weapon inoprable, yes. possibly kill the individual, yes. but the kaleshnikov is a fairly well built rifle. the likelehood of a bolt firing out the bak is pretty slim

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
Kreator said:
damn i love old guns, my main area of interest is WW2 stuff, i have just about every variation of mosin-nagants out there (except some of the finnish ones that cant cost over $1000) a bunch of enfields, mausers, got and old cop shotgun (still need to fix some cosmetic things if i get it to work right), different SKSs(no chinee ones), swiss rifles, swedish stuff(old ****) - most recently a STG-58 Fal type rifle (a mosin sniper is in coming in the mail soon)

for most of them ammo is cheap as hell (but corrosive) so i can shoot all day and not get too broke
were the hell did you get a fal.......

you dont happen to collect mauser's do you?

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
txaggie08 said:
yeah the ball versus stick debate. it was all directly tied to the lack of achrome plated bore. Macnemera(sp?) was a smart guy, but should have left the gun designing to gun designers.

Ive heard roomers of the "exploding" ammunitio, but never seen any real hard proof. personaly wasting the time and energy to insert jury rigged ammunition, when it was vastly simpler to detonate the entir stock pile, makes absolutly no sense. even for the army...... SOG teams wouldnt have even been capable of carrying enough rounds to make an impact on deaths. They would however be carrying enough explosives to take out large weapons caches. it may have occasionaly happend, but the primary issues were friendly fire.

I also highly doughbt you could pack enough explosives in a 7.62 round to fire an aks bolt into someones face. render the weapon inoprable, yes. possibly kill the individual, yes. but the kaleshnikov is a fairly well built rifle. the likelehood of a bolt firing out the bak is pretty slim
I highly know that it's possible. Very easily possible. There are no explosives in a 7.62 round, chief.

Go out and read the book "SOG: THe Secret War of America's Commandos in Vietnam" and read about the jerry-rigging of AK-47 ammunition.

And yes, they CAN take in enough to make a difference. If you replace half of a weapons cache with faulty ammo, you're damn sure gonna make a difference.

Finally, the AK-47 is NOT A WELL BUILT RIFLE. In fact, it is a horribly cheap and terribly built rifle. What is has going for it is the fact that is has loose tolerances. There's a HUGE difference between well built and loose tolerances.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts