Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will you miss him? I do not think I will really, does not affect me at all. (U.S.)

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
Rumor has it that amoung the possible candidates that are in the running to be a the new pope, one is a South American, the other an African... Could be intereseting. It would be great if the stodgy, conservative, Italian catholics see how the rest of the Catholic Church is in the "real world."

·
Registered
347 Posts
I thought that in the bible, it said that slavery was okay...and therefore an african pope would be kinda funny.

*edit* Sorry...the Bible instructs as to how slaves are to be treated, but does not owtlaw it all together, which is the support for the article that i read which supports what i origionally said. But becasue it doesnt outlaw it does not mean that it supports it, for, it was a social norm for the time the bible was written. Sorry and such...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Stopie said:
I thought that in the bible, it said that slavery was okay...and therefore an african pope would be kinda funny.

*edit* Sorry...the Bible instructs as to how slaves are to be treated, but does not owtlaw it all together, which is the support for the article that i read which supports what i origionally said. But becasue it doesnt outlaw it does not mean that it supports it, for, it was a social norm for the time the bible was written. Sorry and such...
The bible doesn't say anything about a pope at all. It's just one of the many traditions that Catholic church has made

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I also heard they might get a pope from central american (like mexico) and also one from africa since they have just started cathalism, by that i mean like 20-30 years ago. Well thats what I heard from my Sunday school teacher.

Yes, I am sort of effected by it because some people from my family are and since they are effected it effects me therefore i am effected.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
I work at a Catholic church. I was on duty when it happened. You've never seen so many panicked phone calls. I am confirmed in the Catholic church but I wouldn't exactly say I am a Catholic simply because I disagree on principle with organized religion. I feel like it is a great thing for those that need that kind of guidance, but if either you have faith or you don't, I can believe in God in my own way thank you.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ok, I will miss him greatly. To say that you will not is rather.. well.. ignorant. He has played an influential role in many US events. Though you may not know or care. Saying that you don't care about him because you are not a Catholic is a very poor response.

Pope John Paul II was more than the leader of over 1/6 of the world's population (1 billion est.) but an icon and representative for the world. He has played in influential part in sooo many world events. Berlin wall, Cold War, WWII (he was a student then), etc. He was SHOT in the early 80s in St. Peter's square and later went and forgave the man that shot him. He pushed for the lifting of the US embargo on Cuban goods. He has single-handedly negotiated with TERRORIST to free AMERICAN hostages. He had negotiated with MANY terrorists through his time and urged them to free hostages or give up etc.

He gave special care to the youth of the world and always attended the World Youth Days that were held in the US (he missed the latest in Montreal due to him being too weak).

I strongly believe that he was the strongest man in the world. He stood strong on all that he preached. He never faltered at popular opinion.

I don't think that the Cardinals will elect an African pope, though it is possible, due to the ongiong AIDS epidemic there, and Pope John Paul II vistited Africa more than any other place in the world.

He will be missed. But God's will be done. He is back home. Our Holy Father is back home with God.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Tupac once said 'I guess God didn't find no replacement for Tupac yet, soon as God find a replacement for Tupac I'm gone, but until he do I be here doing what he want me to do'.

I guess God found a replacement for John Paul II. Have faith.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
yeah you can be atheist and still appreciate the work that he has done in the world during his time
he was a great guy that fought for great causes, and he will surely be missed forever by everyone

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
As a Catholic and going to a Catholic university, its an interesting time.

News cameras and everything all over campus, getting interviews and stuff.

This weekend at my school was Lazy Faire. Its pretty much a big all day picnic-ish thing. We had a huge slip n slide, bungee run, rock climbing, obstacle courses, snocones, you know that sort of thing. I got interviewed and a question they asked was "Do you think everyone should be having fun at a time like this in the Catholic history?" I responded by saying that the question is ridiculous. We've had many a Pope for the past 2000 years, and we will continue the progression. Its natural and will happen, and though its a shame to see such a great man go, I bet the last thing hed want us to do is cancel an event and mope and mourn.

And they were taking pictures of all the fun stuff going on, i cant wait to see it in the newspaper how bad of Catholics we are. Haha.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
If you believe in heaven, its selfish to mourn someone's death. Why would you want to hold onto them in this world where they are in pain when they could be in a better place.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
NYY said:
yeah you can be atheist and still appreciate the work that he has done in the world during his time
he was a great guy that fought for great causes, and he will surely be missed forever by everyone
thumup:

edit- no I'm not an atheist. I am just agreeing with his statement.

D

·
0 Posts
NoDoz said:
Ok, I will miss him greatly. To say that you will not is rather.. well.. ignorant.
I didn't know em. I'm not gonna miss em'

He did some rad things. But he's just a man.

Besides, he was like 80, what's there to mourn?

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Im not catholic, but he did do great things. This will probably be taken the wrong way, but he was getting old, and very sick. So its sort of a good thing, that they will be a new, healthy pope. And hopefully the new one will do great things also.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
Angered Fists said:
If you believe in heaven, its selfish to mourn someone's death. Why would you want to hold onto them in this world where they are in pain when they could be in a better place.
q f truf

1 - 20 of 56 Posts