Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the prison system is effective the way it is set up now?

I personally do not believe it is. Criminal reform is not possible, in my opinion. The majority of criminals who have committed serious crimes, I believe, will never change. It's a mental thing....a bit of time in a jail cell just makes them more bitter, in my eyes.

I also think that throwing people in jail for drug offenses is retarded. The penalty for the crime should not exceed the damage the drug does. (I believe Ronald Regan said that.) We fill our prisons up with drug offenders, then we have no room for sex offenders, rapists, and other "low end" felons. These people are then walking the streets, raping people and other things like that, but getting let go time after time. I can't believe this is happening.

This is maybe the one thing I'm liberal on...the prison system needs reform.

D

·
0 Posts
the problem is just throwing people in a small cell isnt going to change them.. its a stupid way of dealing with a much more complex problem.. they need counselling and one on one.. but thats too expensive.. so they set them to rot in **** holes for a couple years and huge that the harsh piss ass environment will change them..

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, they do need counselling...but even at that, I'm not sure it's enough just to counsel them.

I think the song by System of A Down called "Prison Song" describes it pretty well.

D

·
0 Posts
yeah the drug offenses thing is a joke.. people getting 9 years and ****.. its a non violent offense.. no way do they deserve such harsh sentences and be forced to live in such **** holes for such lame offenses..

drug laws were all racially based anyways.. ****ing white man.

·
don't drop the soap
3,895 Posts
I believe almost everyone has some sort of good in them, but throwing them in a cell and treating them like they are worthless pieces of **** that are meant to waste their life away in there is most definitlely not going to bring it out in them.

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
Some of them are indeed pieces of human garbage and a waste of skin. Of course the same can be said for many people who are not incarcerated.

The fundamental misunderstanding about the prison system is that it is meant to be punative. This is punishment. It should be the worst thing that can happen to a person or the deterent value is nil. Unfortuneatly, prison is like the finishing school for hardened criminals -- lets give them weights so they can get stronger, and let them associate with other felons who can give them inside contacts for a reprise of thier criminal activities once they are on the "outside."

So what is the solution? Hell if I know. If I did, I would be running the country instead of holding some biker dude's guts in with duct tape...

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MrMacDude said:
What, is that a joke?
Sort of. There aer some decent points in the song. IE that mandatory minimum sentences for drugs should be abolished. Drug USERS have no place in prison. They just take up space that a higher offender should fill.

D

·
0 Posts
not to mention drug users outside of jail are drug users inside.. and inside they dont got the right jacking materials.. hep C is all over prisions, its a serious problem.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
The thing is have the biggest problem with is a life is jail without chance of getting any time out for people. Why???? What could the point possibly be of keeping a criminal in a constricted place when they have nothing to live for and usually dont deserve it? Tax dollars pay for them to waste away for the rest of their life.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Im with you guys on this one, another thing is that inmates on death row are placed higher up on the organ donor list then normal people. So instead of your grandmother getting that lung transplant some gang banger that slaughtered 20 people gets the lungs befor your grandma, and he is going to die in a couple of months/years anyway. Its such a waste of dman money and just doesnt make sense.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
you know why drugs are illegal in the U.S.? the main reason is because they come from other countries, and there is no way to control them. and that means no way to place taxes on them. so basically they are illegal just because the government wouldn't make any money off of it. im sure there are other reasons... but thats the big one. people are going to jail for not paying taxes, not for drug possesion.

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
i think penal colonies are the only way to scare dumbasses enough to deter them from doing the crimes.

you rob a bank and an innocent bystander gets shot, instead of serving 7 years, you get sent to a small island with other inmates. and your there until you die

i sure as hell wouldnt rob a bank if i knew i might end up there, hell i'd be scared to steal a pack of gum. the problem is that our prison system is like a free hotel. sure the food isnt that great, but inmates have it alot better than the million of homeless americans that are dying of hypothermia right now becasue they have to sleep under an old rug in the forest, or in some innercity alley.

its brutal, but it would work

·
Free Ballin
3,182 Posts
paintthecatBLUE said:
you know why drugs are illegal in the U.S.? the main reason is because they come from other countries, and there is no way to control them. and that means no way to place taxes on them. so basically they are illegal just because the government wouldn't make any money off of it. im sure there are other reasons... but thats the big one. people are going to jail for not paying taxes, not for drug possesion.
You poor misguided little boy....

Drugs are illegal in the US because they affect the way you think and perceive.

Cofee comes from other contries, why is that legal? Of course the US has a tariff(tax) on cofee, as well as tons of other items. We could just as easily do it with drugs.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
I work in a church. One time a homeless guy came in and asked me to report him for committing a crime so he could go to jail for the night to stay warm. I don't think that's the point of jail.

·
Banned
7 Posts
MedicDVG said:
Some of them are indeed pieces of human garbage and a waste of skin. Of course the same can be said for many people who are not incarcerated.

The fundamental misunderstanding about the prison system is that it is meant to be punative. This is punishment. It should be the worst thing that can happen to a person or the deterent value is nil. Unfortuneatly, prison is like the finishing school for hardened criminals -- lets give them weights so they can get stronger, and let them associate with other felons who can give them inside contacts for a reprise of thier criminal activities once they are on the "outside."

So what is the solution? Hell if I know. If I did, I would be running the country instead of holding some biker dude's guts in with duct tape...
If I wasn't your evil twin I'd resent you.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
First off after I think its really retarded to get drug offenders since they are lower level crimes. I personally think all drugs should be legal. If some one wants to do lsd then fine I dont care I wont do it but if a junkie wants to then by god let him. Of course if it is legalised then it would be commercialized like ciggerettes and beer. To be made in a regulated and safer enviroment (ie bootleg vodka vs skyy vodka). So im sure if all drugs were legal they would be made by companies rather then druggies. So no more dealers. And we wont have to pay up 20K per drug offender in jail. Plus if you all agree that hard drugs should be illegal I can see your point. But weed should be legal. Just because no one ever died from it and no one ever will. And its the least toxic drug out of all hard drugs, alchohol, and ciggs. Its just a safer thing to do.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts