Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
I think it looks kinda gay. I know the dialogue matches the comics, but I can't stand it.

Valkyrie would be good if Tom Cruise wasn't in it. I can't watch a movies with him in them any more.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Valkyrie would be good if Tom Cruise wasn't in it. I can't watch a movies with him in them any more.
Same here, I can't stand him. But I really want to see it. I go to maybe 2 movies in theatres each year (exception: The Dark Knight, which I saw 3 times), and Valkyrie won't be one of them. I'll wait till it's out on DVD. Probably the same for The Spirit.

-Jin

·
i haz teh titties
199 Posts
I never saw Sin City, which it looks very similar to, so im not sure how good a movie set in its filmstyle can be.
The Spirit was actually directed by Frank Miller, Sin City by Robert Rodriguez. I'm excited to see it nonetheless.

Sin City :tup

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
i thought sin city was co-directed by miller as well? mebbe he was just a figurehead...

anyways, I'm kinda interested in seeing the Spirit, but I don't think it'll hold a candle to The Watchmen. Kinda like a movie to fill the void between The Dark Knight and The Watchmen. Not great, but gets the job done.

·
i haz teh titties
199 Posts
for some reason I thought frank miller did a guest directing thing like tarantino....

my bad.

·
That's Hot
3,914 Posts
I second the opinion that it looks gay. The first time I saw a preview for it I was depressed since I knew it would be overhyped and would see it in the preview of every movie I went to see in theaters until it came out.

The visual style looks cool, sure, but the thing that turns me off to both The Spirit and Watchmen is that everyone is touting it like the best thing since sliced bread. It is extremely annoying when they market it as something everyone in America knows about, when really the amount of people that actually read graphic novels and know what they're talking about is very very very small.

Watchmen looks cooler, yes, but I won't be going to see either of them. I'm tired of fringe comic book films, enough is enough.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Agreed with Duo. Batman, Spiderman, ok, they are big names. But all these fringe, obscure (but not horrible) graphic novel/comic books are very hit and miss. I liked the Punisher (not exactly fringe, but not the most well known either) but the sequel looks gay. The Spirit seems a bit too overhyped, but i'll give it a shot. It becomes a problem when they try to force too much action, too much overly complicated storyline into one movie. Especially ones where, unless you are a huge fan of the comic books, it is hard to follow who is who and what is what.

IE, everyone knows the Green Goblin, Doc Oc, The Joker, Venom, Dr. Doom, Lex Luther, etc, but who can tell me off the top of their head who the villians are in the watchmen? the spirit? The background just isn't there, so unless the movie itself spells the characters and their personalities out very carefully, you never get a good feel for the bad guys beyond "Ok, that's the bad guy with the gun, who the good guy has to take out. Gotcha."

It's the difference between a good movie and a great movie.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
hey, i can't say i like the guy outside of cinema, but i have to admit i really do like him as an actor (collateral, MI:1&3, rain main, last samurai, etc...). haven't seen valkyrie, but i will be soon.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
I dont mind Tom Cruise
i didnt used to mind him, top gun and days of glory really stick out in my mind as some of his better works, but i think once he got some power he wanted the camera on him more, look at MI3, on the cover of the movie his name is bigger than the title and theres maybe a 30 second span in the movie that he is not in front of the camera

i think his acting has gotten worse

heres a theory, for white guys, as they get more money, their ability as an actor decreases, but for a black guy, as they get more money their acting skills increase

tom cruise and will smith work for this theory

......as does michel jackson

he was doing pretty good, then he turned white......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts