Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

461 - 480 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
pump

Hey Im looking at getting a pump paintball marker but I am looking for a beginner one that is cheap but has good performance I know this is had to find a marker thats cheap and good but im just looking for any recommendations? I have played paintball for about two years altogether but stopped a little while ago.

·
Registered
33 Posts
so, I've been looking atapossible marker upgrade and just have the E1 as a backup, and i'm liking the Gtek, and the etek. but what I don't like about the etek5..it seems to lob paint, which can be useful, but the dropdown isn't really something I like, the Gtek seems to maintain a straight line, which is more of my style, and IMO is more accurate. my budget to upgrade is a long ways away still however, but looking at some of your guys opinions.

also the GTEK seems ALOT more efficient then the E1 which I killed my 48/3k tank on about 250-300 balls.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm just going off what I visually saw for the trajectory thing. But the main thing I'm looking at is efficiency per tank. The do IMO doesn't have it. But I would have to hook up same tank same fill to compare.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
there is no difference in trajectory, chances are whichever etek you had had just been turned down a bit more than the gtek. same paint leaving the same barrel at the same speed is going to fly, the same. if a paintball leaves a barrel at 285 fps it doesnt matter how it got up to that speed, after it leaves the barrel (without spin) gravity and air resistance take over after that so chances are you had an etek shooting at some lower speed than the gtek if you noticed a difference in how the paint was flying

·
Registered
33 Posts
that is entirely possible.

although to bring up something else, what is a lot of players deals with glass reinforced composite frames?

I mean if it is done to the same grade as military composite lower and/or upper receivers I really don't see a problem with them as they are lighter and strength wise easily comparable to their aluminum counterparts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
well.. it is a cheaper method of manufacturing, and it really technically is plastic.. but if the process is the same as I mentioned, it's just as strong.. although I wonder why they don't use a carbon fiber composite instead..

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
well.. it is a cheaper method of manufacturing, and it really technically is plastic.. but if the process is the same as I mentioned, it's just as strong.. although I wonder why they don't use a carbon fiber composite instead..
Cost. Carbon Fibre is expensive. Most of the markers that offer GRN are lower priced.

·
Registered
33 Posts
maybe if it is layered CF like you see on a lot of carbon fiber stuff, but CF reinforced composite just uses CF fibers, similar to the fiber glass strands, it actually isn't all that expensive.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #474 (Edited)
Cf reinforced composite now you are mixing materials and increasing production times. Composites are not a bad option IF they are done right but that isn't always the case. I like aluminum because it leaves the option open for doing custom drilling and other work. As nice as some of the other options can be, you can't thread them and have them hold any kind of weight like a tank

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cf reinforced composite now you are mixing materials and increasing production times. Composites are not a bad option IF they are done right but that isn't always the case. I like aluminum because it leaves the option open for doing custom drilling and other work. As nice as some of the other options can be, you can't thread them and have them hold any kind of weight like a tank
they are already mixing a fiberglass into the composite, so how would this increase production time if you replace the fiberglass reinforcement with CF?

·
Registered
33 Posts
you can't just throw CF into a mix and claim it will be stronger. i'm pretty sure there's some processing involved. i've never seen anything made of carbon that wasn't woven in some extent
look up AR composite lowers, specifically look for broken ones, you'll see the fibers aren't woven, they are finite, and dispersed. when they first came out, there where issues.

all ar lowers that are composite are carbon fiber reinforced.

and yes you can get loose batch carbon fiber, similar to glass reinforced body filler, it is not woven, just a lot of loose hairs.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Woven CF is stronger than just the fibers, obviously. CF's strength is also a bit of a fallacy. Everybody throws out that it is as strong as steel/aluminum. The issue is steel is strong no matter what, while CF has directional strength. It may be strong length wise, but not side to side, etc...

There are certain situations that CF will outperform/be stronger than metal, but situations like AR-15 lowers you need to stick to the metal. At least until they do a lot more research, even the new better built composite lowers are having issues.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #479
they are already mixing a fiberglass into the composite, so how would this increase production time if you replace the fiberglass reinforcement with CF?
Because producing cf is a much more involved process than fiberglass, in order to get all of the impurities out there are some fairly complicated heating and cooling processes involved. Fiberglass does not need any of this.

Even if you do all this at a good price you still have to deal with issues such as how to bolt a ASA to the bottom of this composite grip frame, aluminum frames don't have this issue, Tap some threads in and be done, many of the composites need metal inserts glued in to accept threads, just more parts and time that aluminum doesn't need

·
Registered
33 Posts
you really think they would produce the cf in house rather then source it from a company that manufactures it large scale?

either way, I have little issues with compsoites, fiberglass, or CF, they are used in many handgun receivers nowadays with no known large scale failure.. unlike the rifle platforms..

461 - 480 of 507 Posts