Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So: the problem, no PC, no BS:

Mexicans who dont speak english come in illegally and do stuff for dirt cheap.

Solution: Open arms doctrine

30 foot high 2 foot thick brick wall around the southern border. And gates at every major roadway.

If someone comes to America from mexico and wants to have a life in america, excellent. Welcome to the country, brother.

We're going to give you a job working on one of our government run marijuana plantations. You'll be given a wage that respects the state minimum wage laws. You cant get a US drivers license, thats for US citizens.

Freedom, is of course not free my friend. As a result, you have 6 months to pass a basic english exam (an exam that ALL foreign non english speaking people must pass). That's right. We finally put it on paper. English is officially the official language of America. You still have the freedom, and right to speak any other language you want, as long as you understand that in order for a society to work, it must communicate through a common language.

Once you've passed the exam, you can get a drivers license.

In 4 years, you will take the citizenship exam, and you will become an official US citizen.

As for the legalization of marijuana, it will bring in tons of money. The government grows, and distributes it. You can pick up novelty papers at post offices right with your stamps! Non-US grown marijuana is illegal. The same laws for drinking are changed to include smoking ganja. States can make up their own laws to restrict or loosen posession of marijuana. Sort of like the gun laws.

Because the immigrants are now becomming legal, and better programs are set up for them to get jobs that pay as much as normal citizens, AND since they are just about forced to learn english or force deportation, its actually possible to communicate with them.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
why is english a mandatory language?
you know english isnt even the dominant lanugage in the US?

society has worked and communicated for thousands of years using multiple languages, thats being lazy on our part for no accepting other people's cultures.. you cant sit there and say 'dont speak english? too bad.' people come from other countries, they are born speaking the native language there, and if they want to come here, well they dont HAVE to be english speaking..

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
ja289 said:

society has worked and communicated for thousands of years using multiple languages, thats being lazy on our part for no accepting other people's cultures.. you cant sit there and say 'dont speak english? too bad.' people come from other countries, they are born speaking the native language there, and if they want to come here, well they dont HAVE to be english speaking..

See, theres the part i agree with alpha on. (the bold) It's not lazy for us to not learn their language. Their coming HERE, Most stuff is in english. So, we have no reason to learn their language. UNLESS, we plan to go and visit their country. Then, we shouldnt complain about not being able to communicate with them.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
ja289 said:
Show me proof. I highly doubt that since mostly everywhere you go people are speaking english. It might not be everybodies first language but almost everybody knows it.

We definately need to do something. In california they keep wanting to give the illegal immigrants more rights and priviledges, which just keeps drawing more and more of them here.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
spanish has actually been proven to be the most spoken language in the US. alright, you have ALOT of spanish-speaking immigrants, and on top of that, spanish is the majority of second-spoken languages. it adds up, i mean, i guess dominant is stressing it a bit far, but english isnt going to be the main language, it isnt even right now when you think about it. you go to the ATM, you get english and spanish.

and you're not looking at their perspective... america is a land of freedom and opportunity. if i was coming from a country where i was oppressed by the government, why would i go to america if it was just as hard to live there? just because i wasnt born in the country requires me to go through 'tests' conducted by the government so i can be like everyone else? im sorry but that makes no sense.

·
PbF Supporter
4,738 Posts
But see look through it thru our eyes. If we go to Mexico we can't expect them to learn English so they can communicate with us, they will expect us to know Spanish or we're screwed.

The other day I went in US BANK and all of the signs were printed with large font Spanish, they didn't even have English subtitles on the signs, I walked right back out the door and never came back, I was so pissed off.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
ja289 said:
spanish has actually been proven to be the most spoken language in the US.
im sorry i dont really believe that...think of how many states have a big spanish population, cali, arizona, new mexico, texas, florida, and new york...(those are the main ones i can think of right now) and then think of the rest of the country...that doesnt add up. in some northern states like minnesota or idaho, english speakers probably outnumber spanish main speakers 1000:1 or more...im not going on fact here, but that just doesnt seem likely, and i have lived in california...and yes there are many hispanics...i will find an actual percentage right now

edit: just went to some census site and this is the projection of whites and hispanics in 2000

White persons, not of Hispanic/Latino origin, percent, 2000 69.1%

Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2000 (b) 12.5%

theres no way they could have gotten that many latinos in the country since then.

·
Registered
423 Posts
ja289 said:

Lol shut the hell up. English is most definitely the dominant language in the US and if people want to have a better life here they should have to learn it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
ja289 said:

Fine. Then if I ever go to mexico, they better damn well learn English, or else they are lazy. Makes perfect sense. :dodgy:

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
I cannot stand illegal immigrants.

HOWEVER, Ja289 is right. There is NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE for the United States of America. It is NOT English, it is NOT Spanish. We have no official language. That is a fact.

So therefore while it is very beneficial to the immigrants to learn to speak English if they want to be successful, it should NOT be required. It should be suggested, but if they don't want to learn it, who cares. That's the whole point of freedom in the US.

Now this does not mean I support illegals. I think illegals should have no rights at all. They are criminals from another country. If they want to go through the process and become a citizen like the rest of us, fine. Otherwise, stay the hell out.

-Jinjiro

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jinjiro said:
Now this does not mean I support illegals. I think illegals should have no rights at all. They are criminals from another country. If they want to go through the process and become a citizen like the rest of us, fine. Otherwise, stay the hell out.

-Jinjiro
I agree whole heartedly. I am just proposing that you make it so they want to become legal, and so they dont have to take $.10/hr jobs (taking away from the legal economy)

Plus, the legalization of gov't grown marijuana would pay for so much. They can even make their own strains such as "Uncle Sams" and "Purple sticky Dubbya"

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
Jinjiro said:
I cannot stand illegal immigrants.

HOWEVER, Ja289 is right. There is NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE for the United States of America. It is NOT English, it is NOT Spanish. We have no official language. That is a fact.

So therefore while it is very beneficial to the immigrants to learn to speak English if they want to be successful, it should NOT be required. It should be suggested, but if they don't want to learn it, who cares. That's the whole point of freedom in the US.

-Jinjiro
So are you willing to go out in to the fields of central California and pick crops for not even half minimum wage? Would you be willing to clean hotel rooms in Southern California for truely a fraction of what any citizen would make? I think not. Do not misunderstand me, I do not think illegal immigrants should be given the same rights as US citizens. In fact, California government trying to pass legislation that allows them driving priveledges pisses me off. And I do think that immigrants should be forced to learn english.....it IS the predominant language in this country. However i dont think you should make such a broad statement as to tell them to "get the hell out". Many are just looking for a better life. Have you been to Mexico? It is 3rd world in many places(actually most places other than resort cities). They are willing to take tedeous, back-breaking, and low paying jobs that Americans dont want. I will give you that they should do the right thing and obtain a work visa through our government. However, any one that has had to deal with our govt. (IRS, DMV, etc) knows that it can be an incredible hassle. I dont know about everyone else, but most people fail to see what America would be without these people. $4-5 for a single piece of fruit because an american citizen would want a higher wage, workers comp insurance, and overtime pay if the worked for more than 6 hours without a break.

·
Registered
100 Posts
at first I thought alpha had an idea to STOP the immigrants. However when reading through I REALLY like this idea of growing weed and let then join SLOWLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Pce

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
I want them to speak english. Our families learned it eventually once they were here, why the hell should it be different now?

How about this one...

One of the guys I worked with over the summer has a Japanese wife. She was told she had to pass some english language test to be able to take her 'written' (its on a computer) drivers exam. She does so, and when she sits down at the computer the first question it asks her is "please select spanish or english". Now what the hell is that?

Now for the part I don't agree on due to personal reasons, Why don't we have them grow poppies or cook crack as well? Get outta here with the drugs already.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I knwo if the US would jsut legalize crackcocaine marijuana and other stuff and just tax the hell outta it then we would be richer and maybe we can pay off taht 8 billion in debt?!?!?!?! Why won't the US help us get outta debt I bet theres at least $25,000 worth of cocaine sold in a day. So work with me theres 365 days in a year and 365*25000=$9,125,000 worth of cocaine sold in a year. LEts say we put a simple 8% tax on it to import it ($730,000) and another 8% to sell it @ drug stores and things ($730,000) in total that would mean that the government would make $1,460,000 in a year. this could slowly chip away at the US's debt and then if thats not enough for the feds then they can have mroe taxes.

-Pce

·
Registered
462 Posts
ja289 said:

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/multilingual1.html

1 - 20 of 84 Posts