Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone into theatre? Whether you act, do tech, or just enjoy going to them. What's some of your favorites?

I am the technical director for my school, so I'm obviously pretty into theatre. My favorite plays are basically anything Shakespeare, and my favorite musicals are anything by Stephen Sondheim (Into The Woods, Merrily We Roll Along, etc).

-Jin

·
PBF's oldest newb
1,618 Posts
i was on crew last yearwhich was the best time ever. i was doing fly(which if you know the crew stuff you konw what that is, everyone else, its moving the backdrops) and we have our fly ropes up in a loft. so the 4 of us up there had fun sitting around and singing the songs, and making fun or the actors. the best part was building the set, we did "anything goes" which is about a boat cruise, so we built the top half of the boat.
Sadly i graduated last year, so i cant do the actual crew this year, but im goin to be helping build the set again. We're doing "Beauty and the Beast" and we have to build a giant rotating castle set, one sid will be the outside, and oneside will be the inside.

I was also in the pit band in 8th grade, we did "the truth about cinderella" i actually would have had a part in the 7th grade play but my parents wouldnt let me because of grades, I was going to be "Cowboy Number 1" in "how the west was fun" lol

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
My specialty is lights, so for our drama production I set up the lighting design. For our musical I am Spotlight Technical director as well. In fact yesterday was the last day of the drama, we did Rumors by Neil Simon.

Here was our set during construction:

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
im not too much into theater but i enjoy a good play once and a while

Two Rooms
Blythe spirit
guys and dolls

those are just a few good ones my school has put on

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
i accidently got put into a theater tech class, but its an easy a, and i got some of my friends to get into it with me, so i stayed in

oficcially, im like the co-carpender person, but i dont do anything, we just sit and play around

met alot of cool people, so im really happy i stayed in the class.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
i did stagecrew in middle school in 6th and 7th grade, and in 8th grade i did spotlights. great times, we would hang out in the dark, trip over htings, bleed, i still have a scar. i did 'the pajama game'-sucked, Big- REALLY good, and footloose-ok. i didnt do crew last year, but i might do it this year for fun, its justthat the nerdy/goth kids do it so i'd rather avoid that... no really, trust me these kids are huge nerds. not implying anything about you guys though.

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
yeah, thats why i was pissed at the beginning of the year, i looked around and noticed i was ina class full of people i had allways assumed were dorks

but after getting to know some of them, their some of the nicest and most accepting group of peeople in teh schol and im happy to be friends with em (but tehre is some really messed up and freaky kids in "drama", like theres this one kid who sits in his seat and like growls all period), but there's only a few messed up people like that

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, I really want to get pics of my set up. We're doing A Midsummer Night's Dream, and the set is spectacular, if I do say so myself. It's hard to explain, but let me point out a few of the highlights:

1.)Raised platforms on most of the stage (3' - 5')
2.)An actual running waterfall (about 5' high)
3.)Trapdoor that leads to a lair/cave which can only be seen when lit up
4.)Long ramp leading up to the 3' platforms
5.)Rock-like steps leading up to the 5' platforms
6.)Fog machine that is hooked into a duct system that goes basically all across the stage (can't be seen, though)
7.)A rope swing hanging from the rafters 60' above which Puck swings in on
8.)Really awesome lighting, with lots of blue and purple.

I designed/built/worked on 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7.
I gotta get pics. =(

-Jin

·
Registered
905 Posts
you should have seen our set for Blythe Spirit. it looked great and mechanically it was amazing. at the end of the play the whole set pretty much destroyes it's self. its kinda hard to explain, you had too see it

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ninja7 said:
you should have seen our set for Blythe Spirit. it looked great and mechanically it was amazing. at the end of the play the whole set pretty much destroyes it's self. its kinda hard to explain, you had too see it
Cool, that sounds like it took some thought. At the end of Midsummer, when Puck does the monologue about how everything was a dream, we fly out ALL the flies, legs, curtains, scrims, backdrops, etc at the same time. It looks pretty cool.

Oh and that reminds me of another cool thing that my director did when he was on crew for Midsummer at some other theatre. The set took only 30 min to set up, so all the crew wore matching outfits, and stood on the front of the stage with their arms crossed. When the house opened 30 minutes before the play, they began building the set. So basically the audience who had arrived got to watch the set being built. Pretty cool I thought.

-Jin

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
inkjt510 said:
I've acted a bit at my community theater. I haven't done anything for my school recently because their plays suck ass.
Yea, that is the case 90% of the time with school plays. I do have to say though that ours are usually pretty good, as everyone puts an insane amount of time into them. I personally had around 30 hours put into building the set for the drama this year and I wasn't there even close to the amount of time a few other people were there working, the drama isn't usually our big production either. Everyone wanted this one to be real good though because Ann Hathaway (from the Princess Diarys) was coming to watch it since her brother was in it, her father helped with the lighting, and her mother was an acting coach. Apparently she also acted in our productions years back so she wanted to see everyone.

·
PBF's oldest newb
1,618 Posts
oh god, flying all the flys, that must be death. thier not all super heavy, but the the ones that are heavey are reallyin f***ing heavy. last year we had to "bounce" the grand red at the end of the show, bring it down and then bring it back up imeadiatly afterwards. it took me and my freind, both of us are pretty good sized, to do it.

out of curiosity, do you guys keep tallies of "kills," as in how many people you each have hit with the flys? dont think that we're sick or anything, only the ones with soft batoning at the bottem. and we dont try to hit them, but we move preet fast, and the actors gotta know when to move. the learn quick, lol

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dooms - Yeah, our school is also one of the few highschools with actual good productions. I am not sure how much time I put into it, but I would not be suprised if it was close to 200 hours or more. This week alone I will be putting in about 50 hours (this is the week of the play). I've been working on this play since September, so yeah, well over 200 hours. It's crazy...

DFD - We don't ever actually get to hit the actors, though we often want to, plan it out, yell at them, harass them, etc etc. It's a lot of fun. Oh yeah, and maybe you guys should get your flies inspected. They're probably just old or something, but unless they're weighted wrong, they shouldn't be too hard to move.

-Jin

·
PBF's oldest newb
1,618 Posts
yeah, thier old and crappy, they got better once we tightned the ropes up a bit they got better, but grand red is just super heavy, same with the grand gold(the two that are used as the main curtains) no matter how many stage wieghts we use, its still super heavy. ill try to take pictures of the tower of wieghts we have on this thing, if and when im back up in the loft in the next month or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts