Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently been attracted to getting a Supermoto bike, rather than a sportbike. The particular one I'm looking at is the Suzuki DR-Z400SM

Basically a dirtbike-turned-streetbike, it has about a foot of suspension travel, 17" wheels, and a 400cc single-cylinder 4-stroke motor making 34hp. Doesn't sound like much, but the bike only weighs 315lbs :D

The main reason I'm considering one is $$$. A brand spankin new one can be had for ~$6200. Full coverage insurance is ~$1400/yr. That's just more than minimum coverage for my YZF was. And the DRZ+insurance is less than a new ZX-6R would be. Not to mention the ~$4000/yr full coverage insurance =( The DRZ gets around 60mpg as well. Because of its suspension setup, it can be taken off road if so desired.

Oh, and if you've never seen one of these bikes in action, take a look at this
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-822536574984796714&q=supermoto+drz&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8462378466997568582&q=supermoto&hl=en

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Z PYRO said:
and a 400cc single-cylinder 4-stroke motor making 34hp. Doesn't sound like much, but the bike only weighs 315lbs :D
34HP? Are you sure? My 250cc 4-stroke is putting out 50HP. Granted it's been worked over a bit, such as a high compression piston, but I would think that engine is capable of well over 34HP.

-Jin

·
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jinjiro said:
34HP? Are you sure? My 250cc 4-stroke is putting out 50HP. Granted it's been worked over a bit, such as a high compression piston, but I would think that engine is capable of well over 34HP.

-Jin
have you actually dynoed 50hp? And you can modify the 400 to get 50+, but from what i've read it's 34 stock

·
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dual sports (and enduros) are more dirt oriented. the supermoto is more street oriented. since I do more street riding and the occasional off-road, the moto would be better for me. it has the 17" wheels with sport tires, compared to the dual sports which have 21" dirt wheels/knobby tires. and I could buy dirt wheels/tires for the moto if I wanted to

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Z PYRO said:
have you actually dynoed 50hp? And you can modify the 400 to get 50+, but from what i've read it's 34 stock

Dyno sheet from Wes Hastings Racing.
Peak HP: 49.1
Peak Torque: 113
Mods: Wiseco High Compression Piston, White Brothers exhaust, ported head.

-Jin

·
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1337 said:
Not a huge fan of those.. I say stick to a sportbike.
pay my $5,000 a year for insurance and I will thumup:
and besides, when you learn how to ride these things right you can whoop on sportbikes in tight twisties all day long. and these things are wheelie monsters (as you can tell from the vids) and can be ridden off road if so desired. sure they won't go 150mph but when the hell do you need to do that?

Anyways, I've since been swayed from the DRZ. I've discovered the KTM Duke II 640. 625cc, still single cylinder 4 stroke, but 20hp more and not that much more weight. they can be modded to make 70+hp for less than $1k

early 00's go for ~4-5k. full coverage insurance is 872/yr. so for ~5-6k I have a damned good bike that can be dropped over and over with no ill effects, has more than enough power/weight to get me around town, can be modded to have even MORE power/weight to have fun with, is decent on gas, completely insured, can be taken to the twisties and then some (I've seen dirt roads that looked fun as hell but were impossible to navigate on my bike), can be wheelied forever, can stoppie with little effort, light as hell, VERY unique (I've never seen a Duke on the streets here)....need I say more?

when I have a decent income I'll probably get another sportbike. that zx-6r will be much, much cheaper then (and so will my insurance)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Z PYRO said:
pay my $5,000 a year for insurance and I will thumup:
and besides, when you learn how to ride these things right you can whoop on sportbikes in tight twisties all day long. and these things are wheelie monsters (as you can tell from the vids) and can be ridden off road if so desired. sure they won't go 150mph but when the hell do you need to do that?

Anyways, I've since been swayed from the DRZ. I've discovered the KTM Duke II 640. 625cc, still single cylinder 4 stroke, but 20hp more and not that much more weight. they can be modded to make 70+hp for less than $1k

early 00's go for ~4-5k. full coverage insurance is 872/yr. so for ~5-6k I have a damned good bike that can be dropped over and over with no ill effects, has more than enough power/weight to get me around town, can be modded to have even MORE power/weight to have fun with, is decent on gas, completely insured, can be taken to the twisties and then some (I've seen dirt roads that looked fun as hell but were impossible to navigate on my bike), can be wheelied forever, can stoppie with little effort, light as hell, VERY unique (I've never seen a Duke on the streets here)....need I say more?

when I have a decent income I'll probably get another sportbike. that zx-6r will be much, much cheaper then (and so will my insurance)
cool, that looks like an excellent choice. ive always liked the ktm's. also notice the chain is on the right side. :p

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Why is your insurance so expensive for a 600? Hell I got a quote from Progessive for a GSXR600 for $1300 a year. It's about the same as my car insurance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts