Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I'm on your back.
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air Force Capt. Joseph W. Kittinger Jr.

On August 16th, 1960, as a part of the Air Force research program (Project Excelsior), Air Force Capt. Joseph W. Kittinger Jr. stepped off a platform raised to 102,800 feet over Tularosa, New Mexico by a high-altitude balloon. From there he could see the blackness of space and the curvature of the planet.

The Air Force program was designed to investigate the use of a parachute for escape from a space capsule or high-altitude aircraft. To survive the altitude Kittinger wore a pressure suit like those for astronauts.

After 4 minutes, 36 seconds of free fall Kittinger reached a speed of 714 mph (becoming the only human to break the sound barrier without being enclosed in a machine of any kind) and falling 84,700 feet before opening his parachute. He landed safely after 13 minutes, 45 seconds after jumping.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Whoa, I just looked this guy up and this one pictures is pretty...spooky.

Seriously, all the guys who are ugly are supreme badasses. I don't know if anyone watched Fear Factor yesterday, but this 47 year old guy with two toes on one foot was playing to get his brother a wheelchair because he was injured in a tornado. The guy lived in the woods and eats opossums! Yeah, but anyways...super badass, not pleasant on the eyes.

Joseph Kittinger

And sadly, I can't find a picture of the guy on Fear Factor. HE HAD TWO TOES on his left foot, though.

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
Id do it in a heartbeat........skydiving was probably one of the biggest rushes ive felt.......to do it and break the sound barrier.......sounds like a badass time to me.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Uncle_T said:
sounds like a predecesor to i think its called HALO jumping... some miltary expert on here will know what i am talking about.
High Altitude Low Opening jumping, scary stuff, it would take one crazy person to go off and do something like that.

Although HALO jumps go to about 30,000 feet, this guy jumped at about 3 times that.

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
HALO and HAHO are far differant from this

for military oporations, HALO/HAHO jumps are done from around 35,000 feet. HALO jumpers open thier chuts pretty low to the ground, HAHO which stands for high altitude high opening open thier chuts at something like 25,000 feet so they can glide like long distances into where they want to go.

This guy jumped at 103,000 feet, like almost 3 times as high as a HALO jumper

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
If they could send guys up that high on balloons back in the early 60's, why dont they do that now for people willing to pay it?

I know if I had hundreds of thousands lying around I would definitely do it in a heartbeat. Not having people jump, but just taking them up there to that height. It must be mesmerizing.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
TonyD246 said:
Whoa, I just looked this guy up and this one pictures is pretty...spooky.

Seriously, all the guys who are ugly are supreme badasses. I don't know if anyone watched Fear Factor yesterday, but this 47 year old guy with two toes on one foot was playing to get his brother a wheelchair because he was injured in a tornado. The guy lived in the woods and eats opossums! Yeah, but anyways...super badass, not pleasant on the eyes.

Joseph Kittinger

And sadly, I can't find a picture of the guy on Fear Factor. HE HAD TWO TOES on his left foot, though.
I have made a very atute observation:

Will shatner broke the sound barrier? I think so.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts