Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to listen to and meet a World War II vet last Friday. It was really awesome listening to his stories from World war II, I even shook his hand and got to thank him. His name was Don Malarky and he was a paratrooper and was at D-Day, Bastogne and all sorts of places.

He was also one of the guys in Band of Brothers, he told us about some of the errors Hollywood made in the series.

Just thought some of you might like to know.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Yeah meeting vets of any war is pretty cool. A korean war vet walks his dog while I was usually at my bus stop and we used to talk a lot. I still run into him once in a while. Always wears his hat with his pins on it.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Pretty cool,I never really got to talk to my Grandpas about their experience in WWII because one died in the 80's and one died in like 94'.

In 8th grade we had some vet's come in and I got to talk to them. It was really cool hearing all their storys.

·
Pedobear Supporter
2,526 Posts
yeah my granddad on my mom's side is a Rear Admiral in the navy (Ret.) but it's really cool to see his stories. Despite what the world tells you, there really was conflict in the Cold War.

O

·
0 Posts
When you first said Don Malarky I was like "Is he kidding?" because I recognized the name.

Real cool, my grandpa (who died last November) was a WWII vet.

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
vets are awesome.. a few guys where i work are vets, and theyve all seen nasty firefights. one guy from the tet offensive in nam is like 40% deaf now and is very jumpy due to all the firefights.. he saw people get blown to pieces. i make sure to let them know i appreciate what they did when it comes up

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, Mr. Malarky had a lot of trouble hearing. I asked him how he felt emotionally when taking off for D-Day and he said that he fell asleep once he got in the plane because of the air sickness pills they gave them.

My neighbor is also a vet, he's Polish and flew for the RAF he got shot down twice and flew a Spitfire, he had some really cool stories. I got them on tape when I was interviewing him too.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
sNoW PIrAnHa said:
My neighbor is also a vet, he's Polish and flew for the RAF he got shot down twice and flew a Spitfire, he had some really cool stories. I got them on tape when I was interviewing him too.
My great grandfathers best friend (was his only friend..poor old guy) was a b17 belly gunner. He shot down 2 luftwaffe aircraft and he had to bail out of the b17 twice. I never got to meet him though because he died in the early 80s..

its crazy how so many shakey old men who can't really walk anymore used to be pretty badass in their day.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
thats cool, i've always wanted to meet a vet but our school always has firemen and crap for carrer day and nothing that has to do with the army, va sucks(thats why i moved away)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Vets are awesome

my grandpa is a vet from Korea

I also noticed all vets I've ever met are really dirty old men. Must be that old army spirit...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts