Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine wrote this up and sent it into his college newspaper, where they decided to publish it. I may be biased, but I thought it was well worth the read.

Luck of the Times (in the Nov. 19, 2008 in Tower at Kean)

Dear Editor,
On the night of November the fourth I was witness to an extraordinary event. As the results of the presidential campaign were announced the students of Kean poured from their dormitories into the center courtyard. A spontaneous mass of overjoyed students, women screaming like it was a rock concert and grown black men, tears in eyes, embracing noting that their son could be president. The crowd was diverse: black, white, Asian, and Hispanic, male and female. Students I know to have voted for John McCain and a girl who wrote in Hillary Clinton stood by as well. It didn’t matter, for fifteen minutes Americans were more united than ever before.

After returning home that night I recalled the event to my mother. She told me of an event forty years earlier when she attended Kean (then Newark State), where students assembled not to celebrate America’s first African American president but to protest the assignation of Dr. Martin Luther King. My father remembers those years, falling asleep on long hot summer nights in East Rahway to the riot sounds of chanting and broken glass. It is a marvel to think that forty Novembers ago a Democrat from Alabama ran for president as an independent openly calling for segregation. How lucky I am to have grown up not knowing southern fire hoses and exploding churches on the television. I am lucky to grow up in the times I did. We are all lucky to grow up in the times we did.

-TJH

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
good message, writing quality is less than what i would have liked, especially for the subject matter. Can i not understand, or is ''assignation'' (what was he being assigned to?) a painful typo for assassination?

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
It funny, i've never really had a problem with black people in general and I feel our generation as a whole does not. To me, he's just another guy who got elected. I have a very hard time understanding how black people in our generation don't' feel the same way. Do their parents and relatives pound into them that they're the skum of the earth or something; the media doesn't, the social society doesn't... at least, not where I live.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
It funny, i've never really had a problem with black people in general and I feel our generation as a whole does not. To me, he's just another guy who got elected. I have a very hard time understanding how black people in our generation don't' feel the same way. Do their parents and relatives pound into them that they're the skum of the earth or something; the media doesn't, the social society doesn't... at least, not where I live.
I think its different for them because when they take a look at our leaders they don't see many faces that look like theirs.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good message, writing quality is less than what i would have liked, especially for the subject matter. Can i not understand, or is ''assignation'' (what was he being assigned to?) a painful typo for assassination?
That's probably my typo from transfering the article from print to type.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts