Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinkign about my current financial issues. I've finally reached the point in my life where mommy and daddy don't buy my new toys, where I am just starting and learnign to take off of my own, and I got thinking on how being "budgeted" has actually helped me along in life.

People who are spoiled rotten always get whatever they want, but they don't really learn any rela values out of anything. No lessons to life, just I want this, so I'm goign to get it, and thats that. Kinda sad to think that these are the kinds of people who might be running the country and making the decisions.

I truely know the value of a buck, and I think that a lot of paintballers here are real spoiled and don't realise how lucky they are.

My little bro for example. When I was growing up his age, my family was poor. ****ing poor. When we went to the movies, we snuck our own food and candy in, not becuase we were rebels, but becuase we couldnt afford to pay. Not that we didn't want to or wanted to save, its because we couldnt afford it.

I use the movies as an example because my parents mentioned all this when we were there.

They have an arcade there. "WHen I was a kid we never had arcades, and when there were arcades we never got to play!" I proclaim while waiting 30 minutes after the movie for my little brother to waste off $5 on video games he could be playing if we were home now. My mom says they were there, and we couldnt becuase we couldnt afford it.

Well that got me thinking abotu a lot of things, adn it relaly put a lot of things into perspective. Yeah when I was 9 I used to thumb through sunday ads looking at the best buy brochure looking at the things I wish we had. But In place of all that stuff I didn't have, I think I have a better understanding of how things word. I duno....

I just got this brain fart idea of a thread from reading someones thread. I've known them for a bit, and a lot of you might not even know them, but in two months they've gone from hype to hype and bought 4 or 5 different guns. Mainly everything I suggested to them, the stuff I really want, but can't afford. I told them about paintball and how it works, now they have $3000 worth in equipment, way more hten I could ever dream abut,a nd I can only hope that they didn't buy their paintball skills... Today a lot of stuff got put into perspective for me.

can any of you poor people who have ever used duct tape to permanently fix household appliances relate? :shrug: Or am I just beign emo again? :rolleyes:

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
No, I can relate to you. I most definately know the value of a dollar. 90% of the things that I own were purchased with my money. It pains me to see these kids running around relying on mommys pocketbook for everything they want, but you know what Alpha? They don't posess the values that a person like you or I posess from not having everything they want, or using their own money to buy the things they want.

In the end, life will bite them in the ass...they will have thousands in overdue bills, and their credit will end up sh**.

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I think in the end, WE will haev overdue credit bills, and they will be sipping tea and eating caviar(sp) in their prissy little mansions. The truth is, we're oging to be working for them some day unless somethign changes.

All we're going to get out of life is knowing that we're better then they are not because of how fat our wallet is, but becuase we're smarter, more fit, and better people.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
Alpha said:
No, I think in the end, WE will haev overdue credit bills, and they will be sipping tea and eating caviar(sp) in their prissy little mansions. The truth is, we're oging to be working for them some day unless somethign changes.

All we're going to get out of life is knowing that we're better then they are not because of how fat our wallet is, but becuase we're smarter, more fit, and better people.

You have control of your future. You can be as financially sound as you wish to be, so long as you pursue it. If you are smart, and know how to manage your wallet then you will never have an overdue credit bill.

What Im saying is that once mommy and daddy are out of the picture, then these people will say "oh its ok ill put it on my visa" and next thing you know, they have no credit.

·
PbF Supporter
4,738 Posts
As much as I hate spoiled kids, If I was one, I most likely wouldn't complain. lol. I know its better to pay for stuff with your own money, but you have to addmit it would be cool to be like "Hey dad, can we go to the dealership and pick me up one of those new Dodge Vipers?" and your dad would reply "Sure, just lemmie finish this sandwich, I mean, it's a damn good sandwich, mmm mmm mmm... Then we'll go".

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL

Thats what I'm getting at. IT would be cool as hell, and we all wish and dream abou it, but its all just stuff.

I think by my parents saying no all the time has dome me a lot of good. Maybe not when I was throwing a tantrum, but 5,10, 15 years later it all makes sense, and I take joy looking at the fat kid in my shop class who doesn't know how to operate a lathe, much less know the difference between a bandsaw and a tablesaw. The same kid who lives in a huge mansion,g ets everythign he wants, and pays kids to do his homework and projects for him.

He also doesn't have earlobes but thats another story for another thread.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I'm not poor...but still. I pay for mostly all my own stuff. I bought my own computer, i bought my paintball ****, i pay for for cell phone/bill, anything else i need.

One kid on the young guns team of my field(same team as me but young guns) asked me why i dont buy this and that i told him i dont have the money. And he asked me why my parents dont pay for me and i just laughed...Mainly becuase he thinks mommy and daddy will always pay for him...

·
PbF Supporter
4,738 Posts
Yeah, I get kinda annoying around here with everyone and their parents paying for their licenses. It is required in the state of Ohio to have drivers Ed classes completed before you can obtain your license. No big deal right? WRONG! Places around here charge $300+ to go to their classes. The thing is, everyone I know their parents pay for there classes, or at least half. I have to pay it in full. Along with the money for my car and for my insurance. I don't even get lunch money anymore. I have to pay for literally EVERYTHING!

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont think its a matter of will mommy and daddy always pay for me.. I think if I asked for somethign reaonsable, my parents wouldn't hesitate to get it for me (just ebcuase they care so much) but it more has to do with teh fact that its not that important to me. Its not a necessity, so I'd rather see it saved and go to somethign more useful for them.. feel me?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I was one of those better off kids growing up, BUT when I turned 16 I got a job, paid for my own insurance ( I got to drive my dads work car, it was a 1988 chevy corsica) and I bought anything and everything I wanted. My parents didn't support me anymore and I'm grateful for that. It taught me alot. yea...I'll admit I wish mommy and daddy had continued to pay for everything the rest of the way through high school . Though, now 10 yrs later I'm really f'ing glad they didn't.

I've learned to appreciate the value of the dollar. Especially on military pay

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Alpha said:

that's a wad of bull****. my dad's good friend, a doctor - a very rich one, grew up from nothing. and by nothing, i mean nothing. he did everything he could to get through college, using food stamps to buy food ect, and now he's got his own optomistry clinic, and he drives a brand new mercedes-benz to it only 3 days a week. saying that if you're born broke you'll die broke is the same mentality of a hobo. im not rich, far from it. i pay for everything that i own, and im not even almost about to give up to your steriotypical image of a wealthy person.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
My parents both grew up poor, and as a result, my family has always been very frugal with our money. I felt poor even though realistically I wasn't. As I grew older, I developed a variety of interests that required a much more serious financial commitment. Sports teams and camps are not inexpensive, so my parents would go without certain things they would have liked to have had to maintain their financial situation.

As a result of this, not only have I saved up a lot of money that I could have very easily spent, I am actually going to graduate from my second degree with more money than I went into school with. Most people leave university in debt. I'm going to be a few grand up. In the long run its more important to learn a lesson than to enjoy a triviality.

As for who will be working for who. The kid who is spoiled will not develop a proper work ethic, so he will not be able to hold down a job, so he will end up working for the determined person who grew up poor.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
Angered Fists said:
As for who will be working for who. The kid who is spoiled will not develop a proper work ethic, so he will not be able to hold down a job, so he will end up working for the determined person who grew up poor.
unless mommy and daddy leave enough behind for the kid to leech from :rolleyes:

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
I don't think inherited money holds as much weight as it used to. So easy for them to blow it, especially if they continue to live the way they are accustomed to living.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
I guess it kinda depends on how rich they are. if it's "poor rich" :p then yeah he'll blow it all soon, then probably end up slitting his wrists listening to Dashboard Confessionals

D

·
0 Posts
i kinda wish i was poorer as a child, Id have a better respect and appreciation for things..

but i aspire to be homeless and a nomad, so we'll see

but its real late, and i just back from a walk to a coffee shop. So ill be up for a bit more

·
ShArPeYe
1,271 Posts
wowz im new to this forum and i c awsome things commin outa u guys... lol ... but really when i was younger i used to get everything i wanted and its not my fault(well partly) my parents just spoiled me sorta.. but now economy is flat and like we dont have the money we used to and im new to paintball so its a whole lota spending now and im feeling so bad and i keep insisting to pay but my dads like no i dont want u to now im like trying to stop as spending as much as i can...

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Alpha said:
LOL

Thats what I'm getting at. IT would be cool as hell, and we all wish and dream abou it, but its all just stuff.

He also doesn't have earlobes but thats another story for another thread.
truf. I would admit i get a little pampered by my parents, but that's b/c they care. I know the value of a dollar, and i know when to spend and when to save. I know what i actually need and what i want.

will this thread include pics of the ears?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts